POP 3 - Slipper Scan

I had an interesting time with this scan, and, I may be wrong but I’m getting the impression you can have too much scan data when it comes to merging scans.

My first attempt was to scan the slipper in several positions using the turn table, but after 4 scans which ensured all of the slipper had been captured, the merged scans seemed to had an offset in places, about 3mm which was causing me an issue as I wanted to do all the processing in RevoScan, when meshed it gave me a strange kind of bubbly overlay.

This was present on multiple parts of the model and made it incredibly messy. It looks like its caused by the software trying is best to create what it thinks is 2 outside surface. No amount of smoothing or simplification helped, it just removed detail.

My next decision was to manually scan the slipper, and effectively collect less data to merge due to being able to cover more area per scan, and to target those areas specifically.

This issue didn’t go away, but it was considerably better this time. leaving only 3 specific areas of the slipper with slight overlay.

My solution was to trim the pointclouds before merging, but leave enough of a % overlap that it would still process automatically.

You can see the areas with straight edges are where the pc’s were trimmed

And overlaid onto my base scan

I’m sure there are many ways to get the same results and feel free to discuss them here, I just wanted to show how I improved the results by really looking at where I was having the issue.

Best results before trimming:

Results after trimming :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Gary

You still did a great job , this kind of material is not really merging friendly , but you still managed to finish it to my surprise .
This kind of surface / objects are best to be handheld scanned on a turntable at once in one session .

Thank you :slight_smile:

The slipper just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time :rofl::rofl:

I was curious if the fluffy insides would cause an issue, but to my surprise even that was fine.

I also wondered if my physical handling of the slipper would cause an issue as there’s no real way to know if it was the same shape every time, though its quite a stiff item.

All in all very happy, my better half has a Blythe doll, so i might try to print a pair off for her , I’ll have to scan the dolls foot to get the interface .

It may , I always put some socks inside fabric shoes just in case something deform while handling .

Yes the results was good despite the fact that the surface was too fluffy for merge mode since the accuracy can change each time after fusing this type of surface material , basically the surface is based on noises , as the fibers do not scan as a solid volume …

Good luck with the doll parts … a subject fur another showcase hehe !