Firtst Scan with the Pop 2

GWTeal Scan 3C

I got my Pop 2 last Friday. I’m glad I took a chance with Kickstarter. I got it set up, read the downloadable users manual, and launched into it. I’ve done a limited amount of photogrammetry 3D so I was aware that it might take several tries and adjustments, an was ready for a couple of hours work. It took less than 30 min. and I was pretty amazed with the outcome - and it came without hours of taking photos, loading them, removing backgrounds, etc. This is a 10" long duck decoy. I will clean it up a bit, mainly removing a couple of remnants. Later I’ll probably try slicing it into layers so it can be cut out by a CNC machine in wood, restacked to make the duck, and paint it up. Tom

8 Likes

My end game is also to use the models for a CNC router. For smaller scans so far Im very impressed with POP2.

However for a larger scan I’ve been attempting for a couple of days of troubleshooting of Revoscan I am still unable to work around the memory limitations.

I will try multiple scans via Handyscan but am finding that software to be less than optimal.

Ultimately I suspect I will need to take multiple incomplete fusions and export them all to Meshlab and then allign them for the complete model in post production.

Very nice scan btw.

1 Like

Hi @hilyete ,

The scan result is impressive! Thank you for sharing it with us. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Looking forward to more scan results from you. :grinning:

Best Regards
Cassie

Hi @Swiftwater11 ,

Thank you for sharing your user experience.

May I know more details about the “memory limitations” you said? How many frames did you scan? (Just want to learn about it, then discuss with our developer team to see if we can improve)

Btw, are you still using Handy Scan? You can test the new Revo Scan, which can get better scan results. And you can also test our Revo Studio, and it has the alignment feature too.

We will keep improving our software.

Best Regards
Cassie

1 Like

too much light, but for the first scan I’m very happy, still need to run the calibration… but right out of the box very impressed this is going to make my life so much easier. This is amazing thank you Revopoint for bringing the POP 2 into my life lmao I can’t wait for what’s to come @Revopoint-Cassie

1 Like

Hi @keifer ,

Thank you for your kind words. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I have a suggestion, for this white color sample, you can scan it with “No color”, and keep the distance at “Excellent”, usually the exposure of depth camera only needs to be 1 or 2 (just my experience, it depends on the real condition) - you can click “Auto” first, then “Manual”.

Here is a video which made by me (use a Mac Pro with Wi-Fi connection), you can review it for a reference. (Sorry, it was made in Chinese for team training, I am too busy to make another one at this period, just for your reference.)

Remember to use the “High Accuracy” mode with your POP 2.

Looking forward to more scan results from you!

Best Regards
Cassie

thanks, @Revopoint-Cassie, I’m using it on PC through true USB 3.0 and it’s great I will need to change it over to GPU rendering though so I don’t destroy my CPU… that being said, I had it “excellent” distance and my big mistake was I used a LED flashlight on it, I thought the environment was too dark but in the results, it showed it with a shadowing gradient as seen near the bottom. I will do a review of the Android and PC connection videos for you soon. and I will continue to post updated scans.

1 Like

@Revopoint-Cassie this is the update

1 Like

can you add the video?

thank you

Memory limitations on the handheld wifi scans, due to it pulling from my phone’s memory which is far more limited than my computer.

Ive given up for now on trying to scan the large object with the handheld, the software does not allow to continue scanning beyond a certain point.

Max limit is 2000 frames. I attempted doing multiple scans with various increments, 1000 frames, 300 frames - it doesn’t stop the software from eventually freezing up and not repopulating the model upon resuming scan - the model doesnt reappear, and the entire program freezes.

I have plugged it back into my main computer and am finding that Revoscan can do multiple scans through the computer without much issue so far.

Hi @keifer ,

Thank you for your effort! It’s much better than the previous one. I believe that after you use POP 2 after some time, you can get a even better result soon.

(This is the screenshot from the video I posted. Check the detail of the eyes. But it is the sample sculpture of POP, and the size is a little larger. But this POP 2’s sample can also be scanned like this.)

Best Regards
Cassie

1 Like

Scanned and cleaned up using the latest beta versions of revo scan and studio. The workflow is great.

3 Likes

Hi @Daboo ,

This scan result is so good! Thank you for sharing.

Best Regards
Cassie

@Daboo very good scan results !

So far the Pop 2 is terrible. I can’t get a usable scan. It’s so choppy and keeps doubling the image. I’ve followed the guide from Revopoint and it still doesn’t scan well. No videos that have in detail inform on what the exposure should look like. Very disappointed and super frustrated thus far.

1 Like

I do not agree with you , it is an excellent device providing excellent results if you know how to use is, 3D scanning never was or is easy , especially when we speak about laser scanning at this accuracy .
There is no magic button , I have more expensive scanners that cost 10 times more and requests even more work than POP2 with less good results .
There is never a standard exposure for anything , so one person settings will never match your settings , making video about will only provide the setting for the situation and not provide any standard values for all.

What you need here is a very detailed video explaining the functions of the scanner in a random situations with a random objects to better understand what is really happening .
Scanning a simple egg is always more difficult than complex figure and there is huge reason for that .

If you are not willing to learn about 3D scanning in general and get familiar with the process of it , all you will have left is trial and error but that can be very frustrating if you don’t know where to begin with, so I get your point but that is also not a reason to turn your back on a great device you have in your possession . It is really worth trying . I would pay double the whole price if I knew before how good it is.

Remember cameras do not take pictures, you do …
and I see lots of newbies progressing already so well achieving great results because there is never a stupid question … that what the forums are here for, to help you out if you only want any help… in place of complaining about your lack of expertise, blaming everything else but yourself , and you need to face the truth… right now you really sucks on 3D scanning but that don’t have to be this way .

2 Likes

@PUTV

Inspirational !!

1 Like

Rather than a sermon, why don’t you post something that is actually useful. Like quality scans you’ve done and how you did them. Also, you have no idea how long I’ve been in this industry and what I’ve used in the past. Quit making wild assumptions. I’ve used many scanners as well and this one is NOT an “excellent” device. Back up your claims with results and keep your assumptions to yourself.

1 Like

I may not know how long you are in your “industry” whatever it is but seriously dude, I don’t care.
Any 3D Laser scanner needs own learning curve .

Keep practicing , trial and error is the best learning workflow if you don’t like to read manuals or ask nicely others for help.

1 Like