MINI- PUTV 3D Models Showcase Progress & Tips

What are the specs for your CPU and GPU? Are you having long wait times with the Revo software? At the moment I’m maxed out at 128GB of ram. Thanks in advance for your help with the community and my question if you get a chance to answer.

1 Like

Even with a Mini, I rarely top 8 GB (I will be increasing the amount of RAM in my laptop, but probably after I get my new desktop computer).

16 GB is now recommended for the, frankly, enormous data sizes from the Mini’s 0.020mm pitch density. I frequently have files approaching 400 MB, although they usually drop significantly after I remove the overlapping points in the cloud.

But 128 GB? I don’t envision needing that much RAM unless you use the Mini to try to scan a car all at once.

2 Likes

Hi Michael , pretty accurate and so was the masuments I used AESUB orange 3D spray, one quick layer, the MINI with almost zero noises allows to do that , I did not used denoiser to keep the accuracy to maximum , I wonder now if I meshed it in Revo Studio at higher values , would I get sharper edges , I need to try and compare them together , since meshing in Revo Scan is only 25% compared to the highest value at 7 in Revo Studio . Anyway no bad from a single scan session

2 Likes

Hi Eric , GPU 12K Cuda Cores with 12GB VRAM, CPU i9-10900X @3.70Ghz boost @4.50Ghz and 64GB RAM , SSD 970 EVO
The GPU do not matters much here while scanning , the CPU and SSD do .
Right now you need at least 16GB for MINI when used on Computer , I used around 1.45GB for this small screw adapter , so if you have bigger scan it gonna be RAM intensive , how more resolution how bigger the data . But with 128RAM you are good to go .
Beside Revo Scan you need of course RAM for your system , but the minimal requirements for system memory is 16GB to work smooth with MINI .
Since the last Android support MINI , I wonder what settings they used on mobile phone app for fusing , I have doubts it is at 0.020 pitch point , but not tested it yet , waiting for Google Store Update .

I have not huge difference with waiting time using MINI , but so far I am scanning only very small objects , maybe meshing taking little longer , the resolution improved 80% so there may be a little longer waiting time so fast SSD + CPU is very much important to get the data written faster down as it saving everything to the cache folder under your project , Jonathan said it was 5-6 times longer but I do not experience waiting time that long . If I scan larger area at 0.020 then for sure but did not tried yet.

But you see, if you have to scan bigger project , you don’t need the resolution at 0.020 , 0.1mm is just fine , then scan the fine details areas with smaller pitch point at 0.020 to merge it later all together .

The same when you are using POP2 , use body mode for more flat bigger areas and then feature mode for finer details of the object .

Screenshot 2022-05-28 115032

Screenshot 2022-05-28 114928

I work usually with models around 35-50 millions of poly , the maximum in Revo Scan was 15 million per one scan what used around 8 GB of RAM .

2 Likes

I don’t think any software can works with 128 GB of data from a single 3D model, it would be choked very quick . Zbrush allows maximum 35-50 millions of poly what is enormous amount of data already so 64GB is more than enough . I never needed more than that , for 35 millions of poly I need minimal 8GB of RAM in Zbrush ( not counting the system ) , however Revo Scan used 8GB for 15 millions of poly for 15 cm figurine at pitch point of 0.1mm , so very data intensive .

1 Like

Here some old ring scanned with MINI - 19mm wide on top

ring1
ring2
ring3
ring4

3 Likes

Some more MINI scans for today

teacher_coin2
teacher_coin1

teacher_coin4
teacher_coin3

The relief of the back prayer text is only 0.24mm high and the letters only 0.50mm wide

6 Likes

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. That’s a great idea Jeff, maybe I’ll try to scan a car when I get it. Most thins I scan fall into the Mini suggested scan area. I’m looking forward to learning what the volume accuracy is.

Very clean scans. Well done.

1 Like

The volume accuracy is 0.020mm but that is nothing we can check at home, you need really proper tools to do that and they are not cheap . Pitch point resolution is 0.020mm , but so far the smallest relief I could get was smaller than a human hair , the 3D spray is just killing the smaller details that are actually not even clearly visible to a naked eye .

1 Like

I have some precision 4 6 8 blocks and a small surface plate. The problem I have is I don’t have anything large that is certified. I tried to get some time at my friends machine shop, but they are so busy I can’t get in for awhile.

I have ran into the same issue over the years.

1 Like

I tried to scan today another coin with a very fine details , but once I used spray everything was flat , I will try tomorrow with Zinc Oxide mixture to bring out the details as I know it can pick it up , if not I will looking for nano sized Zing Oxide.

1 Like

And some more stuff scanned with MINI , merged in Revo Studio and cleaned up with CC. Usually I would not scan with the stone and remove it before , but this gives me some challenge . I like that MINI can reach much much deeper into the volume than POP2 could . The holes under the ring are diameter of a needle , less than 0.70mm

weed_ring6
weed_ring3

weed_ring5

weed_ring4

weed_ring1

weed_ring2

5 Likes

Would you share your mixture? I completely understand if you don’t. I have a few things I don’t share. Thanks.

That is impressive. I used cloud compare today to stress test it. I was able to load a 4.1GB mesh file with 89 million polygons with no issues. I’m going to test it further and see how it compares with other software. So far i think it’s a great program. I contributed to help kerp it going.

2 Likes

Thanks , it is created to handle large point cloud files , very good in cleaning point clouds .

1 Like

There is not secret , just mix Zinc Oxide with Alcohol of any kind , I use it with Airbrush for very fine objects , but it works with a single spray bottle for bigger objects , you can brush it off after you are done , it is waterproof but not smudge proof so if you have to handle the object after use gloves to prevent smudge .
The consistency depends of what you are using for spraying, so for airbrush it is more watery , I also add some airbrush flow improver , couple of drops to lubricate it better . Zinc Oxide is very dense so less is better .

MINI is very picky on some surfaces , so lots of 3D spray and Zinc Oxide mixtures will go with the usage . With this details and resolution you need to have a perfect surface to capture the most of it . Any kind and level of reflections are the enemies of good scans .

Very long time ago maybe 22 years I had good German anti reflection spray for 3D scanning in Europe, it was semi opaque but created complete matte surfaces , forgot the name of it , you could even spray a glass and scan it . I think something like that my dental labs supply still offers in their inventory, but regular customer can’t buy it without license . It is used for spraying inside of the customer inner mouth for 3D scanning , and another for other detail work , I mostly use Zinc oxide on my wax dental modeling work .

5 Likes

You’re welcome.

Thank you so much for sharing. I’ve never tried making my own. I’ll order some and mix my own.

1 Like

I uploaded some last models to sketchfab , I have to reduce the resolution as I do not have paid subscription .

3 Likes

1 Like