Revo STudio and textures

Well I just tried it but it didn’t work. I made a copy of the original fuse.ply before I imported it to Studio. I then did some changes to the model, exported and overwrote the fuse.ply and opened the corresponding project but the model still looks like before the changes.

1 Like

That is interesting , how ? it can’t generate new fuse.ply as it is written in stone the moment you fused it in Revo Scan and can’t be unfussed to generate new fuse.ply unless you opened it in Revo Scan again and not used the batch converter. The batch converter generates meshes from the already fused point cloud fuse.ply

I need to check it out , maybe things changed with the last software updates I need to check .

Maybe the preview thumbnail is still the old one ? did you actually generated mesh and textures and exported and then checked ? using batch converter ?

1 Like

Hmm well, I didn’t use the batch converter. Neither do I know what it does nor do I know how it works. Can you explain it to me?

Open Revo Scan
your scanner don’t have to be connected
Under Model List you will find your projects
and when you select one of the projects you will see in the right low corner a batch processing button
Screenshot 2022-07-13 140914

after you click the batch processing button
a new dialog window will open with options as you had before in Revo Scan

Batch processing is much faster than fusing and generating meshes in real time in Revo Scan , it is intend to fuse, mesh and texture scan data that was not fused, meshed or textured in Revo Scan scanning session , or if you did not finished the complete process and just fused but not meshed or created new textures .

I hope it make sense ?

2 Likes

First of all I want to thank you for explaining everything to me! I really appreciate your help!

I did some tests. I tried the Batch Processing twice, one with keeping the PLY files which were made before and another one after deleting all PLY files except the fuse.ply. For the second one I’ve exported the new model from Studio and did overwrite the existing fuse.ply but I still have the issue that I get shown the old model not only in Revo Scan but also in Blender. This is really confusing.

Another issue I’ve encountered by using the Batch Processing is that I then can’t export the model as OBJ

I will check everything and let you know the exact process again …

Last time it worked just fine , I hope not another bug , you see the actual .ply and .obj files has the same data included , the obj is not simplified version but full data version as .ply , but you should have the option for obj

You more than welcome !

2 Likes

you are right , it exports as .ply only , maybe because there was not textures generated , with textures it was .obj before , so let me check

I’m beginning to understand the Revo software, but in my opinion the workflow is way too complicated and there are definitely some improvements to be made.

No, there are no OBJ files in the folder as you can see in the following picture:

What also confuses me is the fact that the size of mesh_tex.ply is smaller then the fuse.ply but equal to the mesh.ply. Is this normal?

1 Like

In another conversation I told you that I don’t get the texture working in Blender when I use the .ply file. You then told me to export the model as OBJ within Revo Scan and this worked

1 Like

I checked , it is a bug , no mesh obj, not UV, no MTL … gonna add it to the list .

2 Likes

the mesh.ply do not have UVs so textures will not works , a new bug , I mean old bug that come back over and over again , someone need to keep the tracking proper and don’t release software without checking … as you see nobody checked …

1 Like

The fuse files contain a lot of more data that is used for final meshing , mostly junk data , overlapped points and frames that are removed from the point cloud while final meshing process plus the color per vertex data that is removed from the mesh when textures are generated . For that reason smaller size and less points.

1 Like

Okay, so for now I shouldn’t use the Batch Processing and are my scan files now “corrupted” or still intact?

Well yeah, apparently most companies seem to have this issue :sweat_smile:

Ah okay, thanks for the explanation!

nothing is corrupted , you still have original Fuse files and you will be able to recreate it .

you tell me :laughing:

you welcome !

I am leaving in a moment … I hope @JeffLindstrom showing up soon to help you out with the 3D scanning adventure via wifi client mode :grin: … fingers crossed

1 Like

I hope I understood the question and answered it correctly.

I am heading out for some cultural edification and will not be back for 8-9 hours.

1 Like

The question is, how to connect POP2 to PC via WiFi that do not :no_entry_sign: interrupts the PC LAN internet connection .

@Bango tried the WiFi adapter already, but the moment he used it , the lan internet was down .
He want to keep the LAN internet ON while the POP2 is connected wirelessly.

That is all about .

I was thinking your connection method via router can avoid the interuption of the PC internet via cable ?

2 Likes

@Bango, are you normally connecting your computer to your home router using a built-in WiFi port on your PC?

If so, when you added the USB-WiFi Adapter, did you configure the built-in WiFi as the Hotspot and use the new WiFi Adapter to connect to your home router?

Again, if so, I found a solution on Microsoft.com: reverse the configuration. Use the built-in WiFi to connect to the home router and configure the USB-WiFi Adapter as the Hotspot.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-a-wifi-connection-through-windows-hotspot/224bac3e-d978-46f0-8e0a-cc834e1ebd62

1 Like

Thanks for helping me out but I would suggest to discuss this in the appropriate thread to maintain the overview

PopUpTheVolume’s help is useful to all of us, and let’s all thank him!
Every time someone asks a question, and PopUpTheVolume or another person answers, we all benefit from this valuable information!

2 Likes

Thank you Phil for your kind words … with a little correction
" thank her " :wink:

But that’s ok, as long it helped you one way or another , that already made me content knowing my time did not go to waste.

1 Like