People that have received the unit already - how's the experience so far?

So I’ve seen some mixed opinions here, some people say it’s bad while the others are showing some great results.
I’d like to clarify so I’m asking yall to answer some questions that may be helpful for newcomers:

1. How is the tracking, does it lose tracking often?
  2. How does it scan things with sharp edges, does it smooth em over?
  3. Are colored scans really that terrible, is that why most Revopoint’s scans were not textured?
  4. Any driver/power issues, has anyone tried it with a USB 3.0 hub?
  5. How’s the scanning speed, is the 7Hz refresh rate real or is it slower?
  6. If the software fails to correctly align scan data, is there an option to redo aligment (or at least remove badly aligned frames)?
  7. Is the 0.3mm resolution achievable? What’s the smallest item you were able to successfully scan?
  8. How well does it scan things that are not ceramic white and aren’t human skin? I’ve seen people here saying that when scanning anything other than these resolution is greatly decreased, especially with darker objects.
  9. Does scanning with a smartphone work yet? How does it compare to scanning with a computer?
  10. Any success scanning big objects, say a car, with the markers?

EXTRA - 11) What do you think of the new Creality 3D scanner? It costs a bit more than POP (retail) and has a few advantages like higher resolution, white light projector (ability to scan black), faster scanning and better textures, but doesn’t support scanning with a smartphone and processes scans online (red flag if servers are shut down).

1 Like

Hey so got mine about 2 hours ago looks like there are about 15 undo steps and theyre more than a one frame jump though so scan a unique feature pause reset pause undo reset ive not had issues with dark objects iy has quasi intelligent realaign color seems to work ok too

1 Like

Good questions indeed, I wish I could answer, but still waiting for my unit. I also posted a suggestion, SW related on the scanning workflow, I hope the Revopoint Team will carefully look at these and consider your questions thoroughly. Having seen results (some are very good) I believe the unit/sensor is quite capable and that the key for success is really the software (and maybe firmware), to achieve an ‘intelligent’ and as automated as possible scan workflow to get the most out of it. We, as backer, are really (going to be) the early beta testers and our comments/suggestions will certainly help them a lot to improve the scanning software.
As for the new Creality 3D scanner I personally would definitely avoid a scanner that needs online processing, I used to do photogrammetry in the past with an ‘online only’ tools from Autodesk, and when they shut dow the service their software was dead… this could also happen, too risky for me

Another question that would be interesting, : What influence does the CPU speed have on scans (lost frames, quality…) ?

1 Like

None as im running 5950x with a 3090 and 64gb 3200 cl14 and its thensame speed as my laptop tried direct and 3d accelerated vdi

1 Like

hey to be honest intelligent remaping while great wouldnt be as good as the ability to manually resync the alignment. i will be posting a list of suggestions in the feed back, if they sound reasonable and excellent tag an i agree on the post and hopefully we can get some weight behind it :slight_smile:

Hi Sheeter,
Thanks for your valuable questions. Our product director will reply all of them soon.

Thanks for your questions.

I am Vivian, the Product Director of Revopoint 3d. It’s my great pleasure to receive your valuable suggestions on POP. Thanks for your attention.

(1) How is the tracking, does it lose tracking often?

While scanning objects with multiple features, the POP works smoothly, rarely losing track. And for human scans, practice makes perfect. If you are skilled, the scanning frame will not be lost.

(2) How does it scan things with sharp edges, does it smooth them over?

POP is a high-precision 3D scanner and while scanning, plenty of details can be captured: the closer you are, the more details you can get. So, I recommend you scanning objects with sharp edges at a closer distance of around 200 mm to 250 mm to require more details.

(3) Are colored scans really that terrible, is that why most Revopoint’s scans were not textured?

Users could get good color models with POP, and You can download the color model at Revopoint3d (@Revopoint3d) - Sketchfab
Most printer users are more concerned about the details of the shape than the color.

(4) Any driver/power issues, has anyone tried it with a USB 3.0 hub?

We strongly recommend using the USB 3.0 interface. The USB 3.0 interface works very well; however, the USB 2.0 interface could not sometimes provide POP sufficient power, which may fail to get sufficient power.

(5) How’s the scanning speed, is the 7Hz refresh rate real or is it slower?

You can test the scanning speed by yourself. POP is able to reach the performance we promised.

(6) If the software fails to correctly align scan data, is there an option to redo alignment (or at least remove badly aligned frames)?

There is Undo button on HandyScan UI, allowing users to undo the scanned frames when the point cloud is aligned wrongly.

(7) Is the 0.3mm resolution achievable? What’s the smallest item you were able to successfully scan?

Yes, POP could reach each parameter we promised.
The following is a video link for scanning the small object, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19ZM4C-JPUM
POP could scan the object around 30 x30 x30(mm).

(8) How well does it scan things that are not ceramic white and aren’t human skin? I’ve seen people here saying that when scanning anything other than this resolution is greatly decreased, especially with darker objects.

