Prototype #1 Range 3D Scanner | PUTV showcase thread

Here on request , how small objects you can scan with Range 3D Scanner
the volume for the smallest object at this moment is 50 x 50 x 50 mm , scanning distance starts at 300-350 mm where POP2 ends in Feature Mode .

To better understand , Range starts where POP2 ends , but starting at 300mm scanning distance an object scanned with POP2 and Range will have the same quality , however higher scanning distance will decline POP2 quality but not the one of Range .

in this image below you see where POP2 ends and Range starts

and here some smaller volume tests examples between 50-350mm
of course it is still just Beta prototype so nothing is written yet in a stone.

But it will give you an idea what you actually can do with Range when scanning smaller volumes on its own.

Note: RANGE is not a replacement for POP2 , POP2 will still deliver better accuracy at 15cm distance scanning the same objects above.
All scanned objects above with Range was scanned just with one 360 degrees rotation between 360-450 frames.

4 Likes

Do you have any insight on the approximate price of the upcoming Range Kickstarter?

No I don’t , the price will be revealed when the KS starts in February, but personally I don’t expect it to be much different from other devices from previous KS campaign. Just guessing…

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. Well at least I found out more about when to expect it to show up.
I too was thinking it would be in the price range of the Mini.

1 Like

I remember the Range Kickstarter was going to be announced at the end of November. When did this change?

Stunning scanning quality. Absolutely beautiful the pose, the theme, and the framing. Eager to see more of your new scans!

1 Like

Amazing topology and detail. I’m curious about the textures. Can you show us how it looks with color/texture in a future post? Thanks in advance!

When Revopoint is ready , they will announce the exact date etc publicly .
Sorry that is all I can say to it.
I am not allowed to talk publicly about the exact details .

1 Like

Thank you Richard , I am not really allowed to post yet the color scans since we use very early prototype at this moment and not everything is ready yet.

I just posted the scan render converting the RGB data to textures manually , I posted it above ( white boots 2 x 3D color renders )

2 Likes

I found the email from Revopoint last week saying that the Kickstarter campaign had been moved to February. I get over 150 emails per day, so it had slipped my notice.

2 Likes

Ok so this looks all good for now but I would like to know why it seems Revo have taken a step backwards on this scanner?

Mini: Precision of up to 0.02mm
Range: Single-frame Precision Up to 0.1mm

Can someone clear this up as I see it as a step backwards and its the software that is going to do the work here not the scanner or am I way off the mark here

The Range uses an infrared laser while the Mini uses a blue laser. A laser at a much longer wavelength would lead to lower resolution, thus lower precision. The Pop 2 also uses an infrared laser and captures objects at 0.1 mm precision.

MINI resolution is 0.02mm Range resolution is 0.1mm
The accuracy is also much different because different kind of objects will be scanned.
You can’t scan a full car with 0.02mm resolution as this would be enormous task and need lots of resources and processing time .

This is not going backwards , that is how Structured Light works , objects that are scanned at 10cm will have always higher accuracy and resolution than objects scanned far away .
Both scanners are lasers , but Infrared laser is much better as it can scan all colors , Blue light laser is limited and not good choice for this job.

Range start scanning at 300mm distance and ending at 1200mm , MINI at 100mm and ending at 200mm, so Range have 1000mm bigger range allowing to scan big objects easy .

Not POP2 or MINI can do what Range can … and vice versa
with Structured Light Scanners, you need to have different scanner for a different jobs, not just one , as this technology don’t works this way as different hardware is required for different jobs.

Range just complete the line of tools.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

On the contrary. If you take into account the size of the objects, the relative resolution of the range promises to be just staggering and perhaps the biggest improvement since the initial Pop was launched. Initial reports also points to a much better performance in keeping track with 20fps, as well as the handling of dark colours.

If any… the only concern might be now what to do with Pop 2. Does Pop 2 still have a place if you have the Mini for small items and the Range for the rest?

BR,

Roberto

The POP2 still have better accuracy between 15 cm to 25 cm distance , more accuracy sharper textures and details .

For scanning bigger objects than human head , not so anymore .

MiNI is just for very small objects so for me it can’t replace POP2 , plus it don’t like all colors , so I use it just for very fine objects .

Range definitely is not a replacement for POP2 , but Range deal better with bigger objects than POP2 … but also POP2 deal better with bigger objects than MINI …

I still love my POP2 as I use it most of the time , especially for color scans .

But if anything bigger than 25 cm , I switch to Range now .

So full set of tools by the hand when you need it .

BTW Range is 12-18 frames per second… the specifications was updated to average max 18 .

MINI 9-15 cm distance
POP2 15-30 cm distance
Range 30- 120 cm distance

The accuracy compliment each other here with the distance .

3 Likes

Did you mean to say 120cm? 1200cm would be over 30 feet, which would be impressive, but not what I would expect for this scanner.

1200 mm , sorry typo , I was thinking in mm lol

1 Like

Actually I made some hacks and bring it to 250 cm … however I would need to impress the dev team more to allow it officially. The hardware is very impressive especially the new Depth sensors , it could be great for capturing VR elements at that distance , however as with all structured light 3D scanner the accuracy decreases with distance , so going above 120cm things get softer however no noises .

3 Likes

I am new to the forum, and 3D printing. As a hobbyist, I can’t wait for the Range to be available, I’ve researched many, and based on what I’m into, I think I will wait for the range to come out. I’m into classic cars, and faces/humans, pets, etc. It seems the Range will be the best overall scanner for me.

4 Likes