MINI | R33 Skyline door pocket, Plymouth Prowler fender

Hello from Tbilisi, Georgia.
I’m a car enthusiast with R33 skyline as my daily driver(no youtube channel, no instagram :smiley: just enjoying driving with my friends). Between me and my friends we have 4 skylines and other cool enthusiast cars.
That said, I was searching for affordable and useful 3D scanner to restore and modify parts for my car when I came across Revopoint MINI, I chose mini because I wanted precision for scanning interior details. I purchased bundle with turntable and later added stabilizer with power bank. Calibration and testing went pretty easy and well. So I started my first real project:

I had to repair damaged door pocket of my R33, I decided to scan pocket and then 3D print it with Carbon filament. I managed to scan object after couple of tries using turntable, here are some pics of the process and finished result, I don’t have access to scanning spray so I used liquid chalk instead.

After showing this to my friend who happened to work with fiberglass/carbon/kevlar bodywork manufacturing he asked to help him recreating broken fender for Plymouth Prowler that he was working with. I had to scan undamaged fender and 3D print the mould which would be used to make fiberglass part. We had undamaged left fender and half of the right fender. I had to scan ~70/40cm fender with MINI :smiley: I used chalk spray and markers which came with bundle and after may tries and 8 separate scans I finally managed to fuse a 3D model that I could work with.

Here is a fiberglass part applied to the actual vehicle. In both cases I used Revo Scan for scanning, Revo Studio for merging and optimizing meshes and 3DSMax for final touchups. As for the printer I have Anycubic Kobra Max.

MINI works great for me so far, picks up smallest details of the object. When I was doing fender there was no Range 3D scanner announced yet.

8 Likes

Ow… A lot of markers, but you managed to scan such a large object with Mini. Nice.

Just as it it almost the same as your Skyline pocket, will post a thing alike. Seems it is an ashtray of some car,that I was asked to make some kind of an insert in it.

Made as a freehand scan with numerous passes and some swearing words along )
The result:

The original element was glossy black plastic, matted it with an airbrush with acrylic paint - washed it away with IPA later.

1 Like

Great work, I have gotten quite brave with my mini as well. The pop 2 while it can scan bigger it has worst surface mesh than my mini.

The range maybe the ticket if we can get confirmation on accuracy.

Great work btw.

-Sam
SkreetKar3D

2 Likes

That would be more clear by the second Beta prototype .

BTW great job Sam ! You should post some new thread under Showcase/Mini showing off your scanning results.

Great job @tornikesuladze , thanks for sharing !
Adore your patience scanning this size of objects with MINI …
I think upcoming Range will be just perfect for the big scan jobs .
Markers only every 5-8 cm in Marker mode, overall great for objects bigger than 20-30 cm .

Excellent work reverse engineering these auto parts. I agree that the Mini is better-suited for this type of work than the POP 2, but I am looking forward to the upcoming Range scanner for some of the same type of work you are doing.

2 Likes

Yeah, It was quite a hustle but I had to work with what I had at that moment. Tried different layouts for marker placement until I got rid of ‘no enough markers’ message. If I can get my hands on Range that will be different, MINI will be used for detailed interior parts and small engineering work, while Range will be for exterior parts and large objects.

1 Like

That is a good thinking here and dedication ! keep up the good work !