MINI- PUTV 3D Models Showcase Progress & Tips

Thanks @Skyrider looks very good .
That’s already a plus that you can do that on that printer.
I saw people doing very nice jewelry castings from that printer .
So for that work it would be perfect , but for another the details resolution still little too low for all my needs, that why I am still not an owner of one until now .

I am going to research a little more about

Thanks again !

Hey PUTV, I just received my mini scanner this evening and despite my ignorance and not yet reading the hints and tips, I got good results on my first scan of the sample head. I watched your most recent YT video just now and it’s very helpful. I was wondering if you have done much with the RGB setting? I’d love to see a video on that.

Thanks for being a great resource.

1 Like

Hi @c3D nice to heart that , once I finish my new light setup case for MINI I can do the RGB video , I delayed it for so long as there was so many issues with the software on the way .

But now it seems it can be done …the light is the key and of course the proper speed and proper capture of the angles for the best RGB results . Not as difficult as it sounds .

Thank you again for the kind words , I am glad the info helped you out .

Congrats on your new gadged!
Happy scanning! And welcome to the community !

2 Likes

I love my QIDI Tech 6.0. I use a castable resin for my small jewelry items. It burns out well before casting. Not cheap at $300 /L.

1 Like

If it is good the price doesn’t matter, you want your work quality to be the best possible after all .

some tests on volume resolution with MINI at 10cm distance between the scan and the object.
Last software build #909c
0.88mm to 0.04mm

4 Likes

Clever object to use!

Did you spray it?
What was the angle of the scanner to turntable plane?

1 Like

As usual 45 degrees but the turntable was at 5 for the perfect distance , good thing about I did not lost the tracking at once despite the form of the object .

I used slightly Attblime 3D spray to matte down the shine .
Then used 180 degrees command for the turntable on 0 axis via Android .

I did not used denoiser or close holes option to see the resolution at max , there is very slightly grain that come from the 3D spray as usual , you can see also the scratch from my finger nail on the surface lol

3 Likes

Do you post the exported file somewhere?
To let us check it out.
You can upload it to Thingiverse.

1 Like

Sorry but I am not posting anywhere but here and not for show off , I posted so you can try your device and see how well it works for you and if you get the proper results , just for inspirations.
Couple weeks ago I got 0.07 mm , after calibration with the new software I can reach 0.04mm ( volume resolution)
Of course it is not done in a lab environment but nice to see the improvements.
I want to make one more test and hand held it to see if I can get sharper details on the text embedded on it if any . But the 3D spray just flatten the fine text too much .

I am doing other tests scanning “per frame” to see if I can get better result if any .

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing!
What do you mean by “per frame” scan?

I mean not exactly per frame , per 5 frames , but just testing if it works right now … usually it generates noises with MINI , but I want to try with POP2 as well to see the differences .

1 Like

looking forward to results of that test :slight_smile:

Very small object size when scanning each side at 30 degrees rotation x 12 only but the micro details are smoothed out with MINI . It was fused each 30 degrees capture .
It may works better with POP2 .

1 Like

Here is when the 12 x 30 degrees sequences was scanned without fusing between , big model size and some noises .

I wish Revo Scan software could use DATT to scan each sequence at 20 degrees , fuse it and move the DATT to next sequence and fuse it each time after . That would be very cool , the DATT is already capable of doing it , now only Revo Scan reprogramming.

Here is new app for Revo Dual Axis Turntable programmed by @Jonathan
and Beautified by me :joy: , anything to report please do to the original thread

https://forum.revopoint3d.com/t/android-app-datt-controller/17815?u=popupthevolume

NOTE: Do not pair the DATT to your phone other than via the app , do not operate the App before you see clear the DATT is Connected or it will result with Runtime Error on some devices . You need Connect your DATT before you can operate the APPs buttons .

Android APP to use with Revo Scan , including POP, POP2 and MINI
also great for 360 degree Photography and Photogrammetry.

3 Likes

Hi PUTV, hope you’re doing well :slight_smile:

Maybe you’ve said it before, I’m sorry if I’m repeating but can you give us a small guideline of how to work best with MINI based on your experience?

For example, is it better to scan with MINI in a lightbox with a lot of light, or darkness works better?

What kind of surfaces colors are better to avoid, and in which situations is best to use POP 2, which mode to use, etc…

Anything you can think of that might speed us up in the understanding of MINI vs POP 2.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi Richard,

You will find everything in this thread especially in the begining .

But shortly :

Avoid too much light as it will affect the gain settings under Depth Camera , so use only LED with warmer tones for color scanning . Avoid day light .
Yes things changed , to be able to scan colors with blue light the main software gain increased resulting in high light sensitivity.
So no I would not recommend to use MINI in a light box , I don’t .

Regarding surface colors , best to avoid all colors if you go really for the best mesh quality , meaning use 3D spray .
MINI can’t scan yellow , orange, red, green and any colors that have mix of yellow since yellow absorb Blue Light .
If you put your object in front of MINI in darkness and it slightly glowing like under Black Light then you know this will give you troubles .
Pastel colors scan ok , but deep yellow, gold, red or green are the most difficult even if you set gain to 10 .
But it is possible with some work around .

I would suggest to use POP2 for color scanning , better color rendition and quality .

POP2 is better for scanning bigger objects , plus you have less issues with the colors and gain .
Greater distance , better tracking .
I only use MINI for a very small objects as designed for . I mean I would not bother scanning bigger than 6 inches objects with it, unless I really need the fine details .
There is not much about Richard to understand between both of the device as they working the same way just for different purpose, you need to know what you want to scan with and then choice the right tool, you can’t compare or thinking one gonna do all the work as both was created for different task and they just complement each other .
So not really comparison.
People buy MINI to scan cars when it was made to scan 3 cm objects at 10-20cm distance , with this scanning window you don’t want to scan big objects .

Revopoint upcoming new RANGE scanner is also not a replacement but additional tool for scanning really bigger objects easier , bigger means larger than it was possible with POP2 but not for scanning small objects as MINI can.

I will set new tread soon with some RANGE scanner showcase examples when I get green light to talk about and share , as right now it is still in testing and improving phase.

So Richard , if you about to scan fine and small meshes MINI is your best companion and you should not focus on color scanning using it or your mesh surface gonna suffer , exactly as I predicted early, so scan without color for best fine Mesh quality .
For the rest use POP2 and if you reach the limits wait for RANGE .

But my true love is POP2 just in middle and the most versatile of them all .
I use it mostly in my work for scanning medium size objects and humans .

8 Likes

Thank you PUTV for your time and your detailed explanation. I will keep these great tips in mind when scanning :+1:

I’m also very excited about the upcoming RANGE. I hope you can tell us about it soon!

1 Like

With pleasure Richard , if anything let me know !