I'd like to congratulate the team on the Kickstarter campaign, but

I’m not filled with confidence by “Good news, everybody. After much deliberation we’ve decided to ship the product as advertised after all”. But hopefully this can be the end of the whole does it/ doesn’t it saga.

A shame it had to happen in the first place though. Revopoint perhaps needs to work on its comms a bit.

2 Likes

Confidence is not inspired here. I get it that some just need a scan and others need texture. What doesn’t seem to be picked up on by Revopoint3D is that 2MP on any scanner just doesn’t cut it. When the POP2 was being put forward I lobbied for a higher MP camera but they still went ahead and used the pathetic sensor again for the POP2 and I have the horrible sinking feeling that this will be the case for the Mini. Just because a subject is small doesnt mean the sensor has to be small…again. In the case of cultural heritage detail is what is needed. Scan to view, not scan to print is the goal. @Revopoint-Cassie, you wanted examples, well here is an example of what is needed. This one is a 7th century Irish brooch pin approximately 2cm across. Granted this could be a better scan but gives an idea of minute detail that is need. 7th Century Irish Brooch - 3D model by HeritageNI.com (@heritageNI) [f709757] - Sketchfab. Oh and just while on the subject ‘on chip’ enhancement routines is not the same as more pixels.

You see, it is not working this way , even if you put 13MP camera inside POP2 you will still get exactly the same results with textures as you have right now.
The resolution of the textures depends of the pitch point resolution , each point in point cloud is actually the pixel , so with 0.1mm pitch point resolution you will never get higher texture details and the spaces between the points that are missing are artificially filled by the software, resulting in fuzzy appearance on close ups.

So now having 2MP camera with MINI will produce actually 80% sharper details than POP2 , since the pitch point distance is much smaller and less gaps has to be filled by the software.

Revo Scan do not use photogrammetry techniques to produce the textures but RGB color per vertex data that is captured while scanning with each frame . Same process when you look at a screen resolution of 640 compared to 4K , more pixels, less distance, sharper image on close up.

POP and POP2 has the same pitch point resolution so changing the resolution of the RGB camera would not improve anything as it is already optimal .

The maximum RGB Camera that MINI can profit from is around 3-4 MP with pitch point resolution at 0.05mm per frame. If they decide they can go to 6.4MP at maximum with the pitch point resolution of 0.02mm , but the official specifications are at 0.05mm .
0.02mm pitch point is right now only experimental while beta testing.

For that reason the MP of the RGB Camera do not influence the final resolution or details of the Textures produced in Revo Scan software, but the resolution of the point cloud as everything depends on it, and $30K scanners do not offer bigger than 6.4MP RGB cameras as it is not working the way you think it does.

2 Likes