My daily work with pop2

Hello friends.
My job is the design and development of footwear collections. I have been using specific Footwear software for nearly 30 years, with which I do most of my work. It has some 3d modules and others 2d.
The last factory has always provided me digitally with what I need for development, but I was looking for options and among all the ones I found I decided to buy the pop2. In this way, I already have all the options for working internally in the studio, and I no longer need any type of external support.
The process that I am going to show is the one that I usually do daily, the most common, and I need to do many tests for days until I find a valid system so that the specific footwear software that I use would recognize the stl file without problems.
In this case I had to start the scan from the ipad because on the PC the latest version that I had installed from December constantly lost track of me. Maybe I should start thinking about replacing it, it’s an I7 but from 10 years ago with only 6 GB of memory, but until this latest version it has always worked perfectly for me.

we started
I have a black wooden box where I have adapted an arm for support and some led strips that I still have to fix definitively. The pop1 turntable with a modification to regulate the speed. In the photo you can see the last on the plate. They are smooth and somewhat shiny surfaces, at first I had to use aesub, but lately I’ve been doing it without a problem.

The scanning, cleaning and merging steps are what we all do regularly, I don’t think it’s necessary to put a lot of information.

Scan time.

Point cloud.

In Revo Studio the same, a few steps and it is exported.

Mesh made and ready to store.

Here if the process to make it compatible with the specific footwear software begins.

Start with Instant Meshes.

Press first option Solve.

Press second option Solve.

export mesh
pure quad mesh
extract mesh
Save

Then it’s Blender’s turn, I use it to export this .ply file positioned in x, y, z so that it can be understood by the shoe software.
If this position could be done in Revo Studio that would be fantastic. I would not do this step.

And saving it in .stl

From here, it’s up to the shoe Cad Cam software I work with.

The object is imported and some points are indicated to position it correctly, it is usually a semi-automatic work but it always needs a review and some modification of contour lines. It correctly detects the sections of the last. The result is this.

Deactivating everything and I leave only the lines drawn on the last making a basic model of the salon.

The pieces that form it are created and the texture of the material is applied to each one.

The last is hidden, the symbols that simulate the stitching are added and a sole is created.

A heel is also designed.

It is already finished in what refers to the 3d design in this software, now changing articles and seeing combinations of different materials is just a mouse click away. There is a rendering option with backgrounds, surfaces, lighting, but I barely get to use that. Here I leave some basic renders.

Regarding the 2d part, it smooths out the 3d surface and allows me to have all the correct pieces that fit together perfectly for the final shoe.

Added margins to join pieces.

Final result of all the necessary quartering.

This is all my contribution, everything I have read in this forum from all the participants in it has helped me a lot, it has been my university at the beginning of 3d scanning. I am very grateful to all the members and, of course, to Revopoint, who has created a fantastic tool that manages to facilitate daily work. If my small contribution serves someone, I will feel very happy.

Greetings to all.
Thank you.

12 Likes

Thx a lot for the insight, very interesting and great use of Pop2! :clap:

1 Like

Great job and showcase @luisma
Thanks for sharing !

Always amazes me how people can use technology for everything! So cool!!!

P.S. I could use a nice pair of hiking boots… :rofl:

Ahh this is too cool.
I love learning how stuff like this is done.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing!
Question: What is your workflow when scanning lasts, do you start with the last standing on it’s bottom surface, and then laying on one side, then on the other side?
Do you also model a sharp feather line before exporting it to your shoe program?

I use my POP2 for scanning footcasts, and I model orthopaedic lasts based on these scans ( see https://www.youtube.com/@podotools/videos )
Unfortunately my POP2 recently died, I have contacted RevoPoint but no solution yet.
So I now I am using my POP1 again. For casts the POP1 is also fine.

Hi,

Thank you so much for the support!

Yes, we start laying the last by one side, it doesnt matter what side. Then we do the other side. When we started scanind we put first the last standing on it’s bottom but we realised that is better to do it by lying it because we just new 2 steps and not 3. So is better to do it just in 2, less chances to fail the scan.

