Kentacles - MIRACO Showcase

Just because I’ve been quiet lately, doesn’t mean I haven’t been busy scanning… :wink:

I recently made the jump to a Miraco from my Inspire, and WHEW has it been a blast!
The combination of portability and scan quality has been a trip, and I’ve been carrying the scanner everywhere with me.

And as a result, I’ve got some scans to share!

Seashell

• Near Mode
  • Continuous Capture
  • Advanced Fusion at 0.1mm
  • Mesh Quality also 0.1mm

Goals: Small object (approximately 120mm long), lots of small details, undercuts, and small details. Also wanted to see what kind of texture quality I could pull straight from a scan. Definitely not disappointed.

Sony Digital Camera

• Near Mode
  • Prepped with Scanner Spray
  • Continuous Capture
  • Advanced Fusion at 0.1mm
  • Mesh Quality also 0.1mm

Goals: Just wanted to re-visit one of my Inspire scans and see how the Miraco fared. I have to say, it came out pretty great. I also wanted to see how easily I could import the mesh into an app on my tablet for texturing, since I captured this one using scanning spray. Didn’t do anything fancy, but still very very pleased.

Automower Wheel

• Far Mode
  • Prepped with Scanner Spray
  • Single Frame Capture
  • One-Click for everything

Goals: Completely self-serving. The wheels on my robot mower have lost nearly all traction after roughly 1 year, and the replacements cost about 1/5 the cost of the mower itself. No, thank you. So I scanned one of the wheels, pulled it into my CAD software, and reverse engineered / used it as reference to create what I consider an upgrade.

3D printed the replacements using CF-PETG, and modelled them to be able to handle the terrain of my yard. (Plus, everyone knows chrome rims make the mower 20% faster, right?)

And of course, here’s Shredder with his new feet:

(I gotta say, it was so nice being able to do a quick scan in the garage rather than bringing a dirty wheel up into my office and measuring a million details and getting grass and mud all over the place.)

I have more projects I’m working on, and I can’t wait to share what I’ve got in the pipeline :smiley:

5 Likes

As always great scan, great use cases, great presentation- that’s why your posts are among my favourite ones. :clap: Looking forward to your future sharings.:slightly_smiling_face:

What do you get when you have a high resolution camera built into a 3D scanner?
One clean texture!

Bioshock 2 Rosie Figurine

I’m a nerd with nerdy things, and why not create a digital backup of those nerdy things? I also wanted to see what kind of texture quality I can push from the Miraco.

Subject

• Bioshock 2 Big Daddy (Rosie) NECA Figurine
  • 190mm tall
  • Painted, plastic and vinyl

Scanning Parameters

• Near Mode, connected to PC
  • Dark Object
  • Single Shot, ~1k images
  • Advanced Fusion - 0.16mm
  • Mesh Quality - 6.1, 0.16mm
  • Textured using color image capture
  • Resulting model had over 12.6m polygons

The figurine pretty much required Dark Mode. Without it, much of the figure simply didn’t scan. Aside from the darker colors, something about the paint and materials absolutely absorbed IR like a black hole. Dark mode nailed it, however.

(Learned a valuable lesson about texturing almost 13 million polygons. Unless you absolutely need all those triangles, simplify before generating a texture folks. Your RAM will thank me later) :slight_smile:

After capturing the images above, I did a 90% simplification of the mesh and regenerated the texture. I exported the file as OBJ to play with on my tablet.
The turntable below was created using the exported model and texture. I added a specularity layer to make the metal bits shine, created an environmental light, a single spot light, and a tiny bit of post processing.
ezgif-7-ed1d291329

This is a pretty good example of what you can get using a scan with very little work. This was rendered in real time on a 4 year-old android tablet. This very much makes me want to brush off Unreal Engine on my PC and start building environments using my scans…

1 Like