REMOVING NOISE!

I found that we can export the .ply cloud and import it into Cloud Compare, a free open source 3D point cloud and mesh processing software.
This software is capable of computing geometry features such as “roughness”, “planarity”, and “surface variation”. And make them available in a form of “Scalar Fields” ( like an histogram ), then you can select point clouds based on that. And simply removing those.

This is an example on “planarity” but we can achieve similar results with source variation or roughness.

Why is this great? because CC is OPEN SOURCE… so the code is open… the solution is there.
Until the guys at revopoint can bring this to RS5 we can use this free software to clean some scans.

8 Likes

After importing it back. Check how almost 99% of the noise dissapeared from the cavities where it appeared on the first place. This is a game changer.

3 Likes

thank-you-meme-vobss-30

WOW, so many useful tools from within CC, didn´t know about that one! THX FOR SHARING! Yes, please Revopoint, integrate these into RevoScan! ( But I am sure they will at some point, just being busy with all the other stuff. I hope those guys get some sleep! :sweat_smile: )

2 Likes

Also usefull:

Opensource also has license terms

But they sure can base ideas :wink:

2 Likes

Can you provide us with a step-by-step manual for those who are not familiar with cc?

Open the point cloud in CloudCompare
Select it and then go to Tools → Other → Compute Geometric Features
Select Roughness from the menu and hit OK
In the data window to the left, scroll down until you see SF display params
Drag the handles around until you have the bulk of your scn selected (the pain window will show what is selected in grey)
When you are happy that you have the right data, select Edit → Scalar Fields → Filter by Value
Click “Split” and your point cloud will be seperated in to two clouds. One with the data you want and the other with the data you don’t. Export the data you want as a PLY and import in to Revoscan for meshing.

1 Like

I do everything that @Rilot (Andrew) said, and I also compute everything, so I could have different options, then when I go back to RS5 I remove isolated again, and that removes the remaining points.
Cheers!

2 Likes

This very useful because I was doing some night scans outside with the Pop3 and the results are good but noisy.

Thank you for that Rilot! Very helpful!

This is really useful to know thank you.

But this refers to a modification of CloudCompare, that doesn’t mean that you can’t look at the code and integrate it into your program. In the end it is mathematics and fortunately it is not licensed.

Revopoint can integrate this into its software, but unfortunately development is rather slow. Nevertheless, the software is getting better and better, but slowly.

Overlapped points and lose points function is just that , it is just not perfected yet , Advanced mode algorithms using this type of functions already and much better before even the final fusing .

But sometimes when you scan things the wrong way, or the wrong surfaces the raw data is too bad to be handled at full capacity .

The only time I have to use CC , when I scan very difficult materials where I want to preserve the color data … other way I just use 3D spray and go with my day .
It is better to just scan it proper than fixing bad scanning results .

@SphaeroX the dev team is not slow , they doing a lot of work on a daily basis, and not just the software .
RS5 is very young software and the improvements and option they add in the last year are great … now imagine the software in next 5 years … to compare to the rest of more established software .
After all RS5 is point cloud editing software and not 3D modeling software , the company can’t just go and take codes from others , no matter license free or not , Revopoint developing their own stuff and establish their own brand , you can’t do that by borrowing other people work and make money on it …not fair and unethical .

2 Likes