[Statement] Special Statement on Product Firmware Upgrade - only for POP

so you took the risk and signed the agreement, got the update.
now you have better results with mechanical objects , but not with organic objects. (but it’s not worse ?)

I scan both types. Maybe I should consider taking the risk.

What version has the firmware update !
Maybe I do not need to update my Revopoint Pop !?

Hi @Skink

The newest firmware version is v2.1.7. You can click “About” and find the version number.

Best Regards
Cassie

Hi Cassie

Thanks i have the newest Version of Firmware i have look at “About”

Best Regards
Skink

Do we still have to sign the document and follow instructions in this thread to update the firmware ?
my current fw version is 1.7.2.20210515
That’s too old considering you have the 2.1.7 (a major update)
and it is really ridiculous to be forced to sign such a form to get better/newer firmware
Most probably the device will perform better if updated but Revopoint prevents this or makes it difficult.

Btw, when do I get the firmware if I send the form now ?

Just so everyone knows - you can NOT update through USB you have to do it through the mobile hotspot option so if your desktop does not have a wireless connection, you will need to get a laptop that does or a wireless card to do it. Really don’t like this option. Wireless updating is more prone to problems as wireless connections can go away for no reason.

Well I will have to get handyscan on my laptop and set up mobile hotspot to try and get the firmware update. I really hope you can get an option to just update through usb since there are people like me that use a desktop computer that is wired just because wireless is not as good as wired.

1 Like

Actually, I still don’t understand how it works. kennytent informed us that it takes quite a long time before the “Update” button appears in the “About” dialog next to the firmware version. That’s what I saw, too. I guessed that

1. there is a veryfication process that provides the update only for those who signed the agreement. I had to give the serialnumber of the scanner (and my order number).
  2. the actuall firmware needs to be downloaded. I tried this first with a computer that doesn’t have a wired internet connection, and the Update-button never appeared.

Actually, I was quite nervous during the update process, when it said “it will take 3 minutes”, without a progress bar or any feedback about how it’s going. I hardly dared to move in the vicinity of the computer out of fear I might disrupt the wireless connection. The process is definitely too fragile, and leaves the user completely in the dark.

Also, @Revopoint-Cassie, we were promised release notes and/or a list of changes and improvements with the new firmware. I still haven’t seen anything.

Hi @Eldkatten

Sorry for my late reply. I’m busy working on the software update and arranging firmware updates for the signed users during this period.

As you may know, it’s not so long since we noted that many users want to get the firmware update until our developers make it come true. Therefore, updating by wireless connection is the only method at this period. We sincerely hope you can understand.

I agree that a progress bar is a good suggestion. We will add it in the future.

We only improve the RGB alignment to make the scan progress more fluent/smooth with this new firmware.

Best Regards
Cassie

1 Like

I was nervous as well, but I had a full battery running the POP and just let the process run it’s course.

My computer was on a wifi connection when I downloaded, so like Eldkatten stated, that could explain the delay in the process.

Overall, pretty painless.

To me it definitely seems to be smoother, the scans are more composed, if you will. It doesn’t resolve many of the inherent issues with scanning, but it is definitely better.
The point clouds also seemed to fuse a bit better (for some reason).

I haven’t had a whole lot of time to mess with it yet, and I did the firmware update before I upgraded to version 3.0xxx of the software, to prevent making too many changes at once.
I look forward to having some more time to mess with both updates, hopefully this weekend.

I’ll post one of the scans from this past weekend, in a more appropriate post.

2 Likes

Wich link? @Nikdipalma82 ? I feel interest.

Just updated my POP scanner. It took 4 times before it actually finished the update. Everything went as per the instructions except the message came up saying it will take approx. 3 minutes, but nothing changed after 30 minutes of wait time.

I tried this 3 more times but after 30 minutes of waiting I found that Handy scan was locked up.

On the 4th time I used another computer, as opposed to a battery bank, to power up the POP. ON this time it completed 100% as per the instructions. When I checked the POP via HS the new firmware was installed.

FYI

BR

Bernie

Curious. How long is it taking everyone to get the new firmware once they’ve emailed the signed the waiver agreement and photo to Revopoint?

I wanted play it safe and wait for a few people to do it first. Doesn’t seem like anyone who has upgraded has had any issues. (knock on wood)

I am certain that, if anyone had bricked their POP, we all would have heard about it by now.

2 Likes

Just installed my firmware the other night. Took 10 minutes tops. Easy peasy. Seems to run smoother. I would definitely do it.

I did notice that as it was doing its thing: There is no real progress bar to speak of… so when you click the button to start, it just starts and doesn’t really respond with any notifications for a while. DO NOT TOUCH IT. Let it program the firmware to the POP. Don’t disconnect the power from the POP. Don’t use the computer. Don’t touch the router. Have a cup of coffee or smoke a joint. Before you know it… it’s done.

Your e-mail address will not accept my upgrade documents, your server rejects them with attachments or as embedded images.
Mike Rehmus

Here are the docs

Hi @mrehmus ,

Sorry, there’s something wrong with our mailbox. We’re trying to solve it now.

Anyone who want to send the documents, you can also contact me by Facebook Messenger: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100028024502939

Best Regards
Cassie

Right now, that doesn’t work either. But you have my documents right above your message.`

Hi @mrehmus ,

I sent you an email with the instruction, do you receive it?

Best Regards
Cassie

Yes I received the instructions but no Firmware. I tried replying to your question back to your forum@revopoint3d.com address but it was rejected again.