My Kickstarter MINI arrived! First scans

Hi, thanks for replying.

I have just come off a one-to-one support session with Leann at Revopoint and it was brilliant.

She answered a lot of my questions and I’ve managed at long last to get a good scan of a small engine part that had been defeating me for days. The success might have been down to her help or it might have been down to the latest version of the Revoscan software I got from the forum link.

Whatever it was, I’m making progress.

From what I learned today I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you used feature mode to scan the miniatures. Feature mode is great for artistic, detail rich objects. My car part was black in some places, shiny in others and had flat, featureless sides. As a result I needed to spray it and scan it from high enough up and far enough away for the scanner to ‘see’ enough tracking markers.

So onwards and upwards!

Thanks again.

Andy

4 Likes

thats awesome, glad you are making progress.
Spraying the part you want to scan is very important, even on some of my clay sculptures with lots of tracking feature I sprayed it with a zinc oxide / denatured alchohol mix, it made the scans so much cleaner. There was a recent video as well showing tracking working better when the part was laid down on a rocky / textured surface.
The thing with the mini its designed for small’ish objects, scanning large parts in hand held mode can work, but will take practice I feel.
I’m waiting for the hand held stabliser to arrive before I attempt hand scanning.

Did someone say “Engine parts”?? :wink:

Please share photos!!!

-TM

1 Like

Well, it’s probably less exciting than it sounds. I was just looking for something small to practice scanning with and the temperature sensor had a shiny metal bit, corroded metal bit, a rubber O ring and four, featureless flat black sides. I figured if I could scan that, I’d be making progress.

9 Likes

Very nice scanning! Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Updated to the latest version of revoscan, the auto gain seems to help when scanning on a turntable, a great update.
Here is a little 20cm clay sculpture scanned and processed in revoscan, single pass, high accuracy feature mode with auto gain.

3 Likes

Excellent capture of the details @johnchen

Thanks for sharing !

1 Like

video of scan in zbrush

1 Like

and here is the final sculpture reworked in zbrush :slight_smile:

more photos on my twitter is anyone is interested. https://twitter.com/webbyeasy

5 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: How to get better details with MINI?

Sculpture by Nita Collins
Updated to Revoscan 5, did a comparison scan with revo 4.

Seems like its getting a bit more detail, the new version also runs quiet nice.

well done @Revopoint a good step forward.

2 Likes

Sculpture by Nita Collins

did another revo 5 color scan using same model

3 Likes

A lot more details indeed … nice comparison !

1 Like

Sculpture by Nita Collins, aprox 12cm tall

uploaded the color scan to sketchfab, the mesh is heavily decimated.

3 Likes

Hi @johnchen ,

Thank you for sharing this excellent showcase! The details looks so great! :+1:

1 Like

scanning my own face, standard feature mode

1 Like

I sculpted , scanned and reworked this dracula sculpture in a day using oil based clay / MINI / Zbrush

it really is a great workflow using the best of traditional and digital.

original clay sculpture

scanned with mini, 1 single scan but using two angles.

raw scan in zbrush

about 5 hours reworking ontop of the scanned sculpt in zbrush

4 Likes