Orienting the scan in Revopoint

Hi,
is there a way to actually orient the 3d scan in Revoscan.
I’m not talking about rotating the viewport - it’s just rotating the camera.
I’m talking about rotating the scan itself.
Why?
I often get scan meshes from Revopoint that when imported to other apps are just rotated - 30 degress left, 7 degress front etc.
Now that is not a surprise since revoscan has no way of knowing what orientation the scanned object was in, and even if it did, we rotate the object between scans - so that is not a fair expectation.
What I’d like is to be able to select a bunch of polygons and tell Revoscan that these lay flat on the floor, or these are part of a vertical wall.

1 Like

The position of the scan is the same as the first position of the frame you shot , meaning the position of the scanner is locked to position of the first frame so it could follow the tracking .

If you was able to change the position , you could not more continue scanning or texture mapping the software object unless the while project and all frames are changing the position .

It is too complicated , not all software use the same position in space , some of my professional grand use Y as Z or Z as Y so this is not universal .

However in the latest RS5 you can display grid , to see how far the scan is away from ground zero .

What we would need is an option to copy the meshed scan in a project , so we can change the position in space as we want and leave the original one unaltered , it would make huge change, less coding and altering would be needed .

I have so many projects , any huge changes to the software coding could make my projects no more editable so the best option would be to just change the meshed object in space but as copy it f the original one .

But anyway I use the gizmo tools in my softwares anyway to make precise position of my scans . But the dublication of scans to edit would be good idea I think

1 Like

I think it’s a little simpler than that - just move one layer of abstraction outwards.
You don’t want to deal with synchronizing positions of all raw data frames with the rotated mesh? Fine. Let me rotate the entire Revoscan world. Nothing changes internally for Revoscan, but I still get to properly set my scene up for export.
Every single 3D printing software has this function, select polygons on the mesh which will be put flat down on the floor - it’s much more precise than eyeballing the rottion with gizmos in Maya or 3dsMax :confused:

Do you mean something like that?

If yes it’s not complicated, just support the suggestion :wink:

1 Like

I have the same need: I see we can actually display some kind of rotation gizmo (see picture) but I’m unable to do anything with that (at least on a Mac): what’s the use of that gizmo if not for rotating the scan and align it with the world axes? or is the Mac version bugged? thanks

Filip , you don’t know that the mesh files are used for texture mapping , once the original position change , the mesh can’t be textured anymore , the whole position is locked in to all data . The reason there is not rotation of a mesh still available .

Fused, meshed files are linked and related too all project data … so if you move any of them , game over for future processing .

The only way would be to move the whole project data but I don’t think that would make sense to waste time programing , the best would be to clone the objects for separate processing but just to rotate ? Where you have any modeling and printing program doing it anyway ?

We need so many improvements at this moment with other features for processing pointcloud as that is the main focus .
Like fir example manual alignment under merging , and features like showing wire while simplifying and other stuff we all wait .

1 Like

It is for visual aspect in the view … if you move your meshed scan in soace you can’t texture it anymore …

It is like you move a mesh in photogrammetry or replace it with another one in total different position, it don’t works this way … all images and data files are linked to the specific original position in space according to data .

The only files that could be moved freely would be the final textured mesh . Since it is not connected to any processing .

1 Like

Did you found solution to move all the data files from the project folder to follow each changes to the point cloud original space ? It is not a modeling software , all data is linked precisely including each frame and image . So easy it is not , because you forgot of all the 4000 frames and 4000 images that need to rotate with it too , or you would be not able to process

It is like moving a pointcloud in space while doing Photogrammetry , before it was meshed and textured .

That we understand each other correctly, I mean the orientation of the merged point cloud. But even the individual frames could be transformed, because the transformation data is the same for all points (relatively)

Of course the pointcloud data can be transformed, we have it already when merging 2 scans , the second scan is transformed from its original position and all data included images , that why we can now texture merged scans …

However the transformation is saved somewhere else and it is not permanent change to the original project of the rotated scan …
Otherwise the project would be corrupted .

We don’t talk here about a modeling software where you import an obj and do with it as you please .

Revopoint dev.team are very educated team members with PhD , they know what they doing and how to do that, they doing that for a living .

All we need to do is asking for improvements or new features … it gonna be revisited and added in proper time as their schedule allows . And they are very busy developing lots of things .

I’m not sure if it’s productive to discuss whether all employees have a PhD or not. The programmer of CloudCompare doesn’t have one and describes himself as an efficient programmer.

However, it is true that there are still essential tools missing for a 3D scan. I don’t want to say that RevoScan is bad software, on the contrary, it is constantly improving, but only very slowly. You yourself said that you often have to resort to other software. Proper orientation should be something RevoScan can handle, but unfortunately, even Miraco can’t do it with an IMU.

Not even the simple function for aligning based on points without merging is integrated, so how should the ICP supposed to work?

I don’t mean to offend anyone, but I am someone who speaks openly when something could be better.

We are on the same page , just slightly different wording I guess .

Revo Scan 5 was released in April … it is a very young software and already so much better than RS4 once was .

I am only saying that the dev.team knowing what they doing , their software is not open source software that can collect bunch of available free codes , it is a commercial software and trade mark of Revopoint .
So if they do add any feature it will be based on their own development and codes and for that they need a time developing it to call it their own . Fir other functions they need to pay license to be able to use it .

Just because RS5 is free to download , it don’t means it is an open source software , each feature you add to the software need correspond with the proper firmware settings if the hardware .

For example adding my request for having Manual White Balance required to change and update the hardware with special firmware, since most of features and function are already in that hardware and not everything run from the software , that allows the device to be portable .

So changes involved a projects itself are very delicate structures that can’t be just changed because other software have it .

Cloud compare do not scan objects , it is 3D editing software and any imported object can be changed to any position you want as it do not depends on full project of data or where you are in a middle of processing , so simple solutions are not as simple … and take time .

Once the time come , they will add the feature for sure … but before that , other features are really needed for the processing as that is nesesery at this moment .

What have I done :smile:
But seriously, I kinda know what I’m talking about.
What we propose is quite simple from the coding perspective.
There is absolutely no need for this function to change anything inside the current Revoscan project.
Instead of rotating anyhing - it can rotate the camera, just as the current tools allow.
The the new camera position should be stored - maybe even add an icon so that we can easily return to the stored camera view position?
At this point, nothing has changed in the project.
It’s only when exporting the mesh, the stored camera position will be taken and its transformation multiplied with the transformation matrix of the exported mesh - this is literally a single line matrix multiplication code.
It’s all just for exporting sake - no need to introduce a new coordinate system and transformation system into Revoscan - these, you’re right, would be a huge rewrite and would result in a lot of bugs.

2 Likes