For most optical scanners, the accuracy of scanning black objects will relatively lower than others, but not all black objects present such a scanning effect.
For shiny black surfaces, there is a significant decrease in accuracy; but for black diffuse surfaces, the accuracy would be much better.
POP has specialized options for the dark object. Users can try it and it works well with common dark and diffusive objects.

(9) Does scanning with a smartphone work yet? How does it compare to scanning with a computer?

1. The Beta Version Android has been uploaded on our official website; you can download it from www.revopoint3d/download
  2. The iOS version is expected online on April 20.
  3. The max frames that the mobile APP could scan without any interruption and maximum frame number could be slightly less than the PC software due to the phone’s memory limitation.
    Even if the accuracy of smartphone scanning will be reduced a little, it is still wonderful. The following is a model scanned by POP Android App.
    Picture1 Picture2

(10) Any success scanning big objects, say a car, with the markers?

The following are the links to scan big objects:
Scan a car with the markers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GPHCrbNdhE
Scan a big sculpture: https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEjFVXBvI10

I have watched the live video released by Creality recently.

Here I’d like to put some comments on that.

1)Scan Black ?

For most optical scanners, the accuracy of scanning black objects will relatively lower than others, but not all black objects present such a scanning effect. For shiny black surfaces, there is a significant decrease in accuracy; but for black diffuse surfaces, the accuracy would be much better.

The black and shiny surface is a common problem for 3D scanners. POP using infrared light that could scan black surface a little better than white light.

This is the link of scanning a girl with black hair by POP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9zqKjC9Kz4&t=11s

2) Fast ?

It is noticed that their live video showed that the frame rate is around 7 fps.

Revopoint only writes the parameters we have reached.

3)Better texture?

I’m not sure. I did not get any color model by their product

POP’s RGB camera is 2 megapixels, which could provide a good texture.

PS: In the live they showed a Chinese 3d model website;

Revopoint POP vs Creality 3d scanner

POP is committed to providing high-precision 3D scanning results and a good scanning experience. We are professional in developing and producing 3D scanners and have produced tens of thousands of products with high quality.

Cable Connecting:

POP requires only one USB cable for both power supply and data transmission, which is more convenient and much simpler for handheld scanners. If you have used a professional scanner, you will know how annoying it is to scan things with so many wires.

Binocular Cameras VS One Camera

You may notice that their scanner has a projector and 1 camera, their intrinsic parameters are easy to change when the device is heating or long-time using and needs to be calibrated frequently;

I have not seen how their products are calibrated.

POP has two cameras, which are much stable and you do not need to calibrate when long time using.

White light VS Infrared Light

Strong white light would make the user uncomfortable when scanning humans, and the ambient light around them would sometime affect the scanning result much. Outdoor scanning is impossible.

POP is equipped with infrared light, helping to scan humans without any comfort, and their accuracy and the scan result would not be affected by the ambient light indoor. In cloudy days, you can scan outdoor with good effects.

Size & Weight

With mall size and light weight like a cigar, POP is really portable. POP only weighs 200g, only 1/10 of the counterpart. allowing users long-time holding easily.

Computer Requirements:

Their Products need high-performance computers. Handy Scan could work on a general Computer smoothly.

OS support:

POP has embedded calculation inside on point cloud, greatly lowering computation burden on PC and smart phones. So it could work on Windows, Android, iOS, and Mac, easy to use everywhere,

Revopoint Team

The Revopoint Team has engaged in 3D imaging and 3D scanner for over 20 years, Revopoint 3D is willing to make game changes in 3D scanning field with good products and services. We heartfully look forwards to your suggestion for our improvement, and we are glad to hear your thought about 3d scanner. Let us make some new game-changing products together.

Best Regards

Vivian

Product Director

1 Like

honestly the creality 3d scanner is a rebrand of the phiz 3d scanner, which I was a backer for, and asked to get a refund, to this day I’ve yet to get the scanner nor a refund. also the phiz scanner was met with endless delays and more lies from the CEO of the company to the point that at least 20% of backers requested their money back due to their endless deceptive efforts. they also were planning to charge monthly to use the app that only works if their servers are up, trust me when I say: the revo pop is lightyears better in almost every way. support alone outshines phiz or whatever creality will be able to provide. in the fb group the CEO stated that all support for both the phiz and the creality 3d scanner version will all go back to kiri innovation who made the phiz. they couldnt even refund me yet alone ship a scanner. revopoint literally made us a forum to address and issues or shortcomings or any advantages for scanner which is more phiz or creality has ever done. I bought 10 cr6se and 2 of them came broken, I never got the replacement parts so I just ended up fixing it myself. revopoint is literally the best kind of support I’ve seen from any kickerstarter, on par with laserpecker, so hats off to you revopoint.

just my honest 2 cents between the revopoint vs the creality/ phiz scanner from past experience.

1 Like

The comment about scanning mat black objects doesn’t ring true for me. I’m trying to scan black pistols and the POP doesn’t see them at all. A tan pistol kinda works, but not very well.
I’m thinking I may need to buy some 3d scanner spray. Need to find one that is easy to clean.

