Weird Spiral Scan

This means each feature of the objects need to be at max 8cm distance from each other and constantly in FOV .
It is not the way you thinking of a simple object .

The projector is projecting straight lines on the object , and if the lines have no distortions because of the smooth surface the sensors can’t register the feature point and lose track .

How closer you get with your scanner to the object how more features the object needs to have on the surface , for that reason scanning bigger object is better using Body mode as it requires less tracking points due to large FOV .

The only reason for that is not enough of features on the surface of the object and nothing else .

You can’t use marker points , and in this case , this is the correct option to scan correctly this type of objects .

You have alternate option like add some addition objects on top that can be removed after scanning and do not affect your object .

Scan partial scans and do not go for the whole big object at once as that is not the way of scanning that will deliver what you expecting .

Even a bare partial scan leads to the spirals, or starting out with at a curved feature leads to a spiral.
I’ll try the object layering but I’m not feeling too optimistic with what I’m throwing and testing the Range with.

It’s not working as nicely as a high resolution photogrammetry.

Photogrammetry is a totally different technique, you don’t take pictures with Range ,you capture the difference in the distortions of the pattern projected on the surface using infrared light , no distortions no tracking . ,And if you can’t do anything on your side to make it works , it will not works , and that have nothing to do with Range or the software but with the object and technology you trying to scan with .

You just do what is best for you @Goon

I am just waiting for delivery of some small magnets for my cubes, then I will try to scan the large pump housing again.
We had a Creaform Go!SCAN SPARK at my last workplace, it had exactly the same problems and nearly always needed markers to scan properly. It also needed a very expensive high spec Laptop to run and very expensive software.
I think the Range is a great deal :slight_smile:
For getting rid of the cubes in the scan i will probably use CloudCompare (free).
It has a function called Virtual Broom which is great for cleaning pointclouds.

3 Likes

Right, that’s what I’m curious at what applications I can do for the range that won’t be as limited as other instruments I have.

What was again that you trying to scan with ? A car sign ?

Any picture ? Size ?

I’ll be printing some of these soon! This is great! Are these marker cubes located somewhere to download?

Not really , I made my own time ago in Zbrush

You need to drop in a small magnet while printing

You can print also white color to add to surface as an extra feature …

Still 3D printing …
Modelled in Rhino 3D.
Would plain white with no stickers be better for Feature scanning ?

I’d say yes, I have black ones and they’re not all that useful because the software mistakes the close points for each other. It’s better to use them as “feature” tracking help (and black ones don’t work then for obvious reason).

Definitely, not need markers if you use white in Feature mode .

so the final scan/mesh will not be flat, any suggestion for after finetune?

You just cut out the cubes out and close the holes using plane or curved mode , if you are not familiar with 3D modeling , in most cases the scans are used for reference to build a model based on it , not matters it is hard edge models or organic models , the scans are not usable for anything else but references anyway , unless of course you want to print it or for online showcase . But we talking here more about scanning for references .

2 Likes

Here is another version of my markers,
I have added some small (20mm) suction cups for non magnetic surfaces.
Mike.

1 Like