New scanner from Shining3D - Einstar

You have to ask @Rilot , he use it often, but the workflow is slightly different .

You can check YT , they have great demos there showing it in action .

It looks similar but Einstar uses a very different capture type than Einscan-SE/SP.

EXScan (which is the software for Einscan-SE/SP) has similar features to that which I’ve seen in previews of the Einstar though. The ability to directly edit point clouds before fusing, the ability to align multiple clouds within the same scan job, etc. are all there in EXScan and very, very useful.

I would be very happy if Revoscan could do cloud editing like that which is in Revostudio or EXScan directly in the scanning process as it would streamline workflow massively.

One thing that drives me nuts with Revostudio is that when doing scan alignments, I can’t edit the floating scan before doing the alignment within the alignment dialogue. I have to open each scan in Revostudio individually, edit the point clouds, save them out, then align them one by one.
In EXScan, I can edit the point clouds as I go along with the scan jobs and then align them all at the end, then fuse them.

3 Likes

That why I use Cloud Compare, it is not the way to editing one by one in Revo Studio and not having any visual references where to cut to match the other scan for merging . Painful job

1 Like

Yup. It’s why I too use Cloud Compare :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any word on your Einstar???

1 Like

1+ @Rilot , curious too

I have have had an Einscan SP for some time and the accuracy is flawless. It’s also easy to set up and use, even on a tripod moving around larger objects. Its Achilles heel, for me, is that it only works in fixed mode, so scanning a larger object can take some time compared to a handheld device. The software is good enough, although it could do with some polish. With all that said, and with Shining3D’s considerable experience in professional applications, I feel sure that the Einstar will be a good product. They will know what works and what doesn’t. For example, they have not tried to shrink the package size down and I bet (like this SP and other Shining 3D products) it includes a fan, so it does not get so hot as the POP. I am prepared to bet that it does a better job of feature tracking than the POP. One of my biggest frustrations is what happens to tracking when more than half the image is a planar surface without marker dots.

However, I read the specs for Einstar and was a bit surprised by the PC requirements, Intel 11800H and a GT1060 and 32GB RAM. Really? I doubt that there is such a machine in existence. As others have mentioned, this is Windows only and what’s more, it’s NVIDIA only too. If I want to start scanning with one, I have to go out and buy a new PC, whereas with POP, I can connect it to just about anything.

2 Likes

I like the specs of the Einscan SP. I would be using it with a tripod and a turntable so fixed mode would be ok with me. The Einstar also looks very promising to me because of the included acquisition/editing software. I’m looking for another scanner to use in conjunction with my current scanner to do mainly hole locations for reverse engineering. I was hoping the MINI would do this. I’m also hoping it’s an acquisition software issue with the MINI and not a hardware issue. I believe the MINI is probably capable of doing great scans on larger objects as well as small objects but with the frequency of losing tracking, it’s very frustrating to use.

Mike you need a scan that do scanning per frame and not portable for what you described , fixed position scanner as Einscan for example but as usual they scan small objects on their best .
and with the symmetrical objects you going always to lose tracking with any scanner , you need markers or supporting elements to keep the tracking , as for example Einstar or MINI track object by unique features .

Here’s what I scanned tonight, a transmission input housing. As you can see, it’s dirty and really not in perfect scanning condition. I applied the markers first then lightly sprayed it. I then got a Q-tip and cleaned the markers. I start my scan then manually move the turntable a few inches while scanning then stop the turntable to focus on the bolt hole then move another few inches until I have the whole housing scanned. The scanner lost tracking maybe 5 times, but it recovers, and I continue with no problem. I don’t get the spiraling like the MINI does. The preview with the MINI is perfect but messes up once the scanning starts.

My scanner is pretty heavy and it took about 20minutes to scan the input housing then another 20minutes to edit it in VXelements and now I’ll fix the holes in Meshmixer. I’m thinking either Einscan scanner will do what I need, probably will go with the Einstar after rilot tests his.

It’s not turned up yet. It’s sat at the delivery depot.
PC specs are a bit of a bummer for sure. Means I can’t scan using my laptop and will be tied to my desktop.
My desktop should be fine though (11-series i9, RTX3080, 64GB RAM)

@Rilot they used laptop for scanning outdoors in one of their video , I think the specifications are for the optimal PC , other way it would be very limited and not worth the money , I think they would not advertise scanning outdoors as that would be impossible .

Your other scanner did perfect job Mike , the markers you placed on the object are not correct for MINI so it will lose tracking in marker mode , you need a lot of them and with a unique pattern .
I would scan it on my bigger turntable at 20+ distance steady on a tripod at 45 degrees angle in feature mode . I scanned bigger objects like that with more complex surface hand held .
I think you will be fine with Einstar here for this type of scanning , just remember Einstar accuracy may be lower than you have right now with your other scanner but it may give you less headaches as you can keep proper distance , where MINI is made for scanning a very small objects .

I’m thinking the Einstar will capture bolt hole locations easier than my old, heavy handheld scanner. I may try the MINI with markers placed close together but not in a straight line. I can then merge the old scanner mesh with the MINI/Einstar bolt hole location mesh. I do like how the Einstar software has three lights for too near, excellent, good or too far away similar to my other scanners software. You get more of a warning when you’re going out of spec. Revo has one light for each distance.

I would try your current laptop. When I got my other scanner, the laptop specs were higher than what I had. I had normal specs, 16GB RAM and 4GB VRAM. Like PopUpTheVolume said, the specs are for maximum performance. I could scan fine, but the mesh rendering process would lock up my laptop at times. The mesh rendering was a 10-step process, and the laptop would lock up on step 9 or 10 sometimes. I probably should have not scanned so long making the files humungous and too much for that laptop. I normally scan an object in one shot, so the files are BIG. Worst comes to worst, you could scan 1/4 of the object and merge the 4 scans later. Files would be smaller, and your laptop could handle that.

Hope you get to enjoy your Einstar soon.

You made mistake by not going for POP2 where it allows you a bigger distance and less issues with tracking of objects that do not fit in the scanning window . With Mini is like making landscape picture with a microscope . And people wanted to scan cars with that ? Not good choice , at this specifications no one 3D scanning company would offer handheld scanner for that purpose other than jewelry, dentistry and other very small objects not bigger than half dollar bill .

Einstar may be the answer for you , but the accuracy seems to be not good enough for precise reverse engineering, since the minimal object you can scan with is 20 mm bigger than with POP2 or POP1, means it maybe just 0.2mm or 0.3mm closer to POP1.

They did not included the accuracy specifications for a reason .

But hey, you can always try , I will as well .

Good points.

I’ll just keep using my old, heavy scanner and sell the MINI. The Einscan SP might be closest in accuracy to my other scanner.

My Windows laptop has a Ryzen 7 4700U and 16GB RAM. Will give it a go.
I wish Einscan took Mac seriously though. I have an M1 Pro 16" with 32GB RAM. Much more appropriate.

32GB is usually way to go to be safe , remember the early Revo Scan ? It took 32Gb from my system for a mini scan what was of course crazy amount but that was the app .
Einstar seems to be as good as the computer it running on , and laptop may just slower it down a little bit, but it still should running without issue . Other wise this adventure would be much too expensive.

When I read some review , they mentioned that the company borrowed them the PC for the review as well … it is little insane to be honest .

I have 64GB RAM and 12GB VRAM so it should run smooth , but if I can’t use it with a laptop outdoors I will not buy it .

@PUTV don’t forget the power supply … I guess you need it to scan and you will have not everywhere a power plug :wink: