New Pop2 problems

I have spent hours fiddling with this buggy thing and have only successfully scanned the model bust that came with the kickstarter package. Pretty usesless at this point.
Manual is pretty lame. Vidoes make it look kinda point and shoot but my scans always have misaligned repeats of surfaces. With scan table, by hand, with markers, without, light/dark, auto/manual doesn’t matter.
I have tried the software on the iphone, crashed all the time but did manage to get the model bust scanned but only that worked. I went to the windows app and can’t get anything else to scan no matter the color, angle etc.
I don’t know how anyone is getting scans from this thing. Maybe mine is defective?
I bought the POP2 because I didn’t want a first generation scanner but now I feel like an idiot. I should have put this money toward a new iPad. The scans might not be sub millimeter accurate but at least it has many uses. This isn’t even heavy enough to use as a paperweight. Feeling ripped off right now.
I need a scanner for my small business but this doesn’t look like it is going to do what I need.
Also, the tripod is crap! Flimsy legs and a cable mounted high is a recipe for a scanner smashing to the floor.
Packaging etc. are good but if the device itself can’t do anything it was advertised to do then what’s the point?

1 Like

@phineasjw @scooter @Revopoint-Cassie

I am in the same boat. The POP2 barely interfaces with any of the software, so it’s completely useless. Why was this not resolved even before releasing. No one sells anything and tells the customer to wait an unspecified amount of time before they can use it because not everything is complete.

How do we return and get a refund? This was not cheap either as a new graduate to just brush off.

1 Like

Just wanted to add myself to the list. Have used a few other scanners and have never had this type of problem with any of them. Was able to successfully scan the bust that comes with, but since then have wasted the past 2 days messing with the few settings available with zero success. The tutorial videos are basic and unhelpful to say the least.

Biggest issues are:

1. Scanner loses track ALL the time. No matter what “mode” or brightness setting is used.
  2. When changing orientation after pausing the scan, the scanner won’t combine the scans. Instead, it just creates a new scan on top of the previous. Makes for a jumbled mess.
  3. While using the turntable, the scanner will randomly start another scan in a different orientation without it moving on the table.
  4. Even after completing a scan, if the undo button was used at all, all of the removed points seem to re-appear after clicking stop and complete with the fuse point cloud action.

Just a mess overall. Shouldn’t have been released.

1 Like

Hi @glassTransition ,

Here, you can find the manuals and some tutorial videos:

We are keeping add more videos as soon as possible.

Best Regards
Cassie

Hi @glassTransition ,

I checked our users’ manual, and found that we had added this on our users’ manual.

As for the videos, we made some videos to teach users. I added it yesterday. You can find it on our website and also on this forum.

Forum: Revopoint POP 2 User Manual - Multi-language Included

But, anyway, I admit that we don’t consider all the aspects ideally, and we apologize for that. We will try our best to update the manuals and more tutorial videos as soon as possible.

Best Regards
Cassie

1 Like

@thrawn @scooter

I also am disappointed in the lack of maturity of the software and documentation. The Covid lockdown in China should have given them MORE time to get things done… but…

I think you should hang in there. The biggest thing that I have discovered is that the exposure level changes when you switch from preview mode. If the depth camera level is too low, you will have tracking errors etc. The other settings are important, but only after you get a basic scan with proper tracking.

This is my latest attempt at a quick detailed scan and it is much closer to what I was expecting.

2 Likes

@glassTransition well done !
yes I can confirm that the exposure settings and sometimes in the Depth camera settings changing from Manual to Auto or vice versa when moving from preview , or when starting scanning , it is little annoying , but hey it is BETA … however the Depth sensor settings is the major problem why people have issues with tracking.

@Revopoint-Cassie
I have tried all depth settings, manaul and auto and it never gets it right. Just a jumble of overlapping clouds with features missing based on color. Only seems to work on the model bust and sort of on faces. I think, in my case at least, training videos and manuals are unlikely to solve this.
Software definitely picks its own settings when you switch from preview to scan. Manually twiddling settings while in scan still hasn’t been successful. Most everything is masked red no matter what number I set the Depth slider to during scan so by default that info is going to be ignored.
Again, I have been burned by kickstarters before so now I pick a company that has already demonstrated they can build the thing I want and are building at least a version 2. My intent was to buy a tool not and R&D/debug project.
And yet here I am fighting unfinished software and hardware that may not be working instead of successfully scanning parts. Spent half of yesterday failing to scan and the other half manually cadding a part I needed because the scanner is at present worthless.
If I had bought this directly they have a money back policy. I assume since I bought via kickstarter it is just a case of tough luck.

