Revoscan Question

Hi there,
I have a question about Revoscan and Texturing.
Is it possible to export the processed mesh, fix it/ sculpt it and assign propper UV’s, and import it back into Revoscan to reassign the Texture?
Similar to Photogrammetry Software?
Is it possible to access the full 48Mp Texturs which Miraco is recording while scanning?

Thanks,
Gerrit

Following. @PUTV might be the best one to answer this question.

hi! this might answer some of that. except of course Miraco’s texture qulity is much better than what other revopoint scanners are capable of.

Hey Ivan,
may not exactly what I wanted, but it is a nice way to do it. :slight_smile:

I pledged for the Miraco Pro, but currently I only have an Einstar.
On the Einstar the Texture is not really usable. First scanning with the Einstar, and after this I scanned again with Photogrammetry, but very rough to just have the camera positions and Object translation.
I Exported the Mesh from the Einstar, fixed it and applied proper UV.
Imported the rough Geometry from the Photogrammetry and translated the proper scan to the rough Geometry.
Import the repositioned Geometry into the photogrammetry software and reprojected the Textures back to new UV’s. This way, I get up to 32K Textures.

When I can shorten this Path by importing the fixed Scan back into Revoscan and reproject the texture, that would be cool. I could alternatively bake textures, but with this I already loose to mutsh detail.

Gerrit

1 Like

Hi @GerritCorsmeyer

No you can’t do that , the texturing is linked to each frame in Revo Scan 5 and will produce own texture mapping UVs

After you scanned with Miraco you can access the .IMG files from the cache folder , after that you need to change the color channels of the images if you want to use them for other stuff like photogrammetry.

@X3msnake have script that can convert the image date to jpg with one click so you can use it in Photogrammetry if you need

2 Likes

Yes, it is possible, a bit convoluted but possible

You have to get the fuse_mesh_rgb.ply from the project/data folder but you cannot move the model origin.

Once you fix the model and apply UVs you overwrite the model with this modified one, open the project in revopoint (only after overwriting the model) and calculate the texture.

If you move the origin in any way you get this

See more here:

Alternative you can simply export a high detail textured model/mesh from revopoint, modify and cleanup you mesh and use xNormal (free software) to bake the high quality model/textures into your won uvmapped cleanup model

See how here:

To generate photogrametry from the scan RGB images you can us Revoscan Player

1 Like

It is possible but not inside Revo Scan 5 , that was the question in first place …

So why you saying it is possible ? It is confusing .

you can’t create mesh with new UVs and re texture it inside Revo Scan 5 because RS5 generate a new mesh with new UVs each time you generate new textures .

You can edit your mesh and replace it before generating textures … but the UVs will be generated by RevoScan5 and overwrite the one you make .

You can as well bake your textures outside Revo Scan but that was not related to the question .

What @GerritCorsmeyer wanna do is scan with RS5 and texture it using photogrammetry with own custom UVs for that reason he needs your script to convert faster the needed images .

The workflows go like that

You load the images from Miraco into Photogrammetry application, you generate the simple model , then you align the scan with the simple model using Cloud Compare , create custom UVs and replace it in the photogrammetry software and re texture it again to have perfect scan and textures …

That what it is about …

Revi Scan 5 can’t re texture custom meshes with custom UVs … only custom meshes as long the original position was not changed and the mesh include normals .

Pretty sure it does not override the uvs if there are UVs already present, at least back in RS version during POP3 beta I was able to do that, could have changed since then because it is more of a hack and not a orthodox method.

Also RS does not generate a new mesh when you hit texture, it makes a copy of fuse_mesh_rgb.ply on the scan folder to apply texture and generate UVs if none are present (It was like this at one point at least, if my memory is not playing tricks on me)

I will repeat the processI used back then and reconfirm id it works or not tomorrow

It override it since it creates a new textured mesh with a new UVs with smooth normals , based on the meshed model , so creating a ply files with UVs is pointless.
Old Revo Scan 4 software created OBJ what supported UVs … but no more .

It create a new mesh based on the meshed mesh , and Miraco create also new mesh with simplified version of the original … that does not make difference as both version have different extended format anyway … copy or create don’t change the fact that one only support color per vertex other only UVs

but the point is that you can’t replace the meshed mesh with a new mesh that include UVs as it will be pointless .The software still generate own UVs anyway regardless so that is not a debate .

Old RS do not support any projects from Miraco so what’s the point …

X3msnake & PUTV thanks for the input, and go beyond the Borders of my question. I love that.
I did not knew that Revoscan has a open Dataset with standard formats, as I still dont have a sample Dataset to play with.

To just use the IMG Files are great, cause I can use it for Photogrammetry. I think Revopint did a good job here and are not downsampling the 48Mp Texturs. But I can add several 200Mp RAW Photos to the Project and exclude the IMG files for Texture generation. This way I should get a decent resolution for the Texturs. It is great to have access to these files.

To change the PLY file under the Hood would be great, but on the other hand I can not add the 200Mp photos to the Project. At least, if it still works, have a good UV Layout.

