New scanner from Shining3D - Einstar

You are right totally forgot about it… so the video scanning outdoors with a laptop is misleading . Unless it can power via laptop or USB Power Bank . The sensors are not that power hungry after all .

I guess @Rilot will answer our question soon .

It’s still at the delivery depot. Hoping for delivery today but not holding my breath.

1 Like

@Rilot cross my fingers. Would like to get your feedback soon before the “early bird discount” will be gone … :wink:

As soon as it is in my hands I will have some initial thoughts for you. If it’s garbage I will say so.

2 Likes

At 0:29 they show the Einstar being connected to laptop via USB port.

1 Like

From the last video it seems that there is a combination of White Light LEDs what would explain why it can scan outdoors and dark PVC plastic and synthetic paints , smart move .
They placed the Infrared lasers around the Depth Camera sensors ( you can see it clearly )
A typical combination of White Light + Infrared, what is on another level as you dealing less with a difficult to scan surfaces here.

But that explains the limitation of scanning smaller objects .
No projector with fine pattern.

A hybrid child of a Creality Lizard and Revo POP1 :joy:

1 Like

Come… if you read the company history… I don’t think Shining 3D need anything from Revopoint. Both of them have own core tech. Especially for Shining3D, I think they can easily make any scanner. I have a pop 2, and really like how it works with Mac OS. wondering if Einstar works with Mac OS

Right. It arrived this morning.

First impressions are… not good.

Firstly, although the software will run on most computers, it’s pretty much unuseable if you don’t have a decent GPU. I have an RTX3080 in my main rig so no issues there, but neither of my laptops are good enough (One is a Ryzen 7 4700u, other is an Intel 11 series). This precludes outdoor scanning for me. However, there is a bigger issue with that. It comes with and requires a 12v 5a power supply to be plugged in to work. So, unless you carry an inverter around with you, you aren’t scanning outdoors.

So, how well does it scan? Well, I’ve tried for 3 hours to get something useable. Anything really to show you and I’ve failed. It just won’t pick up and track anything smaller than a human head and even then, the quality of the point cloud is really poor.

I will keep trying with it but for now, I can’t get anything useable out of it.

3 Likes

So it needs a separate power supply for the scanner and the USB is for data transfer??

Are you familiar with the Einscan SP and/or Einscan Transcan C??

Not all companies developing their hardware in house . Revopoint stated they provide other companies with their technology .
And Einscan SE was once sold on old Revopoint website as I saw it , same with Creality tablet scanner before it moved exclusive to their companies, they developed better software today and made it to another level .

Well , in this case they will not get my money today, thanks @Rilot

I have an SE which is almost identical to the SP.

As I suspected , but I was in need to scan bigger objects only where the point cloud resolution don’t really matters, just for second plane assets in color and mostly outdoors .
For the rest I have already what I need .
It also explains why they borrowed their PC for reviews lol
It was too good to be true …

Thanks @Rilot
I actually wrote to them a letter asking for more specifications but they never replied.

1 Like

what objects you tried to scan? mine arrives this morning. so far so good. even for small objects, i scanned a joypad for my vr device.

@Haoyu

Please post screenshots

Can you scan some figurine in color and show the original textures in image format ? The size of the object don’t matters .

LMAO… I had an EinScan S since late 2016 when they were raising fund in Kickstarter and upgraded it for SE in 2018. Since Shining 3D didn’t have handheld scanners under 1,000 bucks, i bought my POP2. From what i learned, there is no possibility that Shining 3D bought anything from Revopoint. Ask your friends in Revo, i don’t think they would say Shining 3D used their hardware. As for the “SE” you saw, not sure what’s that. There are many scanners look similar, like all cars have 4 wheels lol. I got my Einstar today. Will try it and update as well. unfortunately, currently they don’t have a thing Mac OS still…

will do! just been busy for other jobs. will try scan more things this afternoon or evening!

I tried the battery from my DJI Air2s. It’s my usual test object for scanning because it’s got a lot of features without being organic and is grey with a matte surface.
No joy.

I’ll try some more tomorrow.

This evening I’ve been scanning things with the Mini. Very impressed with it to the point that I might sell my EinscanSE.

1 Like

for my understanding, i will use SE for small objects and Pop2 for large ones since it is handheld. I’ll try more einstar too later today.