Disconnect and IR Camera Issues

Hi @Revopoint-Cassie

Sorry for the delayed response. Wanted to give you an update to what I have found so far.

I used these tools and several websites to get this information. I’ll only list a few to keep this as short as possible.

MakerHawk USB 3.0 Tester(link is very long! should be easy to find)
Usbdeview View any installed/connected USB device on your system
USBview Universal Serial Bus Viewer in Windows - Windows drivers | Microsoft Learn

This is something I copied from the FAQ online.

Why does POP need to use USB 3.0 port?
A: Because the power consumption of POP is 5V 1A, and its minimum required power supply is 4.8V, 800mA. (While the output of 2.0 interface is 5V 500mA, and the output of USB 3.0 is 5V 1A.)

The USB specification for power output from a USB 3.0 slot is 900 mA. I found this information from several sources online.

The pop I’m having a problem with is drawing between 900 mA to a bit over 1A while just plugged in without the Handyscan app open. This is the highest reading we got so far.

00019mAh 0004.70

While testing on Monday with the pop connected to the mobile kit battery the battery lights went from 3 to 2. We had the usb tester connected at the time and saw the amps drop from 970 mA or so to about 550 I think. At that point the IR camera stopped working. The monitor view in Handyscan was solid red. The amps kept dropping till at about 400 mA then the RGB camera froze and we had to disconnect the battery and restart the app.

When we plugged it back into the same battery everything started woking again, but we did switch to a fresh one to continue testing.

Later that day we gained access to another pop scanner. We used that scanner to compare it to ours. When we connected the scanner to the same port on our laptop these are the readings we got. This is with the pop plugged in and Handyscan is not open. It can go a bit higher at times, but not much more.

Pop2 power

This pop was purchased about 2 weeks ago. While connected to our laptop in the same port it never goes above 0.78 mA while plugged in. It also will never get to 900 mA while scanning in the time we tested(about 2-3 hours. This pop also has a higher firmware version(2.1.7.20210708) and ours is 1.7.2.20210515.

There were some other things we noticed in USBview while testing and I’m not sure it matters. In USBview the pop is identified as a USB 2 device with a max power setting of 500 mA. This is the same on both of the pops. It also shows similar information when connected to our Macs.

Pop mac

When connected to a battery or an AC adapter that can supply 1A or higher we don’t have the same disconnect issues we have while connected to the USB 3.0 ports on our laptop. After using another pop and seeing that it’s amps never get as high as ours I feel like something is wrong with ours. If a firmware update will fix it I’m happy to do it. If not then I think we need it replaced. I wouldn’t feel comfortable connecting it to our computers and drawing that much power from the ports. If you need anymore information or testing please let me know.

Thanks for your help!