Is there a source for downloading some sample Datasets/ Revoscan Project of each Revopoint Scanner just to play with?
As I currently don’t have the Miraco, it is just theory.
Maybe I should come back to the thred when I actually hold my Miraco in the Hands, hopefully in December.

In general i am happy that in this Forum people really understand my request. On the shining3d Forum I got ask why I should go for photogrammetry when I already have a 3D Scanner.

Gerrit

1 Like

Well then, there You have it, A Feature Request needing to happen.

Seems silly to me they change that imho

@Revopoint-Cassie @Revopoint-Jane

Make RS respect the UV on a model if it already exists, it is a simple change and even if it never enters the officiall workflow and gets documented would make a great hidden feature.

@GerritCorsmeyer

So it seems currently due to these changes i was unaware, the best approach to avoid long process time with photogrametry and dealing with model alignment is:

• In RS Project textures into the high poly model and export it
  • Use the 3d software of your choice to align to planes, make a copy, and build a good mesh with uvs (maybe using instant meshes to speed up process)
  • Use xNormals to auto bake the high poly details (if u want) to normal maps and textures, to your newly created mesh

If i understand correctly you are suggesting changing the Miraco photos with your own? (i presume taken with a slr camera)

That will not work no matter how hacky we wish to get and You will have to go the photogrametry/ align models/ bake textures way

reason why this will not work is the images are tied to the depth maps as Revopoint scanners use structured light and all cameras are callibrated to each other

I can share with you some scan source of the older scanner lines but not MIRACO as we betas are still on NDA

I do agree , I would love to use own UVs as well … I did tried everything yesterday even use the ply with UVs coordinates but it was overwritten , only the mesh with new remeshed topology was used what gives better results , but the UVs was overwritten.

1 Like

Hi Geritt,

You can only add your own images to the project if you have them precisely aligned with the one from the project itself , it includes the focal length and position , plus proper color channel and in image data format .IMG , the resolution don’t matters . I was there , I tried it all in the latest 2 years . You can remesh your mesh before texturing and replace it for better topology but the textures will be still as good as your original scanned frames .

The project Images are linked to the position of the frames , we would need an AI algorithms to recognize the new images , what is all possible.

I tried the workflow you was talking about and it working great in a photogrammetry program . RS5 have still lots of room for improvements .

1 Like

My Workflow is currently to pipe the scan through Houdini, generate a VDM from Polygons with very small Voxel size, generate a Adaptiv Mesh from VDM, autoseam by curvature, UV Layout, Output Curvature, AO, Normals and Height. If I need I can do some VEX for the Vertex Colors if I already have a proper Textue.
After this, I adaptivly decimate the Mesh in 4 different resolutions from High Polycount to Low with respect of the UV and Seams and Curvature.

For the Texture Process I use Substance Designer, mix the Geometry normals with the AI Normals from Substance.
For Metallnes and Roughness I use a Polarized Filter in front of the Lens, with the difference of Polarized photo and non Polarized photo I get an approximate Roughness.

Im not trying to replace Miracos Images cause I dont knew Camera Positions of each frame Miraco is recording.
I dont think the Miraco is recording exact Camera Positions internaly. The Gyro has an approximate Position, but it is just for Point Cloud alignment for each Frame.

Whatever when I can pass Miracos IMG files through Photogrammetry, I knew the World Position of each Frame taken. By adding my 200Mp Photos to the Photogrammetry process, and turning Off all IMG from Miraco for Texture generation, the texture is only generated with my 200Mp photos.
For shure this only works without Turntable, otherwise you have to Mask every Frame. To be clear, not in RS, just in Photogrammetry.

@X3msnake
If you can Officially share some RS Project Data would be really great. My Miraco is coming in December, i think i still can wait a view weeks :slight_smile:

Gerrit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure I will drop some files on my INSPIRE showcase tomorrow and put a link here for you

1 Like

I am looking for a way that is placing uv islands more proper. - photogrammetry programs does normalize scale of uv islands with scale of real size of mesh. revopoint miraco doesn’t use any normalization. If anyone find a way to improve texture quality please let me know.

You can only do that after in other programs like Blender or Zbrush and move the color data to your custom UVs as I do .
There is lots of possibilities but in Revo Scan it is all what it is .

It is not Photogrammetry based , it is a very old common code that was used for the mapping and it not really improved since year 2000 at all …

What I want in Revo Scan us to have different type of resolutions for the color data , because it is ok to have 4K textures for a small item but not for a full body texture what requires much more space to keep the quality , in most cases I just use the color per vertex and transfer it to my own UV for best results possible or te texture it manually for the more pro results .

Hello. Thank you for quick answer. 16m verticles object does 4096x4096 texture do you have any examples I can see as solid base color?

16 millions points 4000x4000
When we talk about color per vertex in Revo Scan

Texture mapping works a little different in Revo Scan .

Not much under my hand as I am on my phone right now

Range 2 , color per vertex & textures