[Tutorial] Scanning partial scans using POP2 and Merge it in Cloud Compare

Hello, finally opened my new YT channel to start making some videos for use with POP2.

here is the first tutorial about merging partial scans in Cloud Compare
the first part is just scanning partial scans , little boring that why I put it in separate video

And here is merge 4 partial scans in Cloud Compare

if you have any questions let me known
Please subscribe , I will have more videos soon , just warming up

Cheers,
PUTV

21 Likes

Well done but partly to fast for me (part2). Subscription also done. Would be nice if you could also show how you did the body scan. I’am struggling with very big objects. I have seen the scan of your son (?) and it looks amassing for me.

1 Like

@Obicom thanks a lot for the support , sorry for the part 2 , I tried too many times to make it more detailed , since Cloud Compare is new for most of us here , I think it ask for a separate video about the most import functions that are usable to us with POP2 , it is so much more superior than Revo Studio , maybe just another tutorial with just 2 partial scans for easy going experiences explaining what do what on the way. I never saw anybody merging 4 separate scans at once in CC, that is why I wanted to be a little different with my tutorial . I just need to find a good subject to scan , something mechanical and compact for an easy tutor .

Full body scan tutorial ? well I will think about that , mostly I just scan it in one session at once from top to the bottom moving slowly every 360 degree rotation , but you just give me a great idea , I think it will be much easier if I make a full presentation of the process explaining everything , sort of 3D movie explaining the steps .

If you have any ideas for other tutorials, let me know. I created the channel to support us and the community here in the first place .

7 Likes

I would like a tutorial in editing the texture.

1 Like

No problem , what software you use ? I use for my work Zbrush to do that , and of course Photoshop is the most easy of them all , but my favorite is Zbrush as it can handle big models that POP2 produces .
There is also Meshlab , that I am not big fan off but I can make some tutorial .

What are you familiar with Gerald ?

1 Like

Zbrush is fine, I am not familiar with any of these programs.

Thanks for that. I did try to register some scans with CloudCompare but didn’t manage to find the proper controls. In the end I used RevoStudio to do the align.

Will try again with the info given in your video.

1 Like

Since not everyone has Zbrush due to cost, Blender is possibly more widely available. I also use Nomad sculpt but that has limited platforms as well.

I’ve also had very good luck with Meshlab for alignment. There is a bit of learning required but it’s not bad and that program can do SO much more like mesh generation, smoothing, decimation etc. Mr P has great videos on YT that are a little bit old, but still useful.

2 Likes

I am using Zbrush for work for the last 20 years so I know everything what to do inside the program and also lots of users here using Zbrush as well . I am not familiar with Blender ability to transfer RGB data to Textures and fixing/painting all the job because I don’t use it .
I know Meshlab has the function as well .

I will figure something out to make it easier for everyone

1 Like

Please do, I am new to Cloud Compare , but it is great software , the quality is there , much more superior to Revo Studio that I did not had much luck with alignments , CC offers fines controls on any level plus proper meshing .

It is really simple once you know the basic functions , and the raw manual point alignment and fine alignment are out of the charts , so good , you can also merge scans that have textures as well, or color data per vertex .

It is worth trying in my humble opinion

1 Like

I tried CloudCompare again and had the same problem as before. Couldn’t select any reference points. I then noticed my problem. I was selecting both clouds in the pop up where you are meant to select the align model only. There are all these little steps where it is easy to go wrong.

By the way CloudCompare also works on Linux (I am using the Linux build).

1 Like

That was my mistake the first time I used it , nothing was working , you need to select the first model you want to align too, in this case you choice the model that is most complete but never both, yes I know it work on Linux and also on Mac .

Amazing tutorial, thx a lot, watched all your YT videos and still learning :+1::+1::+1:

Keep up the good work, you are helping many ppl with your expertise!

I am still struggling with Scans and how to fuse them right, but step by step I am getting better

Thx a lot

1 Like

@chickenEye
Thank you very much ! we all keep learning and never stop , there is always something new on the corner.
Merging scans is easy if you have perfect point cloud data , so make sure you did not overscan your objects multiple times , one 360 degree rotation is more than enough for each side if you going to merge , focus on the tracking points so you know when the merge time comes you have some parts overlapped in both parts for the tracking , and for the rest just practice . Each object is new and needs own approach so don’t get discouraged
You going to be better and better with the time , Inwood suggest to practice on the low accuracy first , if you have troubles , it will fuse faster and less processing time , then you can jump into the heavy stuff.

Have fun !

2 Likes

Hi PUTV, thanks for your great material.
I followed your tutorial on how to mesh in CC but unfortunately i get an unexpected result. In this image you can see what happens when i generate the mesh… the piece i scanned and trying to mesh is the blue portion… all the green around has popped out of nowhere and shouldn’t be there. Do you have any suggestions? What did i do wrong?
ty very much

Dami

Hi Dami , I think you missed out small portion where you can actually remove the green portion from the mesh .
The mesh did not have the bottom , so the program recognised it is relief only .

When you meshing it , you have an option that you missed to check in , that allows you to clean later the unwanted parts by just sliding a slider .

I have written another tutorial that shows it exactly

2 Likes

Check this tutorial I made , and go to step # 8
you will find the solution there

2 Likes

After meshing , uncheck the preview model ( point Cloud) , and export just the new mesh
but because you working without bottom , you will need to follow the other tutorial I made to finish it proper .
Or you can export the registered point cloud only ( not the mesh) that you made in CC and import it back to Revo Studio to mesh it and close up the holes , it will give you less headaches in the process , Revo Studio is good in closing holes , choice the tangent option for closing the holes after meshing in Revo Studio . And you will be good to go .

I love working with point clouds in CC and merge them there , if I work with a solid model , I mesh it in CC, if the model is open without bottom , I return back to Revo Studio for the final meshing . I work with many software but Revo Studio do the hole closing process superior to others.

1 Like

1 Like

This is something that I can’t seem to find on the pop 2 when I export I really can’t seem to find the cloud data, so strange. I need to figure that out, having the ability to import vertex color to zbrush is/ less so nice.