Problem scanning a cast of lower leg

Here’s the object that I’m trying to scan:

It’s basically a cast of my lower left leg made from plastic wrap, duct tape, 2-part expanding foam, and covered in masking tape. I’ve tried several attempts to scan it, sometimes with a turntable, sometimes without, sometimes using feature mode, body mode, or marker mode. I keep losing tracking, and if I regain it again, the new point cloud that’s scanned is misaligned with the previous one. The marker mode complains that there aren’t enough markers for registration, and all of the markers I have are on that leg cast.

Any ideas on how to get this scan to work?

Pop 2 needs at least 3 markers in its FOV at any given time for makere mode, 5-6 would be better. You might lay it down on the floor, put some stuff around (lego bricks, scrumbled papers or else) and use feature mode, scan both sides separately and removing unwanted parts and aligning two scans in post production.

1 Like

Please use Body mode for the size of this object , it will give you bigger FOV .

Marker mode has the same FOV as Feature mode so very small and a lot of markers need to be used as Ivan said already .

What else you can do is , put the leg on a side on a white sheet and wrinkle the sheet, use Feature mode , then after scanning one side , tourn it on the other side and scan it , then in Revo Studio cut off the parts where the sheet is on both scans and merge the rest together .

You will get the best quality doing it this way.

It would be 35 second job for Range 3D scanner in General mode but it is not yet available .

1 Like

Thanks.

“It would be 35 second job for Range 3D scanner in General mode but it is not yet available.”

“Range 3D scanner”? What is that?

Click my icon next to my name , you will see link to my Range thread , it is new upcoming new Scanner from Revopoint , especially designed to scan larger objects the easy way.

1 Like

I managed to get a scan of the leg in Body Mode, finally. Basically, I used the turntable method described in the next to last paragraph of this post: How to body scan - #7 by PopUpTheVolume

You can see the resulting STL as pictured in Meshmixer:

I also managed to scan an arm cast in the same way, though the fingers of the hand are messed up:

It’s good enough for what I need, though.

1 Like

That’s very good , I hope Body mode give you enough quality .
The FOV is bigger so it is much easier, if you need to scan the fingers you can use feature mode and then merge them back to the main scan in Revo Studio .

1 Like