Scan of my printed selfie (RS4-Mini) in marker mode with the mini RS 5.0.0.177

Setup

Fusion 0.02

Meshing 6.0 no cleaning

1x F20 C0.5

1 Like

Nice selfie :selfie: I was thinking at first you scanned some fragment of a Roman Statue :wink:

1 Like

Here is the model on Sketchfab

This is what i had to do to capture my dark beard :slight_smile:

This is what the mini picks up without flour dusting

6 Likes

Here is my MINI scans collection on Sketchfab

3 Likes

I know LOL , I have to do the same with my husband’s beard when scanning him with POP2. Thankfully with Range it was not as big problem but I had to trim it a little , he refuse to be powdered since then :joy:

great topic, muito obrigada V !

1 Like

I need to get miself a POP2 because i feel the difference between range and mini is too great, and from what i have been seeing on peoples posts it seems that the Range even tho it is good it does not replace the POP2 in some situations.

I thought that POP would pick up darker colors better than the mini since it is IR like the range

Those IQOS smoking things i had to scan are one example of something that is big enough to call for a larger field of view but already starting to be too small for scanning with the range, even tho it provides enough surface resolution and accuracy for testing designs by reference

1 Like

That is true , there is a hole between MINI and Range and the difference of the accuracy is too big, Range cant replace completely POP2 , I prefer to scan faces with POP2 but body with Range as it gives me better accuracy on full body than POP2 . POP2 is good for objects to max 26cm at around 15-20cm distance .
And I prefer IR over all , I use MINI only on small objects that are mostly color less or sprayed and never for bigger objects than 10 cm

1 Like

Will it be possible to merge a pop2 scan with a range scan?

1 Like

yes you can use either a range or a a pop scan as a reference base to merge more detailed scans or u can use different scan parts and after aligning either normalize the pointcloud with simplify before meshing or cleanup the stitch edges that different densities will create on your mesh editor of choice

2 Likes

Thanks! I presume, the range is preferably used for scanning the hair. Am I correct?

Yes You have better chance with it without the need for pre-processing the model with dry shampoo or cornstarch flour

Here is a example of a range and mini merged scan without other treatment other than a basic general smoothing

2 Likes

I’ve not done this, but it occurs to me that you’ll get the best merge results if you scan with both scanners at the same time. That way, you don’t have to worry about lighting differences, small motion differences, etc. The one issue is that you need two devices to record to.

I’m sure someone makes an adapter bar that attaches to a camera mount and gives you two mounts a few inches apart. Or, if you’ve collected various camera mounts over the years like I have, you might be able to cobble something together that does that. Drill holes in a piece of wood, and put mounts there.

1 Like

Sorry but to me this makes no sense, the scanning distances and tracking requirements are different for each scanner. specially when speaking of IR (Range) vs Blue Light (Mini)

Now if you had multiple mini scanners and some sort of rig sure one could probably capture data from multiple similar scanners and do a instant 360 like with photometry geodesic grids

But even the it would be best to have a API to directly controll the frame capturing

3 Likes

Ah, yeah, sorry. Obvious once you point it out.

But, you could make the “stick” long enough to put the short range camera closer. Paint the stick black, and have a black piece of cardboard as a shield so that the closer camera isn’t picked up.

Sorry. Just thinking out loud. I can imagine situations/subjects where getting both scans in one pass would be useful. Hopefully, food for thought for someone in that sort of situation.

1 Like

Yes that is nesesery to avoid the stitching lines after if you use multiple accuracy scans that have different pitch point

P.S you should normalize any merged scans not matter but we don’t have that option , however the mesh Simplifer is coming back to RS5 soon …

3 Likes

You can’t project infrared patterns at the same time from both scanners on the object , you going to confuse the sensors .
Scanning with both devices at the same time will not works .

3 Likes

smacks forehead Of course. So much for my bright idea.

After posting that, I also realized that you’d need to articulate the thing anyway. Might was well just hold them. But, the interference means it’s just not going to work.

1 Like

Here is a video of the meshing on CC for the selfie i had done at the time.

1 Like

Well done, but I think instead of the POP 2 you might consider for those purposes the new Ranger.