Scanning on iPhone

I have read several tutorials on how to scan with iPhone, but I can’t get it to work.

The app isn’t able to find the scanner, whether I rename my iPhone to POP with the 12345678 password on the personal hotspot, or create a separate wifi network on my accesspoints with that information.

With both option I can see the POP is connected and has an IP-address. The app also has access to the network in the iPhone settings, so it should basically work.

I also have the latest app installed.

Anybody any idea what goes wrong and what to try next?

Regards,

Martijn

I initially had issues connecting my POP sensor to my iPhone (11 Pro Max), but after a while I found a method to getting the device to connect reliably:

These only have to be done once:

• Rename your phone to “POP”
  • Set hotspot password to “12345678”

Alternatively you can connect the POP sensor to your computer and open HandyScan. The “About” panel (top-right) has a button which lets you change the name you need to set your phone to and hotspot password, so you can keep your phone’s usual name and usual hotspot password - this is what I did.

From here each time you want to connect, this is the process I do:

• Go to Control Center and disable Wifi (the Wifi button should turn white)
  • Go to Settings → Personal Hotspot
  • Enter into the Password field and wait a moment, then exit without changing anything. The device should connect to your hotspot.
  • Exit settings and go to HandyScan
  • Tap “Scan”
  • It may take a few tries, but the device will show up in the list of devices. Tap it and you can begin scanning.

If this doesn’t work for you then I’m unsure how to help future, but this works for me at least!

1 Like

Hi Ryuvi,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried the steps you mentioned and I can see (blue personal hotspot icon is shown) that the POP is connected, but the Handy app just doesn’t show it when I choose scan. Very strange.

I was able to connect it to my Windows PC by USB cable, but I had an issue it would freeze up during scanning (Scanning on Windows), but that possibly has to do with some settings, which I will change and try again.

Hi @Ryuvi

Thank you so much for helping others in this forum. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Best Regards
Cassie

1 Like

Hi @MJanssen

Could you please try to wait for 10-20s after you click “allow others to join” the personal hotspot?

If still not work, please send a video with your connection steps to support@revopoint3d.com, and cc forum@revopoint3d.com, thank you.

Best Regards
Cassie

Hi Cassie.

I can see POP is connected to my iPhone, as the green Personal Hotspot icon appears on my iPhone and the POP shows a greed LED.

I have waited 20 seconds and even longer, but I still get the error when trying to scan from the app.

Hi @MJanssen

Sorry for this issue. Could you please send us a video with all your connection steps and show the problem? I will transfer it to our engineer and ask them to confirm what’s wrong.

If it is confirmed defective, we will resend you a new one.

Best Regards
Cassie

1 Like

I have the same issue. It keeps searching but never to be found. I have been able to connect on my Mac, but it is very slow. Unsuccessful on my phone. Just keeps spinning

Hi @Bokeholics

Please also send a video with your connection steps and show the problem, you can send it to support@revopoint3d.com, CC forum@revopoint3d.com.

Best Regards
Cassie

basically your software(s) is a total mess, sometimes it works and I am able to get the scanner working on my IPhone, few hours or days later the scanner cannot be detected by the phone. instructions on how to do are incomplete (I had to read proper procedure on the forum and altought the forum is exhaustive it is also not complete). same per PC software wich always crashes during meshing! worst experience I have ever made with an electronic device! Total rubbish!

Hi @Wikipiero

Sorry so much. We will keep upgrading our software.

Best Regards
Cassie

After many attempts I am finally able to get the POP working on my IPhone 8 (both OS 14 and OS 15)! This is how I do and how it works for me: no need to disable the WIFI or remove/unpair any connection to the router. Using Handyscan on my PC I renamed my POP as “iPhone8” (same name as my cellphone) and set a proper pwd (same as per my iPhone hotspot), btw it is a crazy idea to rename the cellphone with the same name as per POP and change the pwd accordingly, in this way all previous recorded connections on the phone will be lost. Now it is enough to switch on the hotspot and switch on the POP, they link flawlessly until… it is necessary to have at least a weak connection to the cellphone service provider (3G or whatever I have). If I have no 3G connection (regardless I have or not have a working wifi with internet access) I can’t link the POP to the cellphone. On the PC side handyscan remains a total mess and it continues to crash when meshing. I tried all the software revisions, it sometimes worked fine and then started to crash without any resonable reason. What really uosets me is the launch of the new POP2: Revpiont is not still able to provide a reliable software for the POP and after less than one year from the delivery of first batch of POPs they are launching a newer version. shame on them!

I have exactly the same issue described here. POP works fine connected to PC via cable. POP connects to personal hotspot correctly, iPhone reports POP as connected to personal hotspot, light turns green, but HandyScan searches forever and never finds the POP. I’ve let it search for twenty minutes, it just isn’t going to happen. I’ve tried every possible sequence of plugging the POP into the battery, launching HandyScan, etc., with no change. This is beyond frustrating after spending extra $ for the mobile package, which flat doesn’t work at all.

iPhone 8, iOS 14.8, five bars of Sprint LTE.

Hi @datac ,

Could you please check the local network permission setting of the Handy Scan and see if it has this permission?

Best Regards
Cassie

There is no entry at all for Handy Scan under Local Network. I’ve tried disabling/enabling cellular data for Handy Scan, uninstalled/reinstalled Handy Scan, rebooted the phone, etc., with no change.

Hi @datac ,

Can you please delete the Handy Scan, and re-download it from the App store?

Best Regards
Cassie

I did that several times before posting here, no change.

Hi @datac ,

Sorry for this issue. May I know if you use the newest Handy Scan?

Best Regards
Cassie

Yes, 2.0.0.1018 is the only version available in the Apple store.

Hi @datac ,

Could you revise the default name and password of POP to the same as your home wifi? You can do this on your Windows PC or Mac via USB connection.

Then connect your iPhone to this home wifi. After that, I think you can use the iPhone.

Best Regards
Cassie