Revo Scan Very Slow

Goodmorning, I recently bought Revopoint Mini and I am trying Revo Scan and Revo Studio software. I made few tests but I noticed that Revo Studio is very slow. In particular when I try to move the point cloud it is very slow and it does not allow me to select points. This way it is unusable for me.
My laptop is very powerfull. Here is the configuration:
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 32.0 GB
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 21H2 64 bit
Graphic Card: NVIDIA Quadro RTX3000
Hard Disk: 1 Tera
All the drivers are udated and I associated GPU to Revo Studio.
If I load the same point cloud in cloud compare and I move the point cloud, it is very fast.

Thanks a lot for help,
Regrads
Stefano

Hi! Are you using this version?

https://forum.revopoint3d.com/t/windows-mac-revo-scan-5-0-5-updated-on-04-28-2023/20788?u=ivan

1 Like

It is slightly better but there is still a big delay in manipulating point clouds so it is unusable

:confused: I wonder how big you file is.
RevoScan and cloud compare, which I use both, too, are about same responsive for my files.

1 Like

for me it is not the same…cloud compare is responsive, revoscan not…the file is quite big but I do not undersatnd why cloud compare and other software (meshlab) go fast. If you want I can send you the file so you can try.

Yes, for sure! I will PM you!

I am sending you the file via wetransfer

1 Like

here is the link:
https://we.tl/t-RxSsAfeXIW

Hi @stroccel

this point cloud is over 49 millions points , heavily over scanned with a lot of overlapped frames that did not even fused , I tested it in Cloud Compare and the editing get more choppy than in Revo Scan 5 to clean all the junk frames from it .
And yes don’t even try to edit it in Revo Studio , it is much too big for Revo Studio .

I suggest you rescan your model in Revo Scan 5 , scan each angle separately as that new program allows you to have multiple scans in one project , you will get 3-4 angles of the scanned models , then you clean them one by one after fusing , including overlapped frames with Overlapping Detection , then you clean isolated points . After each section is cleaned , you can merge them into one model , you will have better quality and accuracy and the job done in no time .
It would make your work more efficient and faster .

You can still clean the current model but you need get rid first of the overlapped frames , if you use Overlapping detection and remove Isolate points automatic , you don;t have to even select manually one point to delete it , it will clean up nicely .
After that you can mesh it and use smooth mesh option that has denoiser function only so will not remove details .

I cleaned the point cloud in Revo Scan 5, it removed over 27 millions of unused overlapped points , ending in a clean 22 milion points point cloud . Still too dense for that kind of model , I believe only 1-2 millions of points going to be used for meshing it.

Anyway it will take some time , propably around 20 min to clean it up manually using Overlap detection and Isolation before it can be meshed .
After I cleaned the point cloud it took 2 second to select the points using the manual editing tools , very smooth .

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! This scan was the second one for me. I understand that overlapping scans are not good, so I will try to re scan it with revoscan 5 according to your hints.

Regards
Stefano

1 Like

You welcome Stefano ,

Just go for easy 360 degrees scans, one rotation 360 frames stop, start new scan change angle 360 degrees stop , next angle .

This way you will avoid overlapped frames keeping details intact .
Just clean each scan before merging them .
Then after merging the point cloud you can run one more time overlap detection to remove what is not needed from the process .
How cleaner the point cloud how smoother the mesh will be .

What to avoid is smoothing the point cloud while editing , as it will change the pitch point resolution , you don’t want that .

I know RS5 is new to you , so if you run in troubles just reply back .

1 Like

Dear PopUp,

I tried to redo the scan according to your suggestion on the same subject. The problem is that the statue is 154mm tall and I have to change height position of the scanner and redo the 360° revolution. If I change the height too much the software loses tracking so I have to decrease scanner height slightly and that cause the overlap. In any case even if it is quite unpossible to manipulate the point cloud, the automatic mesh generation is good and at the end of the process the model is not too heavy and the mesh can be moved.

1 Like

Why not scanning with different angles as different(!) scans until you have it all and merge them later in Revoscan or cloud compare?

1 Like

If you do this way you will always get some overlapping , nothing you can do about , sometimes I do too but it cost me an extra time for cleaning later , especially with models I cant move or are heavy to be placed on turntable .

But if you can place your model on turntable , scan different angles , like Ivan just suggested , scan head-torso , clean overlapping , start new scan move scanner lower, scan legs and lower part. etc… clean etc etc …
then merge them all after cleaning , this way you will get propably the lowest size possible and good accuracy .

