RANGE 3D scans showcase | 3DVF.com

Hello everyone,

I’m Benoit from 3DVF.com .
Following our review of the MINI ( Revopoint MINI Review - Impressive 3D scans at an affordable price! - YouTube ) Revopoint was kind enough to send us a Revopoint RANGE review unit.

I’ll post a few tests here. This first batch is an attempt to check out how well the RANGE perform outdoors.

Settings:

• overcast sky (lots of clouds, not too much light)

• Android app v3.2.1

• Scan mode : feature

• Accuracy : High Accuracy

• slight post-processing to fill a few holes and to trim the edges of the 3D models.

• Let’s begin with this impressive fish near the Louvre in Paris, France. The subject is about 1.8m tall from the ground to the top of the scanned area.

And here’s the end result: quite impressive !

I stumbled into memory issues once I reached about 3000 frames (it is quite easy, with such a big subject that that lots of overhangs, to reach a very high number of frames), which is why there are a few areas that were not scanned. I’ll have to work on my workflow.
Looks like there is a workaround [Tips] What can you do when your phone is almost out of memory? - Multiple Scans , but it’s probably even better to just split the scan: for example, I could have scanned the head first, then the tail, and used Revo Studio afterwards to fuse the scans.

• What about dark objects ? Let’s try this out with a street lamp.

Not bad! The model is less detailed due to the fact that the street lamp is dark and a bit reflective.

• Another scan: sculpted stones on a building.

The texture is quite underwhelming, but there are some nice details when you look at the geometry.

11 Likes

Very nice scans @shadows44
did you meshed the point cloud on your computer ? or you meshed it on Android ?
We know that Android can’t produce much details so that may be reason why things are more softer in appearance as the accuracy is slightly lower.

But big props for the outdoors scans

1 Like

Thx a lot for sharing! Never managed to scan outdoor neither with my pop1 or pop 2.,no matter the weather and how late it was.
That’s why I am glad with range it is doable at least to some extent.

1 Like

Good question, I should have included this information in the previous post: the meshes were processed on Android. I know you don’t get the same level of detail, but I wanted to check how fast the app was able to process a big scan.
Overall I would advise against processing the scans on Android: not because you loose some details, but because it will drain your battery very quickly. :smile:

Here is the street lamp processed on a PC (Revo Studio 3.0.7.6, HD Mesh Level: UHD, Fill Holes activated): there are indeed more details. You can see that there are some reconstruction artifacts, for example in the bottom right corner: I think there were some tracking/alignment issues during the scan.
The scan might seem “noisy” but this is not the case: there are indeed bumps and dimples on the street lamp, so the surface should not be perfectly smooth.

I also reprocessed the fish (although you don’t really see the difference between PC and Android processing when looking at the whole model: you have to zoom in to appreciate it):

And here are the sculpted stones, reprocessed on PC: this one really shows how much improvement you can get. Lots of details recovered on the flowers, I’m very impressed with the end result.

8 Likes

That looks much better @shadows44
I stopped using Android with Range , and switched to table/ PC when under way just for capturing , and later fusing and meshing on my workstation .to be able to get proper fusion at the maximum level . Android don’t allow you to save the project so fusing time can take the time away too much and drain the battery.
But anyway your android scans looking very good ! thanks for sharing

1 Like

I would also advise against using Range on mobile when possible, but for outdoor scanning Range + power bank handle + cable + your own smartphone makes for a very compact and lightweight kit, and I really feel that’s the way to go. I do wish you could save the project before the fusion step, though: as you said, this would create a faster workflow and save battery. Hopefully Revopoint will add this feature.

By the way @PUTV , do you know if disabling texture/color saves up some memory on mobile? I tried it once or twice but it didn’t seem to increase the maximum number of frames, or at least not in a noticeable way.

2 Likes

Yes the dev.team added it to the list already hopefully in the future .

Yes of course , scanning without color increases the amount of frames a lot .
I will check the exact number and let you know .

2 Likes

I just checked, and I actually got the same result with or without color: 3000 frames, always the same number. Which is unexpected, if scanning without color means rgb values are not stored in memory. :thinking:
(I used the latest Android release on a Galaxy S10 smartphone and freed as much memory as I could - about 4 gigs of RAM available before launching the app)

1 Like

How much GB on your phone in total ?
3000 frames on 4GB is not bad at all , but you should have more without color or it makes no sense , colors taking away lots of frames as you have additional data unless they store it now temporary directly on the HD .
I will check in a moment

1 Like

8GB total. Indeed, the numbers I get are quite weird.

1 Like

With 4GB available on my phone (total 6GB) I am getting only 2000 frames , no matter what mode high accuracy or low accuracy , color or not .

So something changed in the last app , I always got more frames without color before .

I did not noticed that since not using Android app for scanning for some while now .

That makes sense , with 2GB you get additional 1000 frames . That why you have 3000 based on your 8GB phone regardless how much is available .

Edit: just checked my Android tablet 8GB - 3000 frames nothing more nothing less no matter the settings .

1 Like

A human (Thomas ‘Gorkab’ Martin, some of you might know him from his Youtube Channel focused on the history of visual effects https://www.youtube.com/@Gorkab/videos ) scanned in an open space.
Scan settings:

• scan captured using the Android App, body scan mode /high accuracy setting, meshed on PC at the highest settings
  • poor lighting conditions (windows nearby, lights overhead: uneven lighting, possibly a few lens flares)

We used some spray on the shoes but it didn’t really help, we should probably have used much more or used baby powder instead.
There are a few artifacts here and there, I think this is due to tracking/alignment issues, but nothing that can’t be cleaned.
There are issues on the hair but this was completely expected since the subject has dark hair and no powder was used.

Another interesting test: what happens when you put Revopoint RANGE in the hands of someone that has never used it?
(same settings as before)

• first attempt: tracking issue, let’s try again
  • second attempt: success! The quality isn’t as good as the previous scan but again, this was done by someone who had no previous experience with Revopoint products.

7 Likes

Excellent scans

-Sam

Hi @shadows44 ,

Thank you for sharing these excellent scans, especially the scan result from someone who never used our products before. This is what many users want to see.

Best Regards
Cassie

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, this is exactly the kind of samples I was looking for (and they are looking really great! :grinning:)

1 Like

New outdoor scans in Paris (Père Lachaise Cemetery). Cloudy sky, everything was scanned using the Android app, then processed on a computer using Revo Studio. Screenshots are straight from Revo Studio.

• I’m quite satisfied with this one:

Unfortunately, since (as far as I know?) Revo Studio doesn’t handle textures but only vertex colors, you don’t get detailed textures with my current workflow.

• an angel and plants sculpted on the side of a door. Interestingly, the top of the head of the angel couldn’t be scanned (there’s a hole in the point cloud): the stone broke off not too long ago I think, it was brighter than the rest of the sculpture, and I guess it reacted differently to infrared light. Same thing on the nose. (the broken nose is not a scanning artifact, it really is broken in real life)

it seems that there was a tracking or alignment issue, and there are artifacts in the upper part of the plants. Too bad I didn’t notice it on site, I could have made another attempt.

• a quick scan before I left: this bronze statue has an intricate hairstyle that would make for a nice scan. Unfortunately, there was a tracking/aligment issue.
    Hopefully the software will evolve and let users try to re-align frames, or discard individual frames from the whole scan and not just cancel frame starting from the end: this would greatly improve the odds of getting a successful scan.

Overall, materials such as grey stone, worn out bronze are good candidates for outdoor scanning on an overcast day. As I said above, some materials won’t be suitable: very white stone (probably too much IR), for example.

3 Likes

That’s the problem when you just fuse with Android app and mesh in Revo Studio , you losing 30% of the details and the meshing in Revo Studio is a raw meshing that do not eliminate bad alignments as Revo Scan batch processing or Revo Scan direct can do automatic.
When you meshing in Revo Studio , you need to use all the tools like removing overlapped points and lose points from point cloud before processing to mesh .
Still if you did , Android app do simplified point clouds anyway at lower accuracy as phones or tablets can’t process that kind of scans at full quality .

However despite the lower accuracy it still looking very cool.

3 Likes

I agree. Having the ability to record the raw data on an Android device and fuse it on PC would still be nice, as this would give users more options to choose from (I really like the idea of scanning using a mobile device because it’s less conspicuous and very lightweight), but as you said earlier, using something like a tablet PC makes more sense if the goal is to get as much detail as possible when scanning outdoors.

Apart from the lost details at the fusing and meshing stages, I also assume that the lower accuracy and lower capture framerate will increase the probability of getting tracking issues during the scan.