Range calibration issue

I have Revopoint pop2, mini, and recently got my range. Scanning with the range there is a lot of noise in scans. I checked the calibration 3x (with the pop2 calibration target - why doesn’t Range come with one?) and every time it reported this,

I have Revopoint calibration software 1.0.2.31 but can’t get my Range to calibrate. Scanner was showing level in both directions but keeps going between to close / too far / target large dots. I even tried with a tripod.

I can’t find:

• info on how to calibrate the Range (just says it should be accurate for a year in the manual…)
  • what dot target to use (is the one that came with the pop2 ok?)
  • where to download current calibration software (none on the software page.)

Can anyone point me in the right directions for the 3 things above?

**Update, got it to start a calibration but it just keeps looping through the 4 steps.

1 Like

There are not calibration profile for Range , you should not attempt to calibrate it as it can results in damage of your device .

Neither the software or calibration board is ready for Range .

What noises you are talking about ?
Did you used RS5.0.6 with Range? Did you clean your point clouds before meshing ? Did you used de-noiser after meshing ( smoothing under mesh) did you scanned surfaces that are reflective or beyond the recommend distance of 30-80cm

There is many ways to get noises with Range , but bad calibration is the latest one that would affect it .

Show me the screen shot of the issue and tell me more about your workflow that gives you the result .
I am sure I have a fix for you …

There’s a lot more noise than this typically. This was one of the better attempts. It did clean up pretty well with fused & mesh but scanning noisy stuff can usually make a mess of larger scans.

Its strange that the calibration software sees the Range scanner, says its out of spec, and starts to calibrate it…

Any idea if Revopoint is working on calibration software for the Range? They specifically mention recalibrating after 6mo - 1 year in different places.

Its also odd that they removed the calibration software from the software page.

Yes they working on , the board for calibration would be huge since Range FOV is much bigger than POP2, for that reason please do not attempt calibrations with a board that was made specific for POP2 only , each device needs own calibration board .

The image you showing looks like frame cells and not fused point cloud , the point cloud need to be cleaned using Overlapping Detection and Isolated points after .
Revo Scan 5 don’t do automatic cleaning ( unless you use Auto function ) but the quality of that are below the desire results so I would not do that .

Make sure you stay in the Excellent distance while scanning in Feature or Body mode , crossing the line to too far may results in less data to be collected.

Please fuse the frame cells and show me the fused results ( not meshed ) . Frame cells can be messy sometimes but it don’t reflect the final fused point cloud ( the editable part of the process )

What else can create noise is the material , if it reflect and scatter the infrared light , it will confuse the sensors .
So avoid anything that can reflect light around your scanned object or the object itself need to be prepared for best results .

After you fuse the frame cells at 0.1mm , go to Cloud Point editing and apply the first option you have like 3-5 times without changing the settings , and after that go to the last option in that tab to clean lose points once , then you will be ready to cut off the parts you don’t want before meshing …

However because of the nature of your scanned object , I would create couple of angles first and after fusing and cleaning , I would merge them together… and then mesh it … there is lots of details that need to be capture at various angles and not trying to get it all at once , as it will result in a mess when you over scanning the same area multiple times .

Use Body mode first to capture quick scan , then use Feature mode to capture the detailed parts at a different angles … it is not quick task with what you got there but I saw great results from other users .

From reading your reply I believe it is reflective light causing these artifacts in my scans. I think the larger scan view is seeing a bunch more artifacts from reflection than I’m used to with their other scanners.

Thanks for all of the other extremely helpful info as well! I wasted a bunch of time trying to calibrate. I’m glad i didn’t screw it up.

I have found the new (V5) format tough to use for post scan cleanup. I know it should be the same as revo studio…I probably just need to learn where things are now and what the wording means for different levels of functions. I still prefer using revo studio over V5.

I wish they would make the right side features more of a toolbar that you can toggle through different modes. I use Solidworks, i think that’s a good reference for software / toolbar layout that could work well here.

1 Like

Hi @jrbe

RS5 was made specific for use with Range , the whole point they created it , using Range with older version for scanning could create not so desired results .

The workflow is easy , after you scanned it , move to Edit Tab , start fusing first at 0.1mm , after fusing Point cloud editing , Clean Overlapped points without changing setting , detect and apply as many time until you see no red points .
After that move to clean the lose points , it will clean any point that is not attached to the main scan .

After that you can edit like cut parts and move to Meshing …

After meshing move to Mesh/ Smoothing and without changing the settings apply 1 or 2 time until you see desired result .

It is actually really simple workflow , the tabs may be arranged weird , but the functions works better than Revo Studio

Revo Studio is too slow for my liking, it takes forever to clean the scan . The functions are almost the same , just different terminology .

If the surface is reflective then yes , I think it would be great if you just scan a white bottle of a milk the galon one or something similar in color or size , then fuse it and show me before cleaning .
Then I can see the surface and tell you more .

Any update on being able to calibrate a range scanner?

Hi @jrbe the calibration of Range is supported already , the problem only there are not yet calibration boards available in the store , since Range requires very big boards , hopefully it will not take long from now , since the calibration software just arrived in RS5 …