POP 2 3rd Party Gimbals

I see there is a gimbal being offered with the new mini, but i wanted to see if anyone has already figured out a 3rd party gimbal that can be purchased now? Not opposed to getting the kickstarter one but would like something that’s also available right now for purchase.

Anyone have any luck?

1 Like

I was researching gimbals on eBay and Amazon before I became aware of the upcoming Revopoint model.

There are many vendors selling models in the US $30-$100 range, but they are all for smart phones, not cameras. I see no option for replacing the clamp with a 1/4" or compatible quick-release clamp suitable for the Revopoint scanners. If you try to adapt one, just keep in mind that you are voiding the warranty with the first loosened screw. Also keep in mind that there are several operating modes and various control mechanisms that may not match the models specifically designed for a close-range scanner instead of a medium- to long-range camera.

Most of the rest are in the range of almost $300 to maybe a little more than $500 (one was $1000). They’re designed to handle actual cameras with standard mounts. I would expect that the more expensive models can handle more weight (such as a DSLR with a zoom lens).

1 Like

While the “DIY Slider” is not a Gimbal, it does stabilize the 3 axis.

It does not solve losing track when the POP2 can not see any “perspective” (Lack of detail / Depth features etc) But the “DIY” does make for better scans, for me, cause I am very shaky.

2 Likes

You can change the clamp, it is not under warranty and doing so will not violate it . You are not restricted to use just the quick release clamp it offers . I changed it back and forth 100 times already using different plate to use with regular tripods and 1/4 brackets.

1 Like

You can also use a cold shoe adapter if you don’t want to remove the hot shoe from the scanner.

2 Likes

@Erked I actually use it mostly with good ballhead and desktop arm , the original quick release clamp is not practical for my needs .

1 Like

I was sharing that for anyone wanting different options. My guess is you have a nice setup with all kinds of toys.

1 Like

I do do also CGI HDRI & VR photography for my customers as well , lots of toys :wink:

1 Like

That sounds awesome. I’m jealous, even though I wouldn’t know what to do with half of it.

I was about to build my own double axis rotation turntable for MINI with a shift at 30%, it was a simple design that could be printed out as I was tired of using magnetic alligator clips and clean it up each time I made a scan of very small objects , but then I saw the upcoming Revopoint new gadget , I would add one more additional part to it to make it a perfection . I hope it gets available soon in the store , as there was no way to pledge it as an individual product.

1 Like

I like the idea of building a “Double axis turntable” because I would make it larger and have more control. I have a lot of CNC parts…

2 Likes

3rd party gimbal will not work. I already experimented with two, one for smartphones and one for 360 cameras. The problem is not the Pop itself, it’s the cabe. You have to power it somehow, and the cabe will always pull on the Pop. Gimbals are extremely delicate, it’s all about balance - it’s impossible to balance the Pop with the cable, because with every position of the pop the cable will be pulling differently. That is something they totally didn’t mention in the videos - you can see the Revopoint gimbal actualy seems to have a powerbank in the gimbal head and a very short thin cable going from it to the scanner. I have no idea how to replicate that - you’d have to put the Pop and the powerbank on the gimbal head together - and that would require a rather big gibal :confused:

Quite honestly I’m actually more interested in the gimbal and the turntable than the Mini :joy:

1 Like

This seem buildable enough;

2 Likes

@Miamijerry my idea was much simpler , and you can use the POP2 turntable with it , and of course manual as I am not as gifted as you , with your skills .

That what I noticed from KS , everyone cared more about the extra gadgets than the cheaper pledge with just MINI .

Both gadgets are not easy to be replaced online as there is none of that , the MINI gimbal have battery build in to power MINI .

they say on KS that this 360 is “Bluetooth”. IF it really is, then i assume there are servos in it controlled by the software to optimally fill “holes.” in the scan on-the-fly. That seems really great for their KS price of this addon!

It may have own separate control app where you can adjust the angle , normal and shift 30% , and maybe speed. I heard nothing about it being controlled via Revo Scan , it is new design and still in production.

This is probably due, at least in part, to the payload capacity of the gimbals. The units designed for a smartphone can only handle 250 grams (the POP 2 is 195 grams, minus the cable).

I ran into this issue. My gimble could not handle the load. While it worked, it looked promising.
I never got around to getting a dslr gimble to handle the load.
I will definitely be trying out the Revopoint unit when my Mini gets in.