Mastering MIRACO: A Beginner’s Guide to 3D Scanning- Lesson # 2-How to Scan Thin Objects

Last time I gave a fairly simple introduction to MIRACO, and since I’ve seen many people using the scanner to scan things with thin edges, I decided to give it a try this time.

Make sure to check out the final scan results! It will definitely amaze you.

My computer version: HP ZHAN 66 Pro 14 inch G5 Notebook PC.
Software version: 5.4.6
the size of the item: 20cm4cm0.5cm

1. Scan Settings

1. Scanning Process

1. Result

During this time, I scanned a total of 3-5 times in order to wait for the best results for my merge later.

I transfer these modeling data to the computer. Please note that you cannot open the software that stores the data when transferring the data, otherwise, MIRACO cannot connect to the computer with the data cable. Common storage software are Google Drive and so on.

1. Post-processing

I scanned a total of three models, named 1, 2, and 3; different icons represent different statuses. Model 1 is just Fusion; models 2 and 3 indicate that Mesh processing has been done.
(1)Point Cloud Edit

(2)Mesh Edit

(3)Merge

(4)The Final Result

I think this result is lacking a bit of detail and I will continue to scan for enhancements.

I’m not too pleased with the results I mentioned earlier; the edge capture isn’t great. So, I’m going to give it another try.

The second attempt!

1. Improvement

Pre-scan preparation:
First, I went to an area with a clean background to conduct the scan;
Second, I sprayed the object I was scanning. This might help improve the outcomes.
Lastly, I changed the feature reference object to one that is about the same height as the scan, which should help reduce the chances of loss.

1. Scan Settings

I made some adjustments to the Scanning Settings.
High Accuracy: this also helps with the details.
Feature Mode;
General;
No Color;

A quick pre-scan tip!
When scanning thin objects here, choosing the right reference object (feature object) can be a bit tricky.
First: Try to select a large object which, when the turntable rotates, will obstruct the scanner’s line of sight;

Second: Choose a feature object that is about the same height as the object being scanned. This helps prevent tracking loss when scanning the top.

Third: There’s a knack for positioning the object and reference object for scanning. When setting them up, try to place the side with the most detail in the easiest position to scan. Make sure the thinnest part is near the feature object, so you won’t lose tracking when scanning the edges.

1. Scanning Process

1. Post-processing

I think this mode is easy to use, and will keep the detail, so I used it. But if you need high accuracy, please don’t use One-Tap Edit.

1. The Final result

I imported the model into the computer just to get a clearer view of the results.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know in the comments section.

8 Likes

Amazing Tutorial, that’s what’s the customers need!

4 Likes

This is an amazing tutorial, thank you for all of your time/effort to explain.

I still wish there was an easier way for those of us not quite so adept at taking the files outside of Rev. 5.X, merging etc. My challenge is scanning equine ribs that are malformed before birth (part of a research project). Some, like this one are VERY thin and almost impossible to stand on end.

I tried a few times with the Miraco but since I have to pause to turn the rib over, it always loses tracking or “creates” a new mesh 90º to the original, LOL.

The malformed rib in this photo is ~12 inches long. You can see part of the Miraco in the upper right for scale.

Any suggestions are as always, greatly appreciated!

Pamela aka Bone Lady
436486179_436813042265726_4294499159218124332_n-2

2 Likes

Do you have any fishing line? Try using transparent fishing line to tie up the object you want to scan, then suspend the object and keep it still!
Next, you can start scanning. I think this bone is quite thin, but just scan. If the scan doesn’t work, just add two more markers next to the object using the same way.
I didn’t mean to hang him. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

4 Likes