First scan for reverse engineering with pop2

Hi. I recently got my scanner and tried to scan the wheel hub. Deviations with a part of approximately 0.1-0.3 mm. according to the measurements. I haven’t bought a rotary table yet, so the result is not the best.

3-ABE14-DE-3-DBB-42-D1-8-A6-B-E6-C61257-C07-E

4 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

Impressive results. Looks good enough to use as a reference for Reverse Engineering the design in a CAD package.

This looks really good. Would you mind sharing the software settings?

I glued and processed several point clouds into a geomagic wrap. Unfortunately, it is impossible to get such a result with a standard soft or cloudcompare

1 Like

Useful background information. Still room for improvement in Revo Studio, then.

Very good looking 3d scan,! Also like the look of 3d rendering. What software did you use for that? Blender or else?

this is not rendering) this is a screenshot of the fusion360 workspace. the second picture is an iphone camera shot with the .usdz file open

1 Like

Hi @Hardsurface ,

These results are impressive! Thank you for sharing.

Best Regards
Cassie

To how many polys did you reduce the mesh prior importing it to Fusion360? It still looks very detailed and in my experiece fusion 360 doesn’t handle lot of polys as good as for example Zbrush.

FUSION360 Perfectly handles more polygons. Some of my models have more than 9000000 and the software copes with it perfectly. The limitations may be due to the performance of your computer.

1 Like

Wow! Ok! Wondering what yor pc spec are. Mine are : Intel Core i7-9750H 6 core,
NVIDIA 2060 Mobile 6GB, 64GB RAM. Very unresponsive with meshes over 100000+ polys :confused:

You should have zero issues importing models with 1 million polygons on your PC spec … not sure about 10 millions , never heard of that , most fusion 360 users complaining about importing large models in general .

1 Like

I imported a 180 million polygon STL into TurboCAD. Took the better part of 20 minutes and was not as fluid as I would have preferred, but I was able to get the job done. MeshLab worked better (except for its poorly-documented user interface).

1 Like

Jeff you missing the point here , not all programs support that sizes of models and definitely not modeling programs that allows you to edit it at 180 millions of poly what would be insane to do .
There is a difference of using scan as reference and in editing it after import.

180 millions polygons is equal to 720 full body scans at decent quality or 1500 animated human Disney characters , did you scanned a house with MINI or what? :rofl:

The ‘point’ I was addressing was your comment that you were “not sure about 10 millions [polygons]” being within the capabilities of all 3D editing apps. I pointed out the capabilities of TurboCAD (a lower-priced AutoCAD peer) as background information for people whose scanning may not be limited to people.

Then you missed the point because we are talking about Fusion 360 only and how the process slowing down when importing scans at higher polygons count as many users of Fusion 360 complaining about not be able to work with big scans especially when using MINI

So thank you for the note , but you picked sequence out for context and out of subject . Not helped much Jeff .

TurboCad not to long time ago blower up by importing 40 milion polygons or models that use 4GB of RAM , so things improved since then . But we still talking about Fusion360 and not switching to TurboCad .
It is like telling Mini user that have a problem to use Artec scanner because it is better … make no sense , where is the solution in it !

My point was, if you need something more than Fusion360 can handle, there are options.