1 Like

@phineasjw , I get your frustrations … It is not the device but rather the new software that is still in beta , maybe you try the old Handy scan software. It is much simpler and less buggy and better for practice , that is how I learned how to use the first POP1 .
I bought POP1 in the store last year , and I love it. That is why I purchased POP2 and I do not regret spending money on it twice with the full price of the premium package .

Make sure that you do not have too much light around your scanned object, I tried to scan textured objects yesterday and it took me a while to adjust the light right to not affect the tracking .
Also the new software sometimes does not allow you to adjust the Depth sensor camera , I have to click Manual and Auto back and forth to unlock it … so definitely it is not the device as it works just fine with older apps .
I really believe that everyone having issues scanning is due to the new software bugs… 100%
as I reconstructed the same errors already . And you will not find videos showing you the errors so hard to learn how to avoid them .

Revopoint should make a video showing all the errors and how to avoid all of them , the best way to learning by trial and error .
I am experienced 3D professional for the last 24 years , but it is first time that I own infrared based 3D scanner and the learning curve is different from anything else I used before , and on some point I was newbie to it as you are right now , so do not give up, it is great device ! I just hope they fix the bugs soon as the new software is so much better … just not ready yet

1 Like

Hi @phineasjw ,

Sorry so much for your bad experience.

We’re planning an online live stream to show how to use the POP 2 (maybe in the following week).

If you have time, welcome to watch the live.

Best Regards
Cassie

1 Like

Hi @PUTV ,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Revopoint should make a video showing all the errors and how to avoid all of them , the best way to learning by trial and error .

Yes, I agree. That’s why we made these videos:

Do you think these are what users really need? If no, do you have any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help.

Best Regards
Cassie

2 Likes

These are good. How about one that shows adjustment of depth camera exposure to the proper level for different colored surfaces. We don’t need music in the background IMO.

1 Like

UPDATE 3/26/2022: My device was completely out of calibration. I used the calibration tool and that brought the scanner hardware into usability.
Now I am struggling with the software. I have also tried the older handycam version but the results seemed pretty much the same. Doesn’t take much for the software to loose orientation and then end up with multiple surfaces at random angles. I end up stopping before I get the entire scan done for fear the loss of orientation will ruin whatever had been scanned up to that point. The other issue (inherent in this type of scanner tech) that the color/material drastically impacts whether the surface gets scanned in. I need to research tips and tricks for overcoming surface scanability issues.
One observation: I would not let the software record cloud data when the scanner says “Too near” or “Too far”. That is when the software looses orientation and creates the 1960’s psychedelic spinny cloud of mess. Instead, alert the operator (a beep would be nice) and wait for the scanner to move back to excellent/good range before resuming cloud data capture.

Cassie, very good tutorials , however there are bugs in the software and I am afraid tutorial will not help with the problem if the person is not aware of that issue . Major issue the Depth Camera sensor not always showing what is in the preview , it get stuck and if this happens the alignment is no right , it is not happening always but too often , I need to click manual and auto back and forth to restore the actual Depth camera preview and get the proper gain . I tried Handyscan it was working fine so definitely Revo Scan beta bug . Maybe tomorrow I will record it for you so you can see exactly the problem.

1 Like

@phineasjw too far or too close can mess up stuff sometimes , but most important to avoid is too close , as you will lose the range of the infrared pattern that is projected on the model , too far is not doing it as I checked yesterday all combinations . There is huge room for improvement but the programmers need to see it so I will prepare some report this week on all the issues . The device is all fine after calibration , but the software need more work .

1 Like

I think that is an excellent option to add to the software.

I would prefer a sliding tone for distance rather than a beep. It would allow a smoother feedback response when scanning manually.

1 Like

The BEEB is there already and it annoying me for the reason the speaker icon is there to shut it down if desired.

I would prefer not having the scan stopping scanning if it is too far, only if is is too close … because if it is too far it does not really affect anything ( beside the color textures). I prefer to do it on a larger distance , less problems with alignments , scanning too close results in a bad alignment faster as the infrared light pattern is not projected in the whole frame but just half of it . I recorded the infrared light frame yesterday and many things become more clear to me .

Tracking was my biggest problem too until I stuck a huge amount of dots on a model, problem almost eliminated.:face_with_spiral_eyes:

@glassTransition that scan actually looks really good! i can’t even get the pop2 to stay connected via wifi long enough for REVOSCAN to respond. the program keeps showing the rainbow wheel and the buttons dont respond.

I’m using a PC and the Pop2 is connected via USB. I haven’t had much luck with wifi scanning.