Range 1st impressions

1st time using RevoScan 5 and Range scanner tonight. Takes a bit of getting used to but always wanted a scan of this seat so I could tx it to my car’s CAD model and test its fit/placement. Largely impossible with the POP 2 and all the other industry scanners I have used, because they need dots or struggle with the black - Range scanned it in under 1 minute, 1st attempt :laughing:

Need to brush up on post processing, might try for a better scan later, prob is the back is black gloss so might not be textured.

Had time to grab a few scans of a cylinder head I also scanned with the Mini a while back.
Mini took about 90mins to get a decent scan (merging etc) - Range did it in under 20 seconds. Whilst it clearly has less quality - but for engineers like me to grab a rough model to show case and test form fit function or framing a CAD model up, that is a huge boost to productivity which is what I was hoping for.

Again speed was the name of the game, for some reason Revoscan still wont let me re-start a scan (wont track) - its like the IR emitter gets turned down very low - the scanner can hardly see anything so something to look into.

When overlaid the 3 are virtually identical BUT the range has a slightly higher overall X value, not by much (~2mm) but it could be the Range is correct and the Mini is slightly out due it it being a merged scan. But overall I was very impressed of the dimensional accuracy & continuity.

Gonna try re-scanning the car body tomorrow, the base scan I did with the POP1 (really) took a long while, if the Range works out, it’s paid for itself in 2 days :laughing:

Oh and mouse wheel reverse on Revoscan when ? :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

Nice. Your finding agree with mine. Range is just eating anything I throw at it for breakfast. I don’t care about minuscule details. Macro accuracy is more important for fitting things together etc.
I think Range may replace my Pop2 as it covers the distance and accuracy I would use Pop2 for. For anything really small I have the Mini.

1 Like

Will you stop it?
I am wetting my pants waiting for my Range to be shipped.

Got a few mins outside to do a scan on the car.
Prob was I can’t stand far enough away to get good coverage !

No dots.
What was really impressive is the accuracy - I compared this with a tracing of sections I had made and they are spot on.

This took me about 6 days to do with the POP1 and it wasnt at all accurate for obvious reasons, 40mins with the Range. Much better results can be had if certain variables are in place (markers, dots and even surface colour / finish)

Gonna make the roll cage design a bit easier.

9 Likes

Quick check before I get the main roll bar formed.
Dimensionally it looks great - how accurate ?

The top of this fibreglass panel is flat over the distance shown in mm.

This panel is machine cut and is straight over this distance.

These are rapid, free hand scans, no dots.

Angles are about +/- 0.05 degrees
Dimensions about +/- 1mm over 1700mm
(verified with digital inspection equipment)

Gonna spend a bit more time getting some pretty scans and dimensional validations later when the interior is restored and primed matt grey but so far it looks very promising.

6 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: My scanning journey with Range

Some progress, another 30mins scanning last night

This is the object :

This is the result in Blender - I do not need a pretty scan, but I think it could be obtained. lots of variable surface finish and depth here to confuse the scanner. Point accuracy is what I am after :

All the individual scans layered, and can be identified in different colours. I aligned these by hand to prevent any distortion. I need +/-2mm over 1 metre accuracy. There are a few issues where the roof meets but they can be corrected, but overall the scans align very very well, I am quite surprised how good this turned out:

Conversion into Solidworks - initial ball park figures were off, the safety cage needs a bit of work to fit, good job it wasn’t sent for manufacture :

Hopefully the tubes will be formed right 1st time. Just have to do the validation now.

Range cost = £500 + 2 hours scan time + 3 hours post processing.
‘Professional’ scanning company wanted £1,000 for this job and a 2 metre work area around the vehicle under cover.

Range has probably already paid for itself in 1 job.

4 Likes

hi mate, wonder what tools and how long did you work, for seperate the model into individual parts :open_mouth:

Nice work Jon!

I plan you use the scanner in a similar fashion, building roll cages for racing vehicles.

Looking forward to more youtube videos!

I loved your video on the engine block.

3 Likes

There are about 5x individual scans in there - I probably binned 8x more because they lost track.
Time etc at the bottom of the post, I use Blender to edit stuff.

1 Like

I can say it works very well, you have to back it up with physical measurements as any engineer should but its surprisingly good. Speed of scanning is the big hitter here, I’ve not used anything anywhere near as fast at getting good results. I usually use scans as a tracing aid (you know for when you accidently put in 320mm instead of 220mm) so having the speed increases productivity so much its actually joyful to use.

Wish I could do more vids - totally stacked up right now, hopefully soon.

3 Likes