Texture Merged Scans

Hi, I am relatively new to 3D scanning and I just downloaded the new revo scan 5 beta version for my pop 2. Now i scanned a few scans of the same model and merged them, but after merging i can only mesh construct the merged model and not texture it. Does anyone now why this is the case and how i can solve this?

1 Like

At this moment it is impossible to create textures after the scans are merged .

I would suggest you use the RGB data from the merged scan and convert it to textures using other programs like Mesh mixer or Zbrush or Blender .

That are all options you have at this point .

2 Likes

Then I will try doing that, thanks!

1 Like

I really hope the texturing of merged objects will be available in the future … crossing my fingers :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

+1 for merged texture support, that would be great.

4 Likes

Yeah, that just made all my partial scans basically invalid. Would be a very good feature

2 Likes

I am surprised that there is not remapping function after merging the scans , because there is remapping function with a single scan .
And since the project have all access to the needed data and files in their folder it should be not big issue to add the function , it may take much longer time to remapping the merged scans compared to a single scan but always better than nothing .

Even an RGB to Color textures converter function would be already better than nothing as you would get at least automatic UVs and pretty good color reference textures .

Personally I am getting around 7x7 K color textures from the merged scans from RS5 what is almost double the size than regular textures created on a single scan when converting RGB to Textures in Zbrush . But if you want to keep the RGb data at maximum , you need to fuse it and mesh at the highest quality to preserve as much points as possible, since each point represents a color pixel .
More points, higher texture resolution .

2 Likes

Yeah, I really hope they will add that. But since it ist a Beta Version now maybe we will see it in the full Release?

2 Likes

Propably in the future evolution of the software , they just started after all .

1 Like

I created a forum account just to like this post.

2 Likes

Thank you @cgklutts and welcome to the forum Chris !
I am bugging the team on this subject for some while now , hopefully sooner than later .
Remapping multiple scans would need a strong algorithms and with PC it would take forever to accomplish it and consume huge amounts of RAM , there is no other option than using GPU for texturing and remapping of multiple scans to have it done the fastest way , however it would require a good graphic card with lots of VRAM what can render most of laptops not usable anymore for that function . Bitter sweet situation .
Texturing at this moment consume the most resources and time for processing , the way it is now it would propably take at least 2 hours to complete the task with multiple scans , and how more scans you merge how longer it would be .
The only solution here I see is converting RGP color per vertex to Textures function as it could take couple of seconds to be complete as I do it this way now using other program .

This is quite disappointing, not being able to create and export textures after merging, and I really hope this can be added to the software soon. I recently purchased the Mini, after much consideration, with hopes of scanning horse neck bones for research. They fit into the size range for the Mini and I was impressed with the details captured. But I also need to display the 3D files with the natural coloration of the bones, not simulated.
You mentioned “using the RGB data from the merged scan and convert it to textures using other programs” (I have Blender and MeshLab). Would doing this produce the natural colors captured during the scan? might you be able to point me to a link for instructions on how to do that? Thank you.

1 Like

Please search YouTube for ( Convert RGB color per vertex to textures in Blender )
You can do that with Blender as well because I saw people doing it .

I only use Zbrush and I made tutorial about here

3 Likes