First Successful Scan - Wind Charm

My first several attempts were unmitigated failures. In retrospect, I think it is because my targets were too smooth, even with Marker mode used.

This wind charm (it blows good luck) is normally in the patio.

I scanned in Detail mode, with the charm placed on a turntable. The resulting PLY was 85 MB.

The HandyScan PC software allows me to pause a scan and change the scanner position (say, by extending the tripod mount) or moving to a completely different position before resuming. While not perfect, it has aligned the data it is getting with data previously acquired.

In this case:

  1. I scanned the face at approx. 60° from the orthogonal while rotating the turntable at a moderate rate.
  2. I then paused the scan and positioned the POP directly over the face (approx. 0° from the orthogonal) and continued to fill in small areas before moving the scanner closer to the edge (the flat areas were being ignored in the other scans).
  3. I saved this scan and set up a horizontal scan to get the thick edge of the charm.
  4. In Handy Studio, I aligned the two scans and merged them.
  5. I used the default file format (PLY) and loaded those into MeshLab for conversion the STL; I could have exported each in STL or OBJ (including textures), but this software isn’t fully mature and it doesn’t remember settings (preferred file folders and file types, among other things).
  6. In TurboCAD (my Mechanical CAD software), I used TC Surface Simplifcation to cut the number of triangles in half, then again by four for a result of slightly more than 1/8th the original file size. The results are almost indistinguishable, but this may be because I used the Smooth function in Handy Studio before exporting and loading into TurboCAD.


Hello, really nice scan results.

Thanks a lot for sharing