Pop3 or mini 2?

Hi everyone, I’m new here and I don’t know if this is the right section, but I couldn’t find it. I would like to buy my first 3D scanner, I don’t use it for work but for hobbies. I would use it above all to scan parts of objects that have broken and are difficult to find, such as, for example, hooks on the door of a washing machine that measure 5cm x 1cm, or parts of toys, or spare parts for power tools, but also to scan telephones or other objects to create fusion supports or cases, etc… or simply objects to replicate of various sizes, therefore starting from small pieces up to a maximum of 25/30cm x 15x20cm. I’ve been doing research on the internet, forums, YouTube for a long time now, I look at the specifications on the official website, I read your forum but I can’t make up my mind. I think, given what I have to do, I should choose the mini 2 or the pop 3, but I can’t figure out which one is right for me and I don’t want to make a mistake in buying a scanner! I would like the miraco, but as a first scanner given the cost it remains only a mirage for now :sweat_smile: I hope that some of you can help me and give me the right advice. Thanks in advance, Fabio

Hi @Pico79

Depending on your needs for scanning small objects, the MINI 2 is more suitable for you. the POP 3 is suitable for scanning medium-sized objects.

You can see some MINI 2 user showcases here: MINI Series - Revopoint 3D

Hi Fabio , if you going to scan small parts of 1 cm you need to go with MINI 2 , with that you can scan easy scan objects to 28 cm max , just remember that MINI 2 uses Blue light scanner and not all surfaces will be scannable especially dark plastic and rubber materials so make sure you have 3D spray on the hand to get the proper precision and accuracy especially for the very small parts .

When you scanning phones and other types of objects make sure you use 3D spray and add additional objects around it to keep tracking , phone has a primitive geometry that is particularly featureless, 3D structure light scanners relays on objects unique features , without it, it can’t perform proper scanning .

I invite you to check out the tutorial sections in the forum and learn little bit about the process .

I believe you will be best armed using Mini 2 as well .

You can check my Mini 2 showcase here : PUTV | SHOWCASE | Revopoint MINI 2 3D Scanner - #27

thanks for the replies.
I double-checked the measurements of the items I would like to scan and then replicate, mainly spare parts that are no longer found such as small brackets, hooks, etc. and the minimum dimensions are approximately 4x4cm, while the maximum dimensions are 30x15cm. Are these too big?
I forgot, I would also need to scan the feet or hands, is this possible with the mini 2? I have to do it for a friend who designs custom accessories. finally I ask for clarification because I read conflicting information. There are those who say that human faces cannot be scanned with the mini because the blue light hurts the eyes, whether they are open or closed, while others say that it can be done as long as the eyes are closed, who is right? Can the mini scan a person’s face or half-length? (so to speak, like the one included in the package) it would be nice to maybe scan the faces and then modify them and create caricatures.
Thanks in advance

Hi @Pico79
The MINI 2 have a very small Field of view and needs lots of features to be able to scan an object, I would not recommend to scan objects that are bigger than 15cm because the results will be downgraded anyway while processing to a less detailed anyway .

Use the proper scanner for a proper object size .

Get MIRACO for all your needs … small and big

MINI series is for mini objects , Pop series for medium, Range series for big and MIRACO for everything from mini to huge object !

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the miraco costs too much, or rather, being the first scanner and my first experiences, I don’t feel like investing so much money right away. perhaps it is wiser to take multiple scanners based on your scanning needs, perhaps starting with one and then later taking another. at least I’m starting to try them and understand how they work, gaining experience. I might even find some used ones in the meantime. maybe it’s better to start with the mini 2, because the pop 3 is used while the mini 2 isn’t, or for this very reason to start with a used pop 3 and then get a mini 2. I think I’m more confused than before :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You can find used online Mini 2 and POP3 sold by people that upgraded to MIRACO in most cases .

Don’t put all your eggs in one basket , for the small stuff you going to scan MINI 2 will be ideal , but for a starter I would start with INSPIRE scanner , it is capable to scan very small things and cost less than POP3 still have superior quality , so you can scan hands and small stuff as well , of course there is always some learning curve but INSPIRE is excellent entry scanner and one of my favorite every day scanner .