Range Unboxing and First Impressions

RANGE on Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2125914059/revopoint-range-big-scans-big-detail?ref=1t1t92

Unbox Video:

I recently received Range 3D scanner and I’d like to share with you the unboxing and my first impressions of this latest model from Revopoint.

You’ll notice the typical sturdy box the Range is packaged in to protect it from damage; simple but attractive graphics on a nice white background.

Inside, we find the Range and its accessories neatly packed in black high-density foam.

The box is sturdy enough to reuse for carrying the scanner and its accessories safely from place to place without damage.

The warranty/ QC inspection card is the first item on top, assuring you that they are proud of their product and back it with a one-year warranty.

This is the packet with handy little additions to the hardware itself.

These are the same items that have been supplied with all Revopoint models since the original POP. They want to make sure you’re able to get a decent scan from the beginning, so they include these little ‘helpers’.

First is the small strip of blue tack adhesive. This can be used to hold your scan subject in a fixed position due to its sticky nature and it can also be used as temporary markers placed around your subject to help the scanner track properly.

And we have marker dots for the ‘marker mode’ of the scanner. Markers are used to help the scanner maintain tracking when scanning feature-poor subjects, sometimes along with scanning spray or ‘developer’.

And lastly, the black plastic ‘drape’ for blocking out unwanted objects within the view of the scanner. This works quite well in situations where there are objects or surfaces within the view of the scanner; it can’t see black, so very dark objects scan poorly if at all. Use it to hide what you don’t want included in your scan.

This USB-A to USB-C adapter will allow connection of the scanner to devices with a USB-C port. A good way to be certain there is enough power available from your PC or laptop to adequately supply the scanner.

This is the Micro-B USB to USB-A cable for the scanner itself. It has nice easy-to-use security screws to keep it firmly attached to the unit.

And below is the mobile adapter cable for use on-the-go. This splits the output and power wiring to allow use of a separate power supply such as a battery/handle or power bank to supply the scanner apart from the phone or other device it’s connected to. Nice security screws on this one as well.

The included tripod/handle is useful for hand-held scanning or turntable use with fixed/adjustable scanner position.

The quick-connect adapter swivels and the shaft extends for maximum flexibility of use.

This is a pretty nice little compact battery handle. Very light weight, USB-C rechargeable. It features a standard male camera mount on top and a female threaded receiver on the bottom. I have two of these and sometimes stack them for a longer handle and 2x the use time.
image image

And the power button is a really handy feature. You can check the state-of-charge quickly without plugging in the scanner. One press to turn on, two quick presses to turn off. And at a weight of only 100 gm, I can hold it with my phone and the scanner for a longer period of time without my arm becoming fatigued. The scanner, phone holder, cable and battery handle weigh 378 gm; add 210 gm for my Galaxy Note 20 and it puts the whole rig at 588 gm total weight.

A cellphone holder/adapter with the quick-connect shoe on top and a standard female threaded receiver in the bottom is included in the bundle.

And of course, the Range itself.

The scanner comes with the brilliantly designed quick-connect male already mounted to the bottom but it is removable for mounting the unit in another configuration using the standard threaded bushing in the body.

The rear of the Range has the Micro-B port, status indicator and start/pause button. I checked the feel of the button right away because all the previous versions were hard for me to operate. This button has a very nice tactile feedback. I like it much better.

This turntable arrived in a separate shipment and I suspect it’s an accessory included in the premium package. It’s quite heavy, which indicates robustness to me.

The power supply for the turntable is rated 24 Volts at 1.0 Amp.
Make sure you don’t plug it into a 12v device by mistake!

The remote control for the turntable has a multitude of features, allowing for total motion control. The speed is divided into 20 fixed settings and adjusts from 34 seconds per rotation to 1 minute and 30 seconds per rotation. This accessory has so many features I don’t have time to explore them all yet.

That’s it for my unboxing and first impressions;

6 Likes