MINI- PUTV 3D Models Showcase Progress & Tips

Practical usage of MINI at home as a duplicator ? well it worked …

Left printed sample for test , right original

Perfect match without using CAD

Final print will be with heat resistant ABS to 104C .

2 Likes

Or maybe interested in FX and making your new teeth for Halloween party ? :wink:

1 Like

I received my Zinc Oxide and airbrush. It took a little experimenting to get the mixture right. The addition of Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver helped a lot. I think it’s a better and definitely a cheaper alternative. Thanks again for the tip.

1 Like

So what’s your recipe?

1 Like

I had to keep adding isopropyl alcohol to thin it down, so I have no exact measurements. I’m going to make a purely uneducated guess of 1 part Zinc to 20 parts isopropyl, with 2 drops of flow improver. I’m going to try and figure out a good mixture next time. I hate to be wasteful, but that will be the best approach to be able to have repeatable and consistent results. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. I’ll share my mix ratio when I figure it out. I also need to test to see if the mixture needs altered for different materials.

Hi, it’s possible to use it in normal office daylight? Not direct sunlight but normal led lamp illumination.
second it really impossible to scan coloured plastic without scan spray?
Thank you

You need to use it in controlled Ambient light environment , LED lights seems to interfere most with the gain settings . Normal ambient lights not as much . It is still possible but better to have the control over it for best results. You can also use Photo Box as I do and have better control over any light while scanning .

Some coloured plastic absorbing Blue Light so It is not possible to scan it without 3D Spray . Plastic usually have also reflections that will create noises , so if you want to get professional results you need to prepare the surfaces right .
Also materials like resin and wax will absorb Blue light so the results may be slightly blurry in details .

It is easier to scan object when it is in one color , but if the object has multiple colors , it is hard to set up right the gain exposure , as each color need different settings .

2 Likes

thank you very much!

1 Like

This looks incredibly cool!!
What software did you sculpt these in??
What was the process?
I am a SFX makeup artist and I make lots of teeth the classic way but this looks great!
Will be making a set of Dragon teeth soon and would love to make those digital!

I have ordered the mini but already have the POP1 and 2 and did an accuracy test with the POP2 for a set of teeth and it worked great! A vacu form mold made on the original teeth cast fit perfectly on the printed copy!

Also I would like to ask you what software you did the spinning GIF models in??
I have been looking around like crazy for that…
Thanks in advance!!
Lars

1 Like

Thanks , I am using Zbrush for the digital sculpting and they fit like a glove after printing , of course you can do the standard way too , because printing the partials will take some time to clean , however you could print the whole digital cast and use a vacuum mold and finish the rest as usual . I usually work in wax and cast it in dental resin the traditional way, but here I had little more fun .

I recorded actually the process and will have a new video shortly on my YT channel. .
You can do the base using POP2 but the teeth resolution was not enough ( the volume was accurate ), the gums seems to be captured well.

I used Zbrush to render out the animations of the models . I do all my pro work in Zbrush.

I am scanning right now the POP2 turntable for my little DIY project with MINI, and used 0.1mm pitch point resolution in place of 0.05 or 0.02mm for faster processing and the results are great .
There is not always need for high resolution pitch point when you have lots of flat surfaces , the volume accuracy is still there and perfect usable at 0.1mm resolution , less noises , cleaner flatter surfaces.
Feature Mode , object at 15 cm distance .

6 Likes

Great result! Thx for sharing! How big is the data size of that object at point pitch 0.1mm? Would you also mind to scan it with pop 2 at same settings/point pitch and share the result?

1 Like

Thanks
You can see it in the first image , the 0.02m pitch point was over 20 millions faces, so huge and here are not that fine details that needs this resolution .
POP2 scan may have more rounded edges and less deeper creases even with the same resolution , since the accuracy is lower, but not really that huge differences .

I would love to do the comparisons but
the 3D spray vanished already , and I am running low at this moment , I was not even thinking about what is a very good idea Ivan , I need the rest that I have left for my DSLR camera scanning for comparison between POP2 and MINI for my new video .
If I have anything left I will do it later today . I prefer to not spray any electronics with Zinc Oxide , unless it is “water tight”

2 Likes

Of course, as always, my requests only when and if you have spare time and materials. Your projects have priority! :+1:If you lived near me I would send you some 3d scanning spray (used aesub blue and still have some but found cheaper one, too, Attblime)

1 Like

Thanks for this information. Can you suggest a fabric I can use for larger objects? I usually scan in a relatively dark room. Thanks

That is kind of you thanks ! this stuff going out in the air quick like a smoke , I just found half price value at Attblime official website , other websites charge same as for AESUB . But well another $68 bill but I got 1 can 400ml and one container of 1L so saved almost $100. Shipping was just $8 and no tax so good deal. Thanks for the reminder about Attblime …

1 Like

You can’t use fabric with Infrared , it will be visible , Use black PVC sheet for background or black silicone mat.
with MINI I use synthetic short velvet , MINI use visible light so dark stuff are not visible by default .

2 Likes

here you go …
POP2 and MINI scans at the same settings and values

Pitch Point 0.1mm
Meshing at 6
Denoiser at 3

POP2

MINI

POP2 left MINI right , both resolution at 0.1mm

MINI has definitely sharper edges at the same resolution of 0.1mm

And here comparison between resolution
POP2 left at max 0.1mm and MINI at max 0.02mm pitch point resolution.

5 Likes

THX A LOT! Yes, it shows pop2 is IMO more than a great allrounder while mini useful for scanning those small details which should make the easier to reconstruct (reverse engineering) .
But trully blown away but smooth appearence of mini scans!

You should share this on facebook, too. Thx for all your time and efforts! :beers:

1 Like