Mini - FPV Camera Scan - Fusion360 Solid Model Verification and Rebuild

Hello Everyone !

I’d just like to show a small project I started months before I know I’m even buying a Revopoint3D Mini but wished I’d had it !

The scanned item is a Runcam Hybrid II now sadly discontinued :expressionless:.

I built a solid model of it in Fusion360 mostly manually using digital calipers and the common sense.

Originally I found that a 3D printed housing I designed would not fit over it there are too many interference’s. So I set out to verify why.

I’m not patient. So it was still attached to drone. I’m to lazy to un-solder the wires.
I couldn’t wait for proper scanning spray so I use the generic foot powder spray.
I first tapped off openings and lenses. I tried to press tape into round mount holes. You can see this. I used the normal scotch tape. You can see layers in the scan. Even serrated edge. Just did it on dinning room table moved scanner over cam taped to dot platform by hand. No special lighting. Made several scans of different types. I don’t need a complete scan just as many feature as possible.

My original model was a bit off. The scans verified this. Lens placement was not correct. Body shape was also not so good. But again the 3d scans help to correct this immensely!

I corrected my model. Housing fit is now excellent.

3 Likes

1 Like

3 Likes

Looks good. You should be able to get what you need from these scans.

Good job , remember this size objects scanned with MINI need to be at minimal 10 cm distance from the camera to the object at 45 degrees for best performance and quality .

so the scanner should be tilted down at 45 degrees?

It’s a good starting point, especially if the scanned object has significant flat surfaces that are horizontal or vertical.

It’s less necessary for the more organically-shaped objects. Indeed, for objects with significant curvature, scanning the same area at a variety of angles can be the best way to go (be careful as too many scanning frames of the same surface can induce noise). In this case, rotating the scanner or the object so that any furrows are close to parallel to the imaginary line between the scanner’s two depth sensors is recommended.

thanks Jeff thats a useful tip