RANGE 3D Scanner l PUTV Showcase Thread

Thanks Ivan , I will , I need to make small tutor about that

3 Likes

TIAšŸ™

thank-you-yoda-memes

1 Like

Very impressive thread, @PUTV ! I definitely need more practice when it comes to human scans. Canā€™t wait for your CloucCompare tutorial as well.

I especially like the fact that you get details in tricky areas, such as the area between the arms and body.

If Iā€™m not mistaken you havenā€™t posted any textured scan: have you experimented with this? If so, could you share some of your results?

1 Like

Hi @shadows44
Thank you , I did not meshed using Cloud Compare , I used Batch processing in Revo Scan for my full body scans .

I only meshed the tree in Cloud Compare as I donā€™t wanted the leaves to be merged into one volume or tur process removing lose points ( the leaves)

I did not scanned yet with textures on big scale , personally I donā€™t need it , but tomorrow I will make test to see how it process on PC .

1 Like

Hi Guys,
here is a small comparison between POP2 and Range as you see the accuracy is not much different considering Range was at 30 cm distance from the object and POP2 at 15 cm

I tried to scan also smaller objects to see the limits

Would I bother scanning that small objects with Range ? not really , just for a test to see its capacity and I was really surprised .

5 Likes

From what you managed to scan I can say that is not a bad replacement for the POP2 in case you donā€™t have it, like in my case, I have the Mini and backed the RANGE and I think I can now scan the full range of items.
What are the downsides of using the RANGE in staid of the POP2? I see that it came out great even with RANGE.

1 Like

Yes, if you donā€™t have it then yes definitely

Range uses very powerful Infrared projector compared to POP2, so some objects that are small and white and too close can be over exposed .
POP2 have much higher accuracy at 15cm than Range at default 30cm , however Range have better accuracy at 30 cm than POP2 at 25-30 cm . So scanning full body with Range will deliver better results than doing it with POP2.

The little comparison I did above was at 30cm both scans , Range also have smoother surface than POP2 at that distance , as we know how far the object from POP2 how more orange skin effect on the surface , that is not the case with Range thanks to the brand new ootical sensors that was used .

So yes @MedievalKing if you own just MINI and backed Range, you got yourself almost full range .
I was really surprised and did not expected the results with this quality to be honest on so small objects like for example the scanned MINI bust .

I made other simple tests as well , Range also catched a relief of a jeans fabric when almost in too near distance from the fabric , another win here .

I am still in process of capturing very big fragments of a room, as I want to reconstruct fragment of it just for the sake of it . Also over do are color textures and outdoor scanning , hopefully this weekend .

1 Like

That is good to see. Thanks for posting the Pop2 bust. I was wondering how well the Range would fare with smaller objects (not that I plan to scan anything small with it though).

1 Like

Amazing, I think I need to retry.

1 Like

Thanks Andrew, it should be able to pick up slightly smaller volume than the MINI bust around 10mm smaller , but of course how smaller the volume how less fine details it will have for obvious reasons.
Scanning big objects and print them downsized truly showing great details .
I will try to make demo this weekend .

You should try Sam , you should have no problem with minimal 50mm objects , however pay attention that the minimal volume need to be 50x50x50 mm so if the height is 50mm and the wide just 10mm it may lose tracking on the sides where it is just 10mm .
However works fine if the object is 90mm height and 50mm wide
I made 2-3 attempts with the MINI bust to ensure it capture the wide at the smallest size ( changing angle of Range etc )
The minimal volume size that can be scanned is determined by the software vs the projector pattern .
You can go close than ā€œExcellentā€ , too near donā€™t means it will be not scanned correctly , it only indicates that the FOV shrinker to minimum .
However the capacity of the hardware is much greater than presented in the software , it could easy scan at the distance of 15 cm to 2 meters . However the best precision and accuracy is at the distance between 30 to 80 cm ( from 0.1mm to 0.3 mm accuracy with 0.1mm precision )
As we all know 3D structured light scanners donā€™t have the same accuracy at different distances but the precision is the same .

