Prototype #1 Range 3D Scanner | PUTV showcase thread

Wow!
Great result
If we think it’s a beta unit, truly a promising scanner

2 Likes

Thank you Davide , right? I did not expected the results with the Beta unit , as the level of details at that distance is beyond POP2 capacity, and it is just a Beta unit.
Looking forward to your first Range scans showcase thread ! so excited !

1 Like

Impressive results. I am looking forward to the non-Beta release.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff ! more samples on the way as the days will pass …

1 Like

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :heart:that trully is amazing! This are showcases revopoint needs for getting attention their products deserve! More of such showcases and more will pick revopoint range instead of einscan einstar for example.

2 Likes

Thank you @ivan

When you look at one pass of Einstar result by Shining3D expert.

And one pass of Range

(Not edited raw one pass handheld scan meshed in Revo Studio)

The result is clear

However this topic is about Range , so let keep the others out of it in the future.

It is really not a competition as everyone buy things what works best for them .

One like shiny gadgets, others prefer a scan quality … :relaxed:

6 Likes

Holy :cow2:! :astonished: I am so glad you have access to all these 3d scanners and can compare them so I only have to buy the best ( and affordable) ones :grin:

3 Likes

That all looks amazing. I wonder if they’d ever consider chaining scanners. Use a Range in a static position to track a Mini to give that additional positioning boost to the software above the Mini’s IMU to assist in difficult scans.

1 Like

That would be great Jerry , but if they ever consider something like that? Who knows

The power of Range is a big FOV and 20 frames per second . Greater distance between features/Markers is the key here to keep proper tracking .

I would love love for Range to have pre-scanning option ( a guide) where you could finish the final scan using MINi , however it could ends quickly in a monstrous size meshes .
I used Range for a month and already had to clean / move 700GB of data yesterday , big scans take big space after all .

3 Likes

I come from engineering, so both people scanning (for custom fitting to a person) and recording or reverse engineering semi-bespoke machinery is in my background.

Prescanning would be a great mode. I know I just saw another thread where they were combining a POP2 scan with Mini overlays to create a large, detailed scan. Being able to do that in automatic, or just in places where it matters would be amazing.

I was envisoning this as using the Range and Mini together, with or without an initial Range scan. Use the Range as a “virtual absolute tracking arm” where the Range feeds the system some absolute MINI positioning only. Sorta like a mini C Track/Probe/Metra SCAN combo without mortgaging the house. You’d need fewer targets but could do difficult scans of entire stationary objects or just high detail areas, and it would allow for easier auto alignment even across low detail areas (or if you’re moving fast).

I just saw the other thread with the auto frame scan. In a situation where the Range was used to create and navigate a large scan, so it would do the major locating, then both provide an overlay map and additional positioning feedback to the Mini would be amazing.

This would only work with the MINI currently as it’s the only scanner not using IR.

3 Likes

Definitely Jerry , now if they only would consider to write a program performing that .

This is all really possible , but for now they focus on polishing current software so everything works as expected as there is so many things still to be addressed .
Once they finish it completely, I hope freelance programmers get the chance to work on it as that would allow the device to perform beyond their original purpose.

I must admit I made couple little hacks already extending the performance for my private usage .

Having this technology in your hand opens a window for many possibilities , hopefully Revopoint don’t stop on this one .

2 Likes

Hi,

I have a specific question… Apart from pop/pop2, I also have a Structure Sensor, also from Kickstarter. I know that the quality of the scans with the Range will be on a different level, but… what about user experience? Right now I am able to get scans of people for small figurines very easy almost on the spot, with no preparations on my side with ItSeez3d. What about with the Range? (specially without the turntable)

BR (and thanks in advance for your all your help)

Roberto

1 Like

Hi Roberto ,

it is more about the ability to scan a bigger objects the easy way , so it is easy to scan 6 feet person thank 4 cm rubber duck if you know what I mean .

The power of Range is the ability to pickup features that are not as intense like on smaller objects , so easy for tracking .

You really don’t need to use turntable however it is the fastest way for objects with that type , but you can scan handheld as good as on turntable

I would recommend at least 16GB tablet or laptop when you want a full potential, how more how better , you can scan with phones and tablets with 8GB but the size of the model will get limited since big models need more RAM while processing .
I scanned the above with my win11 tablet 16GB , if you scan with a 8GB tablet or 6GB phone , don’t mesh it on it, export it to meshing in Revo Studio .

The new Range come with the new improved software , scanning was never as easy before, you can trust me on that … beside shiny metals and transparent you can scan even black plastic , it is powerful little thing .

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed answer!

However… my question was focused solely on the comparation with ItSeez3d, or more in general, the chances of having success with Range in quick scans under non-optimal circumstances.

Imagine the scenario: Going to someone’s place, perhaps on holidays, and been able to scan a friend or even an unknown person or an object almost on the fly and as quick as possible, so it is all about portable devices and simplicity.

Structure was rated to 30/60fps and it shows. Color/metal was also never a concern. Only transparent items could not be scanned. Here you have an example done on my latest holidays, an Orthodox priest As you can see… looks like a torture test for black colour ;-). Only issue here is the level of detail, but if you only intend to print a 1/35 figurine… might be enough.

I hope I am clearer now.

BR,

Roberto

Sorry Roberto I am not using ItSeez3d/Sense , the mesh quality is very low and it it is total different technology and usage needs than Range . So it never was my interest to get one .

Range is for the mesh quality , so if you need to scan people with quality details you can see in the preview above how it looks like and compare yourself , the scanning time with handheld Range will be propably the same as with Structure , it is very fast and very easy to use without any extra setup needed .
Range is Infrared Structure Light scanner , so it can’t scan shiny metals or transparent surfaces .

it all depends on what you need , if you use just your phone for the whole process you will not get the best quality and details as the mesh will be simplified as phone usually have not enough RAM to process higher quality meshes , but if you go out and scan a friend, and then mesh it later on your computer then yes .

You know best what you need after all , so if you look for better quality meshes to print than Structure then it would be good choice.

2 Likes

No worries, this is exactly what I wanted to figure out in advance (if I can replace Structure with Range for that specific use case)

Anyway… unless the price goes crazy, most likely I will end up getting it in the next Kickstarter round.

BR,

Roberto

2 Likes

That’s good to hear

You will be able to see some videos in action before the KS so you can see for yourself .
Right now we are not allowed to post videos yet, as it is little too early for the first Beta prototype.

3 Likes

What I’m most excited about is using the Range to scan cockpits of aircraft to develop them for flight simulator.

I know @Johnathan was scanning dark car dashboard with it , so I am sure it will works for scanning references for whatever big project you are up to.

2 Likes

Some smaller scan with Range , only one pass 360 degrees around 400 frames at around 40cm distance .
No edited , fused point cloud meshed in Revo Studio

Boot1

Boot2

Here 3D renders of the 3D Scan
The 8 million poly scan was simplified to just 2K poly and rendered with Displacement , Normal and Albedo maps extracted from the mesh.

Nothing really mind blowing here , but the fact that was scanned with just one rotation of 360 degrees make it kind of special if you into assets for games or organic modeling etc…

4 Likes