[Statement] Special Statement on Product Firmware Upgrade - only for POP

updating an os (software level) is (generally) not updating the firmware… and yet updating the os can still brick the device when that happens the multimillion dollar company will generally replace your device because they FORCED the update onto your device… firmware is like you rooting your phone… which is sub driver level programming and while is generally safe… if you brick your phone from a root no company will cover that cost… the problem is many people don’t seem to understand what a firmware update actually is and are confusing it with other updates which it’s not. if your device is working properly theres no reason to update (like any device) if it’s not let revo know and they’ll decide if the update is a good plan of action or sending a new one is better. They are not forcing you to do the update and explicitly state if everything is working it’s not necessary. IF they forced the update and then it bricked then yes they should do something because you didn’t have a choice if your device worked without an issue. but thats no the case.

people need to stop confusing software updates, driver updates, os updates with firmware updates… one of them is changing how the brain operates on a base level the rest are surface level changes with little to no ability to cause issues as you can just re install them.

ahh i just realized you’re the same person as on facebook that doesn’t understand how it works/ the difference between software and firmware updates. We can go back and forth about this till we’re blue in the face… but what you need to do is discuss with revo if you’re a candidate for the update or if you have an actual issue that they will send a new device for … thats it… theres no point going back and forth being you don’t seem to understand how it works considering everything you mention is never a firmware update.

3 Likes

release notes are a good idea regardless i will give you this.

2 Likes

I’m glad to see some people actually understand this LOL… I do agree that even pushing it from your computer (connected direct through wifi) would be a better choice and maybe have the ability to download the “stock” firmware from someplace to try to re push the og wouldn’t be a bad idea. now granted. pending what happens during the update it wont let you do stock or the update as we both know if it’s hard bricked only solution to that is board level interaction to attempt a fix which even that doesn’t work pending what happens ( i currently have an ecu i’m trying to fix due to someone getting tuned from another company and somehow the power got dropped during the flash… even at board level interaction i have 0 communication so sometimes it’s brick bricked if it’s a power issue which again… thats not revos faults if you lose power in the middle LOL)

1 Like

Please pay attention to what I wrote on Facebook.

I design embedded systems for a LIVING. I know full well how an SoC, microcontroller, x86 or ARM CPU operates. I know the distinction between primary bootloader, bootloader (and no they are not the same thing), kernel, filesystem. I know the boot process involved in pretty much every type of architecture. I know about internal bootloader, recovery mechanism, OTA, security implementation, failsafe design, secure boot of chain, etc etc etc… I can give you the definition of every single word I just used here without looking up anything on the Internet. For that matter, I even provide architectural guidance to customers on how they should implement their solution, both HW and SW.

Risk associated to this update procedure is defined by the design. On most architecture, it is possible to recover even if the entire internal emmc/storage is completely toasted (unless the device has been secured using crypto keys to ensure chain of trust).

So we can have a ping pong game on who’s right, but I can GUARANTEE YOU that I KNOW what I’m talking about.

I’m done arguing with you, on Facebook or otherwise, as in the end, my statement is toward Revopoint, and they’re the one who should respond, not you (since as far as I know, you are not Revopoint representative).

1 Like

I had difficulty believing it, as well, but that is what I was told directly by Revopoint personnel.

I just intended to ask if I get a confirmation when I signed and sent the form, but then it appeared to me that they currently are on holiday for a week in China.

1 Like

this statement from Revopoint is ridiculous. It only shows how NOT customer-oriented they are.
I want to understand what new firmware brings to the device. Stability ?Better scanning ? WHAT ?
We really need a release note about the firmware updates.

Other than that, we should not have to sign anything to access firmware updates.
FW upgrade should be a safe procedure as long as we have a battery operated environment with a full battery.

1 Like

good evening everyone, after texting support, they showed me this link for instructions on how to update the firmware. I hope you can help me. Thank you

As far as I know there are no instructions yet. Revopoint has asked people who are interested to sign an agreement (see earlier in this thread), and I assume they will contact those people who signed it personally by email.
They are currently on holiday, though, till octobre 7th.

Well, as a kickstarter-buyer with an early version and rather tech-literate developer I’m rather open to do this and would not hesitate to opt-in for this.
But, given the “stability” of the different software updates that have been sent out I really don’t see this as an option.

Sure, if I do something wrong and brick the device, I don’t expect any support.
But what if the firmware quality is in the same state as the software it seems rather likely that I could do a update exactly correct and still brick the device…

If you had a reasonable recovery-solution or a good track-record this should be received as an welcome option.

1 Like

I was one of the testers. The firmware upgrade worked without a hitch, but I did it on a fully-charged laptop so I didn’t have to worry about a power glitch. If you have a battery solution (laptop or PC with UPS) and you can keep everyone & everything away from the hardware while it is installing, I really don’t see any problem for upgrading the firmware.

Well, that part isn’t really anything that worries me, I have done plenty of firmware updates on a lot of embedded or stand-alone devices. And if something like that, related to anything outside of Revopoint’s control would brick the device I don’t see any problem at all with it.
But if their own software is bricking the device, I would hold them accountable.

Ie, the main problem I have is that they request you to sign a waiver where all of their responsibilities for the thing they send out.

It would most likely not have bothered me if they had a good proven track record of delivering software without significant regression issues. It’s nice that it worked fine on your hardware and I do want to update the firmware. But not with the current rules.

As it’s been explained to me, the costs associated with sending it back to China for repair are enormous (fees along with shipping, because China’s laws are… different).

I have suggested that Revopoint contract with repair depots on each continent to handle repairs. I have yet to hear back from them on this point.

Yes, and that I fully understand.
And no-one want to brick the device.
Thus the validation of the firmware updates need to be secure enough so that Revopoint trust it enough to let users update their devices.
User-errors etc. should naturally not be covered, but this is how basically all other suppliers handle devices where you update the firmware regularly or irregularly.

If they don’t trust the firmware update, why should we?

1 Like

Just did the firmware update. Mine was a little slow for the “Update” button to appear on the About screen, and it took a long 3 minute for the upgrade. I did have to reset the Hotspot name and password, but all is currently working fine, pc and android, can’t wait to try it this weekend.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. I couldn’t update yet, because the “Update” botton never appeared. You mean, I should wait for it a few minutes?

Correct. I left the POP connected via wifi, Handyscan still up. Essentially I went back through the instructions, to make sure I hadn’t missed any steps.
I came back into Handyscan and the about screen came up, I closed the window and it came back up again. This happened 2 or 3 times, then the Update button appeared.

So my guess is it takes a few minutes to sync or download or something.

1 Like

so do you have better results with a fw upgraded scanner ?

It depends on what you’re scanning. I’ve always had good results with organic shapes (especially those with lots of unique features).

With the firmware upgrade, I’m getting better results with more mechanical objects (boxes, cylinders, etc.).

I finally managed to update the firmware, but I don’t know whether there are any improvements or even changes.
@Revopoint-Cassie : I’d still like to see the release notes resp. change notes of the new firmware, as it was promised.