Accuracy : measurements between the original and scanned volume
Precision : the same measurement results with each performed scanning session at the same distance.

2 Likes

From what you replied now Iā€™m even more confident in the range of scan, if the object would have been too small for the Range or to bright at that distance I would anyway use the Mini for it because I like fine detail and if it is white it is even better for the Mini, anything up to a human bust size can be scanned with the Mini in my opinion, I have a decent PC for that.

1 Like

It is perfect combination @MedievalKing
Sometimes big scans have smaller fragments to be captured however there is a catch .
When scanning a huge object like 2 meter, with lots of details and small fragments the point cloud is very optimal and huge in size , usually around 4.5 GB , however meshing each single point from that monster point cloud would create so big mesh files that would be hard to even edit in most software and definitely not in Revo Studio as it donā€™t have that level of meshing , but Cloud compare can at level 11-12 however even at level 13 it still donā€™t use all points from the point cloud , so around 40% is not used and cost around 50 GB of RAM to process .
What I try to say here is that Range hardware can produce very good point cloud but to get out everything it offers , you need very good workstation with lots of RAM .
And when I say monster file I mean it took 2 hours to mesh .

Of course regular processing still deliver great results regardless as you saw in my showcase as beside my tree everything is meshed using Batch processing in RS4
But it can go beyond that .
All the details depends of the scanning distance ( how less variation of distance while scanning how better the accuracy )

So Range is definitely unique and so much different from the rest , and definitely you feel the difference in performance the first moment you use it . And honestly I enjoy it so much .

2 Likes

I have 64GB RAM

1 Like

Thatā€™s wonderful @MedievalKing , you are set up then !

1 Like

That range jobbie reminds me of this geezer.
range

Finally we can see the face behind the infamous posts
What made you waiting for so long ?

Too cute

Your scans are absolute perfection! I just got my Range this morning and am struggling to get a decent scan here. Theyā€™re all full of holes and blobs. Which software version are you using for scanning and for meshing? I have tried scanning with mobile as well as with windows desktop but to no avail. Please help!!

2 Likes

Hi @Kazombie
Range is different than early devices , it was made for scanning big objects in general as much as it can scan 6 cm object I would recommend you pick up something at least 26cm to get used to it first .

The first thing , you need to avoid scanning any backgrounds with your object , it will interrupt the tracking , unless you scan handheld . You can use the range bar to reduce the background capture distance

Keep the Depth Camera settings correct ( right now it donā€™t have auto focus but it is coming in v 5.0.6 .

Try to isolate anything else from the scanned object , take more space area .

Keep the distance at 30cm ( excellent)

I am surprised you get that results as Range is the most easy scan you can ever use .

Please donā€™t use old versions of Revo Scan with Range , Range works optimal only with the latest RS5 version

You can also open a thread and post there your issues and screen shots, I can help you there more with tips and guide you if you need .

I will have some new video this weekend to guide you through the first steps
I will post it here this weekend.

1 Like

Practice makes perfect. Iā€™m still a beginner but not an absolute rookie anymore.

What helped me a lot in the beginning was:
A: the lighting - the light should be much more darker then you think, scanner hates sunlight. Use artificial light.
B: The tempo. Scan faster then you think. (when handheld, donā€™t start at center and keep smooth swift pace).
C: donā€™t overscan. An area scanned 1 time is perfect. Everything more will lower the quality. If you need to scan multiple times 1 service due to overhangs or else, please safe 1 scan and learn to merge (thatā€™s impossible with moving object like humans, animals or volatile plants)
D: scan in an angle, around 35degrees to the object. I donā€™t know why, but itā€™s better.

These ā€œrookie-adviceā€ you donā€™t read a lot. Try it, and if it works spread the word brother.

6 Likes