The second question i dont understand it, could you please explain it better to me. Is the feather line the tool of every design program what do you mean?

Because if thats what you are saying, what we do is with our shoe program we import the file and the program takes some point of the last to make the important lines of the last which then we need to modify them inside the program and finally it makes the last again, like some type of render which is more clean.

Out POP2 is still living hahaha and we work almost everyday with it so we hope it will have a long life.

I have seen your videos and its nice what you do, i will see them with more time because Im sure i will ask you some questions.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for the answers.
The featherline is the edge of the bottom surface of the last. It is sharper then the scan result and important when you produce lasts. So I have model the featherline in CAD to get it as sharp and precise as I want.
In last factories they also remodel the featherline after scanning the last for a sharp edge, or they use a mechanical scanner with a probe that follows a rotating last.
When I scan lasts that are larger then about size 42 I need 3 scans to grab the complete last.
Feel free ask more questions.
Regards,
Erik

Hello Luisma.
I find your work very interesting.
I wanted to ask you, how do you position the piece on the coordinate axis in the correct way?
thank you.

Hi! Well that was a thing we talk everyday here in our studio. Now we can talk the same languaje, sorry because i didnt understand well what was the featherline.

The line of the bottom of the last same for us, the point is our software of shoe pattern give us the chance of redesign the last. So we dont really need it to be as shaped as the last is because to do the fitting is not as important as maybe you need it to be.

I show you how the last is after scan and charge it in Instant Meshes to make it lighter and then i will show you the last when we redisign it in our shoe pattern and fitting software.

First one.

Then after Instant Meshes.

The last redisigned.

However we are really interested in how to give the same shape to that line. How do you do it, with Rhino as we have seen in your videos or other software. Because in our program is just for used it in, we cant export it. Sometimes we print some lasts to make some prototypes or sometimes someone lend us a last that we have to turn it back so we print it to have it and its true that the featherline is not the same. Sometimes is not important for us but we want to do the thing better.

Yes thats what last factories here said to us, more or less the same.

What we use to scan are 37 or 42, sample sizes so i didnt try to scan one 46 yet hahaha.

What we do sometimes its to make mini lasts just for fun haha.

Thanks for all!

1 Like

Hi!

Okey, im doing a small tutorial for you and i will explain you. For us is really imporant to position it well, if is not in his correct position we have problems and we cant use the shoe pattern software. Something similar to you?

1 Like

indeed Luisma.
We then have to take it to a cadcam software and spend a lot of time placing it in the correct position.

Thank you very much,

Okey,

what we use is Blender. We import the last and then we do the next steps, more or less you can do it in 1 minute.

First of all, import it.

Then when you have it what you have to do is select with the right button of the mouse this option:

In Spanish is “Origen al centro de la masa(superficie)”, in english it should be something similar to “origin at the center of mass (surface)”.

Then we start moving and rotating it:

As you see in the left side of the screenshot you can see the option of move in blue selected and back the option of rotate so what we do is to put it in the center.

Then we start the rotation:

We will use the roation lines, probably all. You will have to touch every view in the top right part, touching X and rotating and moving, then Y and rotating and moving and the z and rotating and moving until you have them in this position.

Y (You can see it in the top at the right side)

X (You can see it in the top at the right side)

Z (You can see it in the top at the right side)

Depeding on the waist of the last you should change te orienation on Y. The part is touching the ground you put it in the ground, like the normal position of the shoe finished.

After this, you have it done. You export it and then you continue working!

Sorry if you dont understand, im sure you will do it. If you dont know some step just let me know and i will make a video which is better and faster.

And, what do you do in the shoe industry?

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.
We work with power shape and do something similar, but I thought it could be done faster, by positioning the last.

Well Luisma, we are dedicated to the manufacture of molds for soles and we do all the development, often starting from the last.

Many greetings and thanks again.