My scanning journey with Range

I’m having difficulties with my range. I’m scanning smaller parts like a patinate door handle from a carrier. Gilded objects and clock parts as a test.

I tried to do a large light up sign that has had difficulties.

So, there’s some learning curve or I’m starting to feel like my instrument is cursed.

Yes it is , your objects still need to have tracking features , Range was made to scan big objects , at least 26/11inches and up at the distance of 30cm .
It can scan smaller objects but the accuracy will be lower and in case your object do not have much of features you need to use markers or add additional elements .
Range is the most simple scanning solution scanner but you still need to keep the rules while scanning and practice .

1 Like

Start from a place of simplicity to complexity - like learning to drive, you don’t hop straight onto the motorway!

I have 15 year experience scanning and reverse engineering, it takes time, patience and experimentation. Try scanning matt objects like cushions or clothing on a clothes hook with the range to start with.

This example is pushing the Range quite a bit, lots of featureless flat surfaces going from one extreme to another in surface reflectivity from gloss white to matt black. It takes practice.

Some success with trying to scan a woven beehive.

2 Likes

Excellent, here you go, great job :+1:t2:

P.S I created your own individual thread here for showcasing your Range scans , since the other was personal thread of @JonHimself
Feel free to post your scans , ideas, questions , trouble shooting here …

1 Like

Thank you Popupthevolume!

1 Like

Here’s the color scan of it.
My Revoscan 5 window looks odd on a stretch software

1 Like

Looking very nice … yes I know to auto resize don’t work quite well yet .

Nice to see a progress here @Goon you are in a good path