I bought a 1 RPM display turntable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K35HPJ4?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

as the scans appear to do better slowly, but POP’s turntable won’t adjust down… What can I use in place of the dots on top of the table? I KNOW I saw a similar pattern on the Net somewhere… TIA!

1 Like

You can use some of the supplied markers in a random pattern. The position of every point is not important as long as the pattern is not regular. Also, place dots only on the outer side. They aren’t of much use near the center where they will probably be obscured by the object to scan. Just look at the multiple pictures and videos Revo has published.

Alternatively you can design the pattern in the computer and get it printed in adhesive vynil with matt finish. Use a big black circle the size of your platform and small white circles the size of the white circles in the markers. You can measure them when you receive the scanner. I haven’t received mine yet so I can’t give you a measure.

1 Like

DO NOT BUY THIS STINKER! It does NOT have a 1 rpm setting, it has the same as the cheapies on eBay, and you have to put the battery in the opposite of the cast-in + marking to get it to work.

1 Like

Totally agree. This is not like the rotating platforms of scanners such as NextEngine or Einscan SE that are controlled by the computer or the scanner. This is a totally isolated platform and I think it is overpriced and overengineered for what it delivers. It has a step motor that is not needed for what the platform does but makes it much more expensive than one with a regular motor and reducing gears with the same results.

Or were you refering to the rotating platform in Amazon? Because I was talking about the rotating platform that Revopoint sells with the scanner. Totally overpriced.

I spoke of the one I bought. The Revopoint one I can’t judge as I DON’T HAVE IT YET, AND THEY KNOW IT AND DON’T CARE!

I was wondering if there was an easy way to slow down the table that Revo sent with my scanner, so I busted it open to take a look. I was surprised. I was expecting a small DC motor and gear train. What I found was an actual 35BYJ412 stepper motor, a STC 12C5616 MCU, and a L293DD H-Bridge driver chip to interface the MCU to the motor. It’s a pretty “sophisticated” product.

It looks like there’s a FTDI interface on the PCB, so it may be possible to dump the FW on the controller, modify it, and write it back to get the motor to step at a lower rate. But I think it’ll be easier to just interface a small Arduino or similar controller SoC to the motor, so that’s what I’m looking at doing now. Since I have a drawer full of small Arduino chips.

I get it figured out, I’ll post instructions on how to duplicate my results.

Update: will be easier than I thought. Parts will arrive by end of the week and depending on how much free time I have, I should have a variable speed turntable solution running by the end of the weekend. It needs about $15 in parts. Maybe $20 if I decide to get fancy and add some switches to allow different speeds to be selected…

4 Likes

Pls make the schematic and code available, when you get it running…

1 Like

The stepper motor drivers arrived. I’m just trying to decide if I use a 555 timer with a potentiometer to drive the step rate, or use an Arduino and USB to let the speed be set from a computer… but at this point I can say with 100% confidence that I’ll be able to provide instructions for people to modify their turntables for lower/variable speeds. And I’m still sticking with my less-than-$15 cost estimate…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to it, thx in advance!

Sounds like the 555 might be easier/cheaper… most of us aren’t all that techy…

Meh. The Arduino approach is actually “simpler” from an assembly standpoint, if it’s just a potentiometer for speed control. The Arduino can read that, directly. And it can drive the stepper driver directly. Less soldering. A 555 will need a handful of discretes to go along with the pot.

I’ll have to write some code for the Arduino but that’s not a big deal at all. I use these things all the time for random projects.

For people who want to use my circuit, they’d have to know how to load code on an Arduino. But the Arduino IDE now has a “cloud” version, so you don’t even need to install any software to do it. And if you aren’t capable of soldering, one of those little Arduino prototyping boards that you stick the wires in to would be able to be used, you’d just want to wrap some duct tape around it after it was assembled and tested so nothing can get pulled out of the little sockets…

This is literally maybe a 1 hour effort. But I have drone racing tomorrow and Father’s Day on Sunday so I’m not sure when I’ll actually get to it. Please stand by. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am sold! The simpler the better. Looking forward to instructions! :blush:

Am wondering what came of this… Stepper motor + Arduino is a simple setup. Might even create one using a lazy susan from Ikea. I’m using an old 10cm PC fan - The motor itself is dead but its a smooth turning plate & works perfect.
Most on this forum will have a 3D Printer… so why not DL a turntable from Thingiverse

I have the parts. I figured out what I need to do. It’s like an hour’s work to get it done. Really very straightforward. But I’ve been so slammed by my real job I have not had a chance to get to it. I’m either focused on the job or too burned out to make it to my workshop to do the work. Haven’t even had much opportunity to play with the scanner itself. Bummer. :frowning:

This worked like a charm. Frank Gotzhein

Same idea. Mine uses smaller parts is all. Looks like the stepper board he used can drive more than one motor. Mine can’t, but it’s 1/4 the size. And I’m using an Arduino that’s on a board about 20mm square… The motor in the turntable isn’t anything special. Anyone who’s build a 3D printer has the skills to replace the stepper driver with their own tunable version.

1 Like

I purchased this one. Cheap, big and with lots of options:

€ 23,50 19%OFF | 20cm 360 Degree 5V Electric Auto-Rotation Photography Rotating Turntable Display Stand Display Turntable(Black mirror)

Just some observations:

• the video of the build posted later in the thread is a small DC motor, so seems like @RocketSled is discussing a POP2 turntable? I was looking at mine, “busted it open” indeed seems like the only option :disappointed:
  • Having just got mine (POP2), the turntable seems to have stopped and started on its own a few times. The LED by the USB connector is very clear, maybe it’s a receiver as well? Maybe there’s a future (or discarded?) plan to have the scanner control the turntable?

Yes, definitely sounds too complicated for a 1-speed turntable.

@robmlr , you can get better turntable for $7 on Amazon with 3 speeds than the original that came with POP2 , the led is not a receiver, it should be glowing red when it is on .