POP2 - PUTV 3D Models Showcase Progress & Tips

@JeffLindstrom

feature mode with 19mm object - POP2

Without supporting objects no way to scan this kind of volume without losing track .

4 Likes

When you think that POP2 was everything you need .
You find this in your mail box :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

MINI

Thanks Revopoint , it is an honor to become your Beta Tester for this MINI prototype .
In 3 days I will start a new thread related to MINI , stay tuned !

5 Likes

3D Markers on steroid :joy:

I dropped 2 of the mini magnets into each of them while printing so they stick to my scanning plate and are easy to collect and arrange .

7 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: This is a separated complaint comments from POP 2 Tips post

It is time for MINI, new thread is here !

I have bought that thing, but anyhow all the buttons on the remote control are uselesse. i cant see any differences regarding the speed.

the speed is between 20 to 60 sec per 360 degree rotation , and my remote working just fine , you should hear a sound each time you press the button .

Finally one month passed and here is my personalized new URL to my YT channel :

My MINI premiere video and showcase will be on my channel on May 30

Hi Folks , I recommend you get the new Revo Scan updated version , it has expanded gain settings so better capture for close up white objects , eliminating the needs for ND filter in most cases and smoother capture of point cloud frames. I tested it for a couple days now , and works so much better.
I tried to get the exposure gain on a lower values while testing but the currently base settings are the best and most balanced for the light and darker areas.
Now when you scan objects that are darker than white , you will need to increase the gain value to find better balance between the red and blue indicator in the Depth preview window to get nice bright gray color of your scanned object.

Ah and the infamous exit button is gone :wink: however " you want " got missed , oh well until the next update.

Edit :and of course I forgot to mention the CPU usage at 9-12% while scanning !

https://forum.revopoint3d.com/t/windows-revo-scan-v4-0-2/15919

3 Likes

I installed aluminium heatsink with thermal paths on top of my POP2 to help dispense the heat better when working with POP2 for many hours (5-10h) .However when I am done building my new stationery case , I will have 2 mini fans on top powered with my PC/power bank for additional cooling if needed .

4 Likes

Well, after running some tests with 6000 frames , it lowered the POP2 temp to 10C less, keeping the device at 1C more than the ambient temp. Usually my pop2 runs at 37C without heatsink after 4000 frames . Did not expected that .

4 Likes

Fantastic job, so sleek and effective.

Are those RAM coolers?

1 Like

No Gerald, that are 2 x M2 SSD aluminium heatsinks with thermal sticky paths ( for no fans setup), very aesthetic look , I did not even expected it to work much , since I buy them to use inside the case with mini fans , but it absorb the heat as advertised .
I could not find the proper size , but the package has 2 of them and fit almost perfect . I want my case to be low profile .

I want to create air flow like that , of course the cover up will be there with vents to
take away the heat in place of pushing it down , for more efficient cooling when working in higher ambient temperatures to speed the process.

4 Likes

Also I plan for tomorrow my first double axis turntable idea for 3D scanning with 360 degrees rotation and max tilt of 36% . Waiting for the main parts to arrive .
I need it for a very very small objects to use with MINI and for POP2 I would be able to use the main small turntable with it and quick release , so scanning in one sessions without pausing and rotating the objects anymore for continue tracking .

I was looking at the Artec Micro 3D scanner the other day and it sparkles a simple idea .

Useful information but it contradicts what is said in the manual:
“Brightness and Gain (the sun icon ) can be manually adjusted for best results (the areas not displayed in red will return point cloud data while scanning)” meaning that if you can see it and it isn’t red, it will scan.
But you show that if it is in red, it will scan. And also, you say that if it is in blue, gain is too low so presumably, it won’t scan.
No wonder users are frustrated with the scanner. The information on how to use it properly has to be (excuse me for the expression) mined like gold by sifting through a mountain of information to find a few specs of useful information.

I am building that “OpenScan Large” scanner frame, with GRBL control, but it will take awhile…

PUTV, do you have a clear lens cover on your POP? (Seem like one in the last picture)

1 Like

This is getting depressing. It seems that if I want to get good results from this consumer level scanner, I need to have the knowledge of a 3D scanning professional, buy extra equipment (light studio, scanning arm) and then use trial and error to learn all the information that a user manual should have in it. I should have bought an iphone with Lidar or a more expensive professional scanner.

Steps of POP ownership

1. This does not work.
  2. Wow, it just worked, but
  3. Wow, it just resuming scanning at 90 degrees, how can it do that
  4. This is the best tool ever…
2 Likes

Too many changes happened since the beginning , so a lot of informations are not more accurate

you definitely don’t want to have red and blue under your Depth preview window , the best is only light gray image you see , and that is number one key for proper scanning . It was different before but things changed . We learning as we go , and new users need to dig things out , that is true too .

The gain settings changed again in the last version for better , both computer and mobile version , so you can’t run on autopilot with old manual in your hand . The manual is more of a starter instruction than a real manual that will bring you through the whole process with all possibilities .
It always looks easy when someone else doing it .

We all was there on the beginning and experienced the same on some point , and lots of trial and error and practice put us where we are today , without manuals .
Mostly 3D scanning companies organizing curses for their customers and actually teach them , this not matter you paid $500 or $20K , same thing , there is no one scan in the world that will do the job with a push of a button … not yet .
Companies advertise the scanners possibilities , not what the customer is capable to do with it , because everyone is on a different level , or have more or less experiences with this kind of things .

I see you want to use it proper and are hungry for more information , that is already a good start !

1 Like

Well said Gerald, well said , we saw many situations like that before …