I got mine yesterday and have spent a bit of time with it today. My underpowered PC does a decent job with the turn table and the included bust. The biggest issue that I’m having is that the turn table spins too fast for my computer to really deal with leading to jumps and ghosting. (Not sure if that’s the term, but several of the same item will appear in different orientations.) It’s hardly an insurmountable problem, but it will take a bit of practice to work with while I wait for the MacOS version.

I think that it’s got promise, but until a MacOS compatible version of the software comes out, my experiences are likely at the low range of what’s possible with the hardware. Still, I do think that I’ll wind up using the hardware a bunch and the turntable should make it relatively easy for photogrammetry when the 3d scanner isn’t suited for the item.

From my experience, the app itself is very buggy, but the hardware shows promise. On Android and the default settings were… mediocre. Some parts of the part I was scanning were great, others weren’t, and I couldn’t get it to see the contours very well.
Finally I went to the settings for the black and white camera and noticed the Auto gain didn’t seem to auto… well anything. I set it up to 3 and you could see the clarity increase in the display. Tried again and the scan came out beautiful! At least as well as I could expect scanning a weirdly shaped part anyway.
Then I tried to export it, and it … didn’t. Despite having been set to STL so I could work with it in Blender or FreeCAD, it still output in PLY, which RENDERED in FreeCAD, but you can’t make this into a mesh to 3D print in any useful way. Changing it to OBJ gave me an output I could work with in Blender, but still can’t really do anything useful with it.
Also, connecting my phone as a drive was the only way it would work, it would send via email, but sent a zip file that was 22 bytes, with nothing in it. Google Drive wouldn’t even let it upload sharing that way.

It’s very cool, and a little frustrating, because you can see how it can be great, but it’s just not quite there yet.

The free MeshLab software can read PLY files and export them as STL. It is also a very powerful editor (with a terrible user manual), but you don’t need those to do what you need here.

https://www.meshlab.net/#download

Jeff

Nifty, it even looks like it supports Ubuntu. I’ll have to try that out, thank you sir!

I received mine (POP) yesterday. I’ve 20+ years in the IT industry, running infrastructure, hardware development, software development, and I have to say this is a terrible “release” of a product. I have used several consumer and commercial grade scanners before, and was hoping at it’s price-point, to be a good simple tool for rapid prototyping/mobile field usage. It would be considered early Alpha at best. Incredibly buggy hardware and software. So far I have been unable to connect to Mac OS, iOS, Android, or Windows systems. I have used inline USB monitors and discovered an incredibly high power consumption via USB [3.0/A-C] (exceeding the specification of the USB standards at some points). I will be requesting a full refund as soon as possible. I only came to the forum to see if other people had the same problems, and from what I’ve seen here and comments on social media, it would seem I’m not the only one. This product is not consumer-ready, and they cannot provide it for sale when it clearly doesn’t work, and hope their customers can provide end-user feedback to debug software and hardware. Sure if it were a crowd-funding project, with that being advertised, you would accept those conditions with the purchase, however they have committed fraud by proposing the product is fit for purpose at this current time.

The software has many features and options greyed out and unavailable, yet they list them as features in all advertising/manuals. None of them are mentioned as “coming soon” etc. Just plain false advertising. Also based here in Australia, the power supply they provide for the turntable is not compliant. Anyone planning to use it is a school/education location, would need to buy their own power supply to be safe and legal.

I appreciate there are some people out there that have got them working, and produced scans, but when it does not work out of the box, and clearly does the same for a lot of people, the product is not legitimate. I have not purchased it as a hobby to ‘tinker’ with.

1 Like

Hi @ren

Thank you for this post.

I noticed that you said you’re unable to connect to macOS, iOS, Android, or Windows. Could you share more details about the problems you met? For example, when you use Windows, what problem do you encounter when connecting POP to your PC?

Could you please send us a video with your problems? You can send it to support@revopoint3d.com, and CC forum@revopoint3d.com.

At this period, all versions we had promised are available.

1. For Windows, if the USB port is USB3.0, and your windows system is Win 8/10, it is straightforward to use the POP. You only need to plug the POP into the port.

2. For macOS, iOS, you can use the POP with the Wi-Fi mode.

3. For Android, if your phone allows a large current supply to external devices, you can use the POP with both USB and Wi-Fi mode. If your phone doesn’t allow that, you can use Wi-Fi mode or a mobile kit to connect the POP via USB.

My experiences have been diametrically opposed to yours. Both my htc smartphone and my Dell laptop have no problems connecting to the POP using either USB or Hotspot (WiFi).

I have read of one forum member’s problem with overheating; his unit was replaced by Revopoint and he is a happy (or at least happier) camper.

At 3 amps current draw, it sounds to me as if there is a physical fault in your unit. Before you get a refund, you should explore a replacement.

1 Like

In a word - awful.

1 Like