New scanner from Shining3D - Einstar

Shining3D just released an affordable handheld 3d scanner, probably as a response to Revopoint and Creality. What do you think? The hardware seems to be similar to POP2 but with Einscan software it could be miles ahead… But hey, more competition is always better for the consumers!

3 Likes

I’ve got one coming. Will see how it does against the Pop2, Mini, and Einscan-SE scanners I have.

3 Likes

Ok I found it …
According to the specifications it is exactly as POP2 , resolution only 0.1mm as usual for infrared scanning, but not mention accuracy.

I checked the scanned models , the quality is below POP2 for the meshes as it was with Creality Lizard, but textures looks fine to some degree but still not as rich as I would expect .
It looks very nice and I am sure the software is flawless as well . But at the end it is all about the final mesh .

The software may be better and less issues with tracking since it is faster and it relays on your workstation power .
However they recommend at least 6GB of VRAM , so not for everyone.

I don’t think it is worthy trying for me despite the fact that I could run it smoothly on my workstation .

Looking forward to see your results with it @rilot

3 Likes

Do you know that Einscan was once sold by Revopoint on their website before it went under new company ? They provided the hardware and technology as they do to many other companies.
I wonder if their new scan is based on POP2 hardware as well . I saw others that do just that with a different design covering it .

Some uses the same software others develop own .

4 Likes

Well, even if it scans the same as the Pop2, the Pop2 has it beat because Revopoint support MacOS, iOS, iPadOS, Android, and Windows. Einscan only support Windows.
They used to support MacOS as there was a version of EXScan for MacOS when I first got my EinscanSE. Then when they released V3 about 2.5 years ago they said there would be a new version for MacOS “soon”. I can only assume that their definition of “soon” is one I have not previously been made aware of.
They still have it listed as “Temporarily unavailable” on the product page for the SE/SP.

I like my SE. I really do. I can get better results from it than that which I can get from my Pop2 but that is mainly due to easier workflow in the software and my familiarity with it. Now I have the Mini I’m not using the SE much any more as I can get better results with Revopoint’s offering.

2 Likes

I am not sure if it can exactly , as the model of the pineapple they showing off is as half as good as my pineapple scan with POP2 including textures .
So it will be something between POP2 and POP

also when you scan you don’t want the textures / color of the model affect the volume accuracy , and in their vase tests it do affect the volume accuracy as it did with Creality Lizard . ( darker colors pop up higher on the surface than lighter colors)

Another thing they showing scan outdoors , how they managed to scan with Infrared outdoors , that is the reason they use 3 lasers in place of one ? or it is much stronger , plus who walking outdoors with PC , or better asking how many every day’s laptops have 6GB of VRAM .

But we gonna see once you got it , I trust your opinion on that as you are already familiar with their stuff and software.

2 Likes

I have Revopoint POP2 x1
I have Revopoint MINI x2

I bought EinStar.
I’m looking forward to the scan software.
In my opinion, scanners are good and bad at light sources and focal lengths.
If you have multiple scanners, you can use them according to the situation.

I would be only interested in Einstar if it really can scan outdoors as they showing with color textures, even if it is between POP2 and POP1 , so waiting patiently for your scanning results and experiences with it .
I don’t need another one that can’t do it , I have 6 already at home .

2 Likes

The Einscan-SP looks very interesting. It comes with SolidEdge as well. Probably most of the cost is for SolidEdge. Any experience with Einscan-SP? I was hoping the MINI was faster at locating holes in parts for reverse engineering. I have an older, bulky handheld 3D laser scanner now that works great but was hoping the MINI would be quicker. It is most definitely lighter in weight.

The SE and SP are largely the same. The SP is made to slightly better tolerances, hence they can guarentee a certain accuracy. The SP can also do marker mode whereas the SE cannot.

The Einstar 3D Scanner looks pretty interesting as well. I see point distance listed as .1mm - 3mm but didn’t see a precision or accuracy number. SP would do what I need, possibly the Einstar as well. Not a bad price on the Einstar.

The precision/ accuracy will be probably around 0.05mm at max or less , no less than 50 microns and from the model examples it looks like higher, not really recommend for reverse engineering other than scanning organic shapes in general .

How deep it can scan depending also of the IR power , but since it is only Class 1 infrared laser I expect it to be more shallow than MINI .

The price is just right for this type of scanner as it don’t offers that much .

I am sure the software and texture mapping going to be on another level here so a great plus .
I can’t wait to actually see real examples as it is tempting … and the design looks solid .

0.05mm accuracy would be great at this price point. My old, bulky outdated 3D laser scanner had a spec of .040mm accuracy when new. When I last calibrated it, not in a controlled environment, it was closer to .050mm. The Einstar or Einscan-SP would be pretty good but the price of the Einstar is hard to ignore. I bought a Creality Lizard on Kickstarter but didn’t continue after the Artec lawsuit. The Lizard looked good on paper too. The video they have showing how they fill holes in the back pack mesh and then re-texturize the mesh was pretty nice.

1 Like

Well, if DHL are feeling like it, mine should be delivered tomorrow. If not, Monday.

2 Likes

Same here , I cancelled my pledge the same day I saw the lawsuit in the news and I don’t regret it at all .

Thanks for the link, going to check it out now .

2 Likes

Exciting! Can’t wait for your results as I trust your judgement here.
Most people on YT don’t know how to use it proper, providing shallow reviews.

1 Like

Ok Mike , I checked the review and the example , the minimal object scanning size was 5x5 cm so the precision and accuracy will be way lower in quality than POP2 can offer .
But that is not what I was looking for anyway . The lion scan was great despite the fact that the model reminds me of POP quality mesh here , but the textures looks really nice on this one .
Human scan was kinda meh … mesh and textures way off but that don’t means that is the hardware bad.

Seems like the power of the device depends a lot on your PC so not for everyone.

Looking forward to see @Rilot results and definitely the texture preview and if day light affect the results or not .

I would buy it to scan bigger objects , mostly organic in nature if it can perform with daylight ( cloudy day or in a shadow) without issue .

Here is an German Video of this new Scanner, i realy hope that Revopoint Improves the Software.

I only watched the back pack video because it is more in line with the size of object I would be scanning. My scanner does a very good job on the body but hard to get the bolt holes in one scan. Probably will install a ‘slug’ in the bolt holes and delete the ‘slug’ from the mesh later, leaving a hole(bolt hole) in the mesh. Here’s a pic of the mesh of the object my scanner made and the other one the MINI made.

Yeah…I have 64GB of RAM and 16GB of VRAM in my Zbook G4 laptop which helps. Would love to bump them both up. I use the Zbook for scanning/modelling and have my old laptop to do everyday stuff on.

1 Like

The software and technique to clean up the T-rex mesh looks a lot like the VXelements I use with my scanner.

1 Like