POP2 - PUTV 3D Models Showcase Progress & Tips

So I started a new scan in feature mode. This time I use the bust as model which came with the POP 2. The POP 2 is connected via WiFi to my computer.

Total frame count of the scanned data: 773
Total fused cloud points: 5786290
Total time for texturing process: 11:42 minutes

Scan result #1 front:

Scan result #1 back:

Scan result #1 right side:

Well, it really seems like the texturing process is somehow buggy. The texture doesn’t look that good. I also have encountered that my CPU was fully loaded for the first 3-4 minutes until the texturing process was at 85%. Then the CPU load decreased to around 30% for over 6-7 minutes while the texturing process seemed to have a downtime and kept staying at 85%. In the last two minutes the CPU then was again more heavily used and the process was finally terminated.

I’m thinking about recording two videos of the whole scanning process to compare and for clarification, if there’s a huge difference in how the POP 2 is connected to my computer but this may take some time for me to achieve this.

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s insane! :scream:
Just glad it’s not nearly as warm in the apartment as it is outside, or I’d probably die right away :see_no_evil:

What also wonders me is the denoising function for meshing the fuse model. The model looks more bumpy when I increase the denoise. For the scan just now I set the denoise to 0 and the model looks much smoother but shouldn’t it be the other way around?

Well you got better results , I just open a brand new POP2 yesterday with the last firmware already installed on it and the same results with the last software build .
Beside there is some issue with the White Balance on the textures … so even with the best light there is an issue .
First scan using the new device seems ok

second scan couple min later and back to the same

so definitely software issue , I tested 4 devices and same thing .

No, outside is 38C right now , inside 26 C , but we are used to warm in summer so 26C is still ok, thankfully next week it get little down already .

1 Like

That is weird indeed … need to check it out as usually I use only max 3 with POP2 or 0 denoiser with MINI .

1 Like

First issues, the RGB Calibration is wrong when you see any edge in your preview different than the model color , you can’t fix it calibrating the device as it is as far as it goes … need software adjusting

RGB color per vertex good

Textures sharper on the side you started scanning vs the side you stopped scanning

5min later another scan with scrambled textures and the last scanned potion

10 min later everything is shifted with another scan

20 min later another scan messed up even worse and rainbow overcast appear , making me thinking , did it heat up ? or what is going on .

The model itself is perfect , not changes in quality

I am observing that the changes in the fussing, meshing, texturing duration in the latest builds have to do with the change of the point cloud fusing density , POP2 never had that dense cloud point after fusing at 0.1mm , but I believe the new firmware/algorithms somehow altered POP2 for better quality of the mesh as I am picking details not seeing before .

Even if you scan with MINI with new firmware and fuse it fast at 0.2mm you still will get better quality and details than POP2 at 0.1mm before , that explain why the waiting for the process increased , with the older software my CPU stays at 35%, with the last one it get to 100% while processing .

And @Bango your CPU need to get at max to process the textures , there are millions of pixels that need to be projected to the new texture maps , so it is not like copy and paste process , each pixel need to be placed on the right island so usually the process take some time in any other software I use as well . How dense the model , how longer it will take, plus it work in virtual memory doing it before it write it down to your project folder , for that reason you see the spikes of the CPU what is normal .
I see also my GPU activity increased to 7% while processing what is half more than before .
When I generate displacement or normal maps in other programs it can take sometimes 40min to 1 hour to write it down to the files … so nothing unusual here.

We all want a very good quality meshes after all no matters how long it take, and if you don’t care just set the fuse to higher volume and have things done quickly …

If you see what files are generated by very expensive scanners that normal user can’t afford , and I had to work with it for years, you will be thankful for what you have right now , as nothing I worked with before delivered so clean meshes before .

Now only if they fix the textures in the software, it would be something … it already happening and they are on it …

1 Like

But 26° C inside would be too much for me. I definitely couldn’t stand those temps without my fan :sweat_smile:
Well, then you’re lucky. It’s already announced that we’ll get about 38° C again next week :see_no_evil:

I know but like I said the CPU load goes down to 30% after a few minutes and then the process seems to stagnate for another 5 minutes. I can’t believe this is the way it should work. I was able to record the videos and now I’m only waiting for them to be uploaded to my google drive. There you can see the load of my system during the process. Luckily, as far as I can tell there aren’t any huge differences if I use the scanner in USB mode or via Wifi on my computer. But I’ve noticed another weird thing. The RGB camera changes from Auto to Manual as soon as I start scanning. Don’t know if there’s a relation to the texture issue.

1 Like

@PUTV
So here are the videos I’ve recorded.

Colored Scan Test - Wired to PC:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-sWSTV0l5iDLTfHcOqZBhU0ybiUU32It/view?usp=sharing

Colored Scan Test - WiFi to PC:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hcw7qXSAuzYjFsqypMFwcAkHsvp1SABd/view?usp=sharing

It may take some time until the videos are both accessible and viewable in a good quality.

It would be worse if it changed from manual to Auto , you should set it on Auto after adjusting switch to Manual and then scan other way the textures will have different brightness and white balance.

2 Likes

You need to give permission to watch the video … unable to view it without .

1 Like

But wouldn’t it be better if it didn’t change at all?

Oh okay, sorry, I thought the videos were accessible for everyone who uses the links. I’ll take a look now.

2 Likes

@PUTV
You should be able to see the videos now

2 Likes

Before it changed from Auto to manual :joy: , there is always something for something , but now at least it is usable . :laughing:

1 Like

Do you now have access to the videos?

1 Like

Yes I just watched it , nothing different than on my PC, only my textures getting faster, yours seems writing down for so long ? What kind of hard drive you have ? Very fast M2 SSD will speed stuff up .

I mean the process is exactly the way it should , loading stuff to RAM processing , back to hard drive etc…

1 Like

I’m using a normal SSD hard drive for this as I don’t want to mess up my m2 SSD. It’s not that big. However, the texturing process went much faster before the update, even on the normal SSD, so the hard drive shouldn’t be the issue.

1 Like

the only way to find is open Task Manager and see what it is doing while texturing , especially by the end as that is writing down the files .
Anyway things changed and I also see from details that POP2 somehow capture more data as I mentioned before , so this all together delaying the process , MINI works the same way but there is so much more data processed .
We will see when they fix the things if anything improve .
In Main time try to fuse your model at pitch point 0.2mm and see if anything get faster … if not then it will be on you … :grin:

1 Like

Okay, I’ll check whether and to what extent the hard disk is being used during the texturing process ASAP

2 Likes