Cast aluminium hub for reverse engineering

Very happy how this turned out, measuring this by hand would have been very time consuming.

6 Likes

Quite nice, especially with the hollow area capture. How much effort did you have to put into that, by the way?

1 Like

No effort, it’s rough sand cast aluminum so the scanner picks everything up. The machined cylindrical area at the front is a machined finish so the gain needed to be turned down a bit as it came into view.

4 Likes

Looks nice. Especially the holes.

What settings (mode/gain/etc) did you use and what method of connection?

1 Like

Direct USB, feature scan. I usually adjust the gain to suit as different surfaces reflect more or less IR. In darker areas you need higher gain, on polished surfaces you need less but enough not to lose track or create drift.

2 Likes

Faultless integration with fully articulated CAD model - Pop has passed every test I have thrown at it so far.

2 Likes

An unrelated question: I can’t get my head around how to navigate those 3D-models. At least one axis is always unreachable, and the model seems to rotate randomly. At least I don’t see a proper correlation between axis-rotation and (mouse movement) + (key). How do I rotate a model around x-, y- or z-axis? Where is the axis system origin?

What firmware version does your POP have?

no idea, I saw a thread about upgrading somewhere but didnt read it.

The about box on HandyScan shows the version numbers. I expect you have fairly recent firmware since yours is working.

Firmware is V2.1.7.20210708

Is that good or bad ? :grin:

1 Like

this looks great, nice to show what is possible once leant.
i hope to get to this level!

That looks to be fairly recent. Several others have reported that version and have decent results.

I’m still back at v1.7.2 and it doesn’t work very well at all. Considering the firmware update…