MINI- PUTV 3D Models Showcase Progress & Tips

2 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

I just tested the single volume that you can scan using MINI and Revo Scan , and it was 0.7mm x 0.7mm
, single volume means a single object the size of 0.7mm x 0.7mm using Feature Mode without any other supporting elements , not confusing with the resolution as the resolution can pick up details at 0.1mm and below

2 Likes

Wow, what printer, what resin?

1 Like

It was not resin printer , regular WEEDO MINI 3D Printer with printing volume at 100 X 100 X 120mm(H), I love this MINI printer for printing small test objects, so accurate and clean printing with high precision, and so underrated. For bigger stuff I use also regular ANYCUBIC MEGA X with printing volume at 11.81in X 11.81in X 12in(H)

1 Like

Nice scans. It really picks up the small details so well.

1 Like

My little contribution to MINI & Revopoint as Thanks for the support and trust in my work .
It was a pleasure to be a part of the team … I spent many times burning the midnight oil, but it was worthed .
I hope you enjoy MINI as I do .

6 Likes

That was a well made video.

Does the mini have fast scan as the pop2 does? How is the tracking with fast scan if it does? Thanks.

1 Like

thanks very much for sharing your results and tips.I just backed the MINI and look forward to joining the forum.
Regarding the zinc oxide spray, could you elaborate on the mixture of % of alcohol & zinc oxide powder?
Would denatured alcohol work as well as IPA?
thank you

2 Likes

Yes , it have Fast Scan , I would use it to scan flatter objects with less features to have that smooth flat surfaces . For example you don’t need to scan a cube at higher accuracy , Fast scan will produce smoother results , less data and faster processing time . MINI is so good it can scan 0.7mm cube in feature mode , not even needs marker mode for that .
Using Fast scan and marker mode for flatter objects will save you the troubles, the tracking of MINI and stabilization is so much precisa than POP2 . It do not lose tracking so easy , however I need to find out what is the limitation in size for markers with MINI, since it have smaller window for scanning area , I think smaller markers could benefit it better . So far I used 4mm markers , but I know it can pick up smaller than that . I will make a new test soon and let you know the results exactly .

That is the smallest object I could scan without any support 0.7mm

4 Likes

Thank you. That is exactly what I needed to know. The mini will help speed up my work flow for R.E. I’m amazed it picks up something so small on it’s own.

In regards to markers. I have had good results with little pieces of build tak. Smaller markers would be nice though.

1 Like

Welcome to the community.

1 Like

Thank you and Welcome to the forum !
I am doing it for so long , I don’t even measure the % anymore just looking for the consistency that my Airbrush can handle . But I will measure it precisely next time , you don’t need to cover the object completely white , maximum 2 light layers are more than enough just to get the shine off . Yes you can use any kind of alcohol , if you can wash the object, you can also mix Zinc oxide with hair spray for smudge proof application . Zinc Oxide mixed with alcohol will stick well to the surface so even running water will not wash it off unless touched , but it is great for dry applications as you can simply brush it off after , without exposing the object to water . Not recommended to use on porous surfaces , mostly for smooth objects like metal, porcelain, glass , shiny plastics , wax etc…

2 Likes

I see that the KS page says pitch point 0.05mm , that is actually the best smoothed and noise free result you can get using fusing with pitch point at 0.05mm , but I begged the developers to get the software to lower pitch point resolution at 0.02mm , why? because when you simplifies the model after scanning for lower resolution for share or animation assets you can keep the sharper edges intact providing better lower resolution models with sharper details and smoother surface . Same with remeshing or when using Quicksurface app , so it add the extras pop to very fine details keeping sharp edges where it should be . What is important in reverse engineering or 3D reconstructions .
I hope they don’t changed their mind setting it back to 0.05mm , but it also tells me they do not want to sell false promises , but selling their product at the actual highest quality specifications .
But thanks to 0.02mm pitch point I could simplify my model from 5 millions poly to 50K and keep all the details inact .

2 Likes

Here some resolution comparison between MINI & POP2
Scanned in one session from top to bottom and back

MINI on the left and POP2 on the right

The Real figures

7 Likes

I hope they keep it at .02mm. Revopoint has been advertising use for reverse engineering. I hope that anyone new to 3d scanning wanting to get into reverse engineering realize it’s a strep learning curve. Knowledge of different manufacturing methods, and the end use of the scan/CAD plays a huge part in how the data is processed. I’m happy to share some knowledge to help.

1 Like

this is a great comparison and I hope the final unit will match your result shown,
I was interested to purchase the POP2, but the resolution just wasn’t quiet there for scanning small sculptures, but seeing what you’ve been posting and the comparison between the two models I feel more comfortable with my investment now, it looks great and substantially higher detail then pop2.

@PUTV what was the height of the original jade sculpture? and how many scanning passes / angles did you use for this piece?

Thanks again for all the great information you are sharing.

2 Likes

I think it is 16 -17 cm and I scanned it in one session from top to the bottom and back , it is not usual to do but this figurine scans always so good and quick like no other . I do try to not over scan too much the areas that was scanned already , and since MINI have short working distance 10-20cm normally you will have to make 2 scans and merge them together for even better quality . Scanning back and forth do affect the details at the end since the distance is not consistent.
I always start from the top head at 45 degree angle going down , then return back to top scanning the parts that was missed by the top angle , each 360 degree rotation I am moving slowly down to next section , waiting until the whole rotation is done and moving down again and the same when returning up .

With the new double axis turntable I am sure you will have much easier work and no blind spots again .

If your figurine is small enough and fits whole in the Depth cam preview window your work going to be easy .

I made all tests possible, I am sure you will have all your details you wish for and more .
And beware that some reviewers on YT not doing the scan work correctly, like for example forgetting to set the right pitch point resolution before fuse , so running on auto pilot and losing lots of details .

Also Android phones creates lower resolution meshes , the pitch point seems to be at 0.05mm but meshing on 4 what is only half of the quality you can get on regular workstation .

2 Likes

Here is simple tutorial for beginners , Android Phone with Revo Scan App
Remember that scanning using phone will create lower resolution mesh compared to computer , the phone don’t have enough virtual memory to handle high resolution meshes produced by MINI , so the meshing is at level 4, and fusing probably at 0.05 or 0.1mm

6 Likes