I know scanning with MINI is tricky , since it was made for scanning small objects and the distance of 10 cm do not fit the whole object at once …

I will suggest you practice with it , and see what you get from different workflows , after all you need to find the workflow that fits you well so you have also fun with it and less frustrations .

there are many ways but all of them going to the right solution .

Once we have back the batch processing in RS5, you can just scan they way you like and let the batch process it for you automatic … but we have to wait a little longer for that .

1 Like

Dear all, that way works! I was able to have a very light and detailed model even if the process takes more time. Anyway I did not well understood the minimum distance when I clean the overlaps in each acquisition before merging. I saw that software suggests a value but it is different from a scanning to another. Do I have to keep the same value for all the scans?

I am learning to use Revopoint Mini because for a project my final goal is to generate a quite accurate 3D CAD model of the frame of a drone like Phantom 4. I know that Mini is for small object but I choose it for accuracy and versatily because for other project I have to scan little object. My further step will be to learn scanning by hand in order to get the Phantom 4 frame. Could you suggest tutorials or rules about scanning large objects with Mini?

Thanks lot and regards
Stefano

Don’t change the minimum distance when cleaning overlaps , it is adjusted automatic each time you detect and apply , changing it will remove the wrong layers , leave it the way it is , same for lose points .

Not really because it was designed to scan very small objects like dental and jewelry and not really for bigger objects than 10cm due to very small FOV frame .
Unless you print your scans at 0.02mm you don’t need that resolution .

For example you scanned your frame at 0.02mm pitch point and then later you print it at 0.1mm with your printer , then the results would be the same as if you used POP2 or Range .

Unless you need it for a reference to build on top a cad model , then you will profit from .

But scanning with that small FOV big objects will be challenging, you need lots of features or lots of markers to complete the task .

You can place additional elements around your scanned object to keep tracking , you can remove it later manually.

Is it possible? Yes , but not without challenge and lots of time trying .

Glad to hear you succeeded, now you know how to scan professionally, take slightly longer but the results are perfect .

This is the way …

1 Like

Do you think Revopoint POP2 is more suitable to do that work? I could buy it also and use it for larger objects. Does the scanning with POP2 by hand work well or I have to cope with a lot of tracking issues as with Mini?
Thanks a lot
Regards
Stefano

Hi Stefano , no matter what structured light scanner you use you need always cope with tracking , the scanner needs features to keep tracking , without it it can’t perform the task and tgat is not the scanner issue but the object .

For the type of objects like the one you scanned last time I would use my POP2 , how bigger the scanner FOV hoe less dense features it needs , for example Range need each feature to be 8 cm apart , meaning objects with less features can be scanned easier , then POP2 needs 4 cm distance between features and MINI little less than that .

How bigger the FOV how lower the details will be scanning small objects .

I would say , wait a little bit and practice with MINI more , it will give you better understanding before you switch to a new device .

Dear PopUp,

I am gaining experience with MINI according to your suggestions. I am scanning tha frame of a drone and, due to geometry and colour, I am using markers and Spray. I put the markers and than spray. I edit various point cloud as you suggeted me (overlap, smooth and isolate) and than merge them using markers. Then mesh with fill hole

and smooth again. As you see from the attached pictures the result is quite good but there are still bumps where markers are. I try to smooth again the mesh using a 3D sculping software (Nomad Sculpt) but the bumps are still present. Is there something wrong in the procedure I use? Thanks a lot

Hi Stefano , no you did everything right , it is a pain to fix the markers as it always creates the scars on the model surface , I would suggest you try a different method while scanning and skip markers on very small objects like that , you would profit more if you add just some elements , print some small cubes and place it around the scanned object , it will helps while tracking , or as @X3msnake suggesting use crumbled paper sheet bellow the scanned object , make sure you elevate the objects slightly so it fint touch the paper … you will get perfect results as well without the need of editing …

After scanning fuse the scan in Advanced mode at 0.08mm and you get s perfect copy .

There is upcoming new feature in RS5 5.3 that will handle the markers holes automatic while fusing .

You can use smaller reflective markers with Mini as well ,don’t have to be the big standard 6mm .

For fixing the surface you have right now , I would use smooth brush in Zbrush called Smooth picks , it smooth only the top deformations , I am not familiar with your editing software .
Maybe it would be great if you can remesh your scan to quads , it would be much easier to edit and smooth out .

You still have other options , so if your time allows , try again , you will save time on editing …

1 Like