Mac / iOS - There has to be a better way!

I’m a Mac / iOS user. I received my Revopoint POP today, was excited, now, not so sure. Skimming through this forum seems like I am not the only one having issues connecting.

Changing my iPhones name for it to work is just plain ridiculous and unacceptable. Secondly, I can’t use my iPhone as a hotspot without changing my phone plan.

USB / Website does not have mac software. However was looking more forward to using this with my iphone for more freedom.

My Questions:

1. Is there a firmware update that is plan for addressing the connection issues everyone is having?
  2. Is there plans for a Mac software?

…if the answer to both of those is no
Does anyone want to buy this from me?

5 Likes

I’m a Mac & iPhone user too. I totally agree with you about the changing the iPhones name for it to work is ridiculous and unacceptable. There definitely should be Mac software too.
On another note, I didn’t know / they didn’t make clear that the cable needed for iPhone is a Micro 3.0 to lightning cable. The only thing I read was a lightning cable, so I didn’t order their cable. Can I buy this cable on Amazon or can I get a USB 3 to lightning cable converter?

6 Likes

Looking for an adapter cable is not easy. Most of those cables are for a full-size USB connector. Need to know the name/size of the USB connector on the POP. Lots of Lightning to USB C but that will not work.

Hi, @WilliamB

1. Users can revise the hotspot name and password on the Windows version of Handy Scan. You can see this post: [Update] The New Windows Version of Handy Scan(V2.4.7)-20210430 - #5
  2. Yes, the Mac software will be released on about 20 May.

I changed the hotspot on the Pop with the windows software. Once I got it on my home wifi network, I could use my iPhone (on the same wifi) to scan.

8 Likes

Your dog is cute. Just reminder, if you want to get a good scan result, you need to make sure the scanned object can not move. :smiley:

Did you get your dog’s consent to publish his picture ? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, @Revopoint-Cassie
Did you not read my post?

1. I have seen your team post to many users who use Mac/iOS to use windows. This is very ignorant! We are not going out to buy a new computer to fix your companies mistakes. Please stop suggesting Mac/iOS users to go out and get a windows computer. Again I do not have hotspot capability. Can we change this with firmware update

2. Will the Mac Software allow users to update the revopoint firmware to not use hotspots and allow the phone to connect to revopoints WiFi like a modern normal device?

3 Likes

@kelnishi
I am happy for you that its working!

I don’t have windows and will not buy a computer to work solely for this fix. My problem is using the phone as a hotspot for this device to work is a poor engineer choice. Your phone should connect to the Revopoints Wifi not the other way around.

Photography devices that control your cameras are connected to the devices wifi.
Speakers with apps have you connect to the speakers bluetooth or wifi.

Why is it this device makes you use a hotspot? There is no reason for this other then poor engineer choices and lack of R&D. Like was this not beta tested? I think the developers are engineer based and wouldn’t surprise me by the iOS app design as well.

1 Like

@mrehmus Sounds like your in need of one of the following
• USB Type A to Lightning Adapter. (Lightning to USB Camera Adapter - Apple)
• USB Type C to Ligntning Adapter.

NOTE: I do not know if Revopoint POP is capable with using adapters but hopefully they can let you know.

Hi, @WilliamB

1. Sorry, maybe I misunderstand your meaning first, then I think you misunderstand my meaning. I didn’t recommended you to use Windows, and I don’t think our team had recommended so. We will launch Mac version, so we don’t need to do so.
    I mention Windows is just because you said that "Changing my iPhones name for it to work is just plain ridiculous and unacceptable. ", I told you that the name and password can be revised now.
  2. I’m not sure at this moment, but I will record this suggestion.
1 Like

@Revopoint-Cassie Thanks for your response.

However telling Mac/iOS users that it can be changed by windows now and linking it to that is not helpful at all, and implies to go get a windows computer, whether you meant it that way or not. I have seen this response throughout the forum.

Tell Mac/iOS users if this is to be true “The Mac software version soon to be released on May 20th will allow you to change the devices Name and Password. However, if you plan to use your iPhone you will need to have Hotspot as part of your phone plan to use.” This is something that should of been stated in the kickstarter.

I really hope you can update the firmware to reverse the wifi connection protocol, although I now fear its too late to change that due to hardware decisions.

Thanks for you post. USB connector on the POP comes with 2 cables, one has full USB and the other has USB C.

Thanks for your post. I’ll try ordering the USB Type A to Lightning Adapter from Apple.

After discussing cables and adaptors with Apple I found that the USB Type A to Lightning Adapter is not USB 3. Apple directed me to their Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter with Charging Port. Very pricey, so I ordered a comparable one on Amazon. I’ll let you know if it works.

2 Likes

Please do let us know how it works.

I’m a Mac and iPhone user, too. Changing iPhone name and password to something such trivial is not acceptable. But besides that the scanner doesn’t connect to my iPhone. Wifi is off, iPhone name is POP and password is 12345678.

Hi, @jburk, sorry, please make the Wi-Fi as on but Not Connected and try again. (We will improve our users’ manual soon)

got my Pop yesterday… had to go online to find something that told me the odd metallic thing in a bag was a jump drive with only windows support on it… found this forum and used the tricks to get it to connect to my ipad pro 3gen… setup lazy susan and light and scanner… after a few attempts got a decent scan with about 1k frames… converts to mesh… fine… go to export .stl… crash… every time… app doesn’t show up in files app so no idea where it is keeping .stl to get it off the ipad…

waiting with baited breath for the mac OS version and pray my air can handle it…

is there any other alternative program/app that is compatible…?

1 Like

Got Hotspot now connected. I’m looking forware to you update with configurable Wifi on May 20 and of course the Mac version of the software.