POP2 reset/calibrate gyroscope

Is there a way to reset/calibrate the POP2’s gyro? In my case, when I’m trying to scan from hands, the model on the screen starts to twist or move erratically while I hold the scanner steady in my hands of moving it slowly, so software looses a track or creates chaotic model. Because of that it is not possible to scan from hands at all, much worse than doing it with the previous model of POP. Evidently the gyro provides a wrong info.

3 Likes

I have the same issue, where it just start to go off and rotate in a circle. I have posted in the IOS thread thinking it might be a tracking issue, but it actually more likely is the gyroscope.

1 Like

I got it on both, on PC and on my Android phone. And yes, it rotates or moves up and down in excess.

2 Likes

yea i really hope they can provide a solution, and it isnt a defective gyro.

1 Like

Occasionally saw this with the POP1 while it was on a tripod. I expect it is a software issue.

2 Likes

yea, incase this thread catches more traction for them vs the IOS one.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HM4L80rNQGwwypGEW43vK0Tu_ytaKVtq?usp=sharing

basically a video example of what happens to me.

and it has also happened on regular object, like a bowl.

1 Like

I have the same problem and have asked @Revopoint-Cassie on multiple occasions.

I expected the POP 2’s gyroscope to provide much better stability than I have experienced, but it is possible that I am just overloading the circuitry.

1 Like

It happening to me only if there is too much light or the Depth map exposure get stuck … and do not show the accrual settings . I never had issue with it on my android phone .

Regular objects like a bowl need a tracking markers , you can’t scan it if the surface is flat without any features but that is with any 3D scanner . It is much easier to scan a complex engine than a simple coffee mug

4 Likes

I understand and totally get that. But the tracker shouldn’t just start moving and creating its own continuous planes if I’m not moving.

2 Likes

@Subtletea You see , it is not how things works , the scanner shutting 10 frames per second … each time it shut a frame a new plane with data is created , no matter you are moving or not .It only stops when you shut it down . A bowl or sphere has no features , it is impossible to track the object in space for that reason you getting accumulation of planes that don’t know where they should be in space .

3 Likes

Hi @arifg @Subtletea ,

Could you please provide a video of your scan process - including which mode you choose and your light condition? Then we can see if it is a software bug or a scan method issue.

From my experience, the gyroscope of POP 2 usually not the reason. (just my experience)

Update:
@Subtletea

I had watched your video, the explanation from @PUTV is correct. To scan such an object without feature, you should use the Marker mode.

Best Regards
Cassie

2 Likes

@Revopoint-Cassie I got through all the issues already with POP1 :face_with_peeking_eye: nothing new here that I don’t know already . But it is good to educate people . 3D laser scanning is not an iPhone with an app using photogrammetry. Little education helps solving issues and better understanding of the process.

3 Likes

Thank you guys, that makes more sense. So now I need to patiently wait until marker mode is available on IOS

@Revopoint-Cassie do the developers have an ETA for the next release with the marker mode fixed?

1 Like

Hi @Subtletea ,

I think the developers can finish the new version within the next following week. We will try our best. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards
Cassie

1 Like

What is the purpose of the gyro at all? There should be a mode ‘Hand Scan’ or something, to inform the hardware that there is no movement of the model itself (it is static), so only the scanner is moving. It will prevent the software from rotating the object other than gyro reports.

3 Likes

@arifg The gyroscope sensor is configured to measure a change of the position of the positioning device. Pop2 measuring 3D coordinates from two positions including at least one accelerometer and gyroscope. This is the new laser technology that POP2 is using , and has nothing to do with moving or static objects .It is there for pure 3D measurements in space and from my own experiences it make sure that the infrared patterns is always projected straight no matter the position of the device, vertically or horizontally .

Has a solution of the first described problem been found? Have that same issue in feature and in marker mode. On IOS and Windows.

What issue you have ? Can you post screenshot? We talk about a lot of stuff here .
Most of it are no problems just lack of proper education on how to scan the specific objects using the device . Each object